Intro & First SS1000

Been lurking around for a month or so while planning my first SS1000. I attempted and completed it on 12-12-18. Major cities were Las Vegas, Phoenix, and San Diego. I submitted it yesterday for certification.

As an intro I am a retired police officer and reside in the San Diego area riding a BMW K1600GTL; however, we are getting ready to relocate to the Northern Nevada area. I hate to say it but the republic of California is killing me. Yesterday they reported that they are reviewing the option to tax text messages. uugghhh.

Since completion of the SS1000 I informed my wife that if we are still here in So-Cal this spring I would not mind attempting a 50CC. When I explained what that is to her she told me that she wanted to go with me. I have a comment. Can the IBA establish a new ride certification for me? Basically a CC in 50 days rather than 50 hours? See, if my wife comes along it will take about 50 days. She needs time to shop, sight see, buy shoes. That kind of thing.

Merry Christmas everyone!

SOSM

MarkG

Premier Member
Welcome to the insanity, it will become addictive. I did the 50CC for my third ride from San Diego to Jacksonville, not a bad run but watch the stop times. For the wife, use the outbound leg to scout for shopping on the way home. :)

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>I would not mind attempting a 50CC. When I explained what that is to her she told me that she wanted to go with me.<...>
Welcome! :)

I quote that part of your post, simply because I love my wife too much to torment her...but it did bite me.

I've told the story before, but essentially a few months after our son & his bride moved to SoCal (L.A. area), I said "Hey, wanna go on a motorcycle ride, eat lunch with the kids and sleep in your own bed?"

She surprised the you-know-what outta me and said "When do we leave?" :eek:

A few weeks later, after an hour and a half delay due to a thunderstorm here at home...about 19 hours later, we were home and we certified a two-up ride.

So, to help YOU out...she can't buy many shoes, since you're on a motorcycle - not that you can't ship stuff back home, but let her know the logistics of getting her finds home may be a point she's not considering... :D

Good luck!!

Rusjel

Premier Member
Congrats on your first IBA run! I love riding in California, not sure how I'd go living there though.

Wives, spouses and long distance riding....some couples form a great partnership and make it look easy. Others are at the very least, entertaining, others are a disaster. Only one way to find out which you guys are!

JAORE

Premier Member
Fly her to Jacksonville, FL, then take the 50 days going home.

My wife is an IBA member (SS1000 on a day when it hit 108 degrees!) riding behind me. I want a 50CC, but she's not at all interested. When I suggested the "I ride, you fly" option I got the "Yes" I was hoping for. Of course she wants to fly BOTH ways after shopping/sight seeing in SD, but, hey, you gotta compromise.

Last edited:
The wifey is not much of a rider. She is warming up to a fly in to meet me thou. We shall see...

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome! Much appreciated.

Now to plan the 50CC

SOSM

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Fly her to Jacksonville, FL, than take the 50 days going home.
This is what I recommend. I generally have my wife fly to a destination that I ride as a timed event and then we take a more leisurely trip back. However, my wife has her member ID completing a memorial SS and BBS as a pillion with me. If she changes her mind - just do the 100ccc. PS - I'm in Escondido. If

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congrats on your SS1K. I'm sure it will be certified in due course.

As for the wife, dangers lurk! She may surprise you in any number of ways. From simply enjoying the focus and planning as a passenger to notifying you that she wants to get her endorsement so she doesn't have to look at the back of your head. My wife rides her own bike and has since before I met her, so I have that advantage. She also has a 3 digit IBA number. But, tires are X2 as are many other bike related expenses! :eek: There are worse things. :)