iPad Usage

Ron

I have an old iPad lying around. Has anyone found a good use for tablets on a ride? Internet searching tells me the only thing it’s good for is GPS (of which I already have). What say y’all?

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I may actually be in the market for a used iPad for an entirely different endeavor. What model and how much would you be willing to take to part with it?

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Why would an iPad have an advantage over a gps for on the fly routing? Easier to move screen?
Not specifically iPad, but use an Android tablet for traffic and weather info. Used to have an XM Weather subscription on my 376c/478 but in recent years their product became such garbage that after 13 years at $60/month I dumped it and started using the tablet. Have not looked back since.

R

Roy Kjendal

Why would an iPad have an advantage over a gps for on the fly routing? Easier to move screen?
Simple route changes such as adding a Bonus point or removing it certainly is better done on the GPS but a major route change i would use basecamp.

Neerbeer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've been using an ipad mini for a few years now. I use it for several different functions. I like the MyRadar app for weather radar. It's nice to have a large screen to see this on.
I will snap a pics of the rally bonus information so I can read it while heading to the bonus. I use google maps and snap a pic zoomed in on the satellite image of the bonus location as well so I know where I'm going and what landmarks are around it. I will use the My Maps feature to load the bonus locations into Google maps so I can use it to "what if" on the fly.
In metropolitan areas especially I have used Waze to help keep an eye out for LEO's and traffic hangups.
And lastly, It gives me another answer to confirm the direction I want to take when each of my Garmins tell me something different.
The biggest challenge is how to manipulate the screen while in motion. If you don't wear gloves or cut the finger tips off of the hand you are using you are ok. Not to many of the touch sensitive finger gloves work all that well on the screens. Some of this may be due to the Lifeproof Nuud case I have it in.

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Similar to above, I have an iPad Mini 3 as part of my tech package. I run CoPilot GPS on it as it provides much better traffic information than the Garmins ($10 annual subscription). I also use the iPad for weather (MyRadar), Google Streetview to view bonus locations, and digital copies of the rally book. And, most importantly, as stated above, it gives me a 3rd routing display to settle disputes between the 2 Garmins (Zumo 660 and Dezl 770). I use a Lifeproof case and wear fingerless gloves (I know, I don't like to but it is necessary risk during rallies).

1579873428507.png

Hello all, first post. I hoping to run my very first Iron Butt ride this year (SS1000 out of the Memphis area) and joined here to start learning the ropes. Why use two Garmins? I like the idea of having two sources for data like one for trip guidance and another for live weather info for example but why two Garmin GPSs?

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hello all, first post. I hoping to run my very first Iron Butt ride this year (SS1000 out of the Memphis area) and joined here to start learning the ropes. Why use two Garmins? I like the idea of having two sources for data like one for trip guidance and another for live weather info for example but why two Garmin GPSs?
Good question and best wishes on your first SS1000 run.

There are two types of events in the Long Distance riding community: 1) IBA Certificate Rides and 2) for lack of better terms, Scavenger Hunt Rallies. The Certificate Rides are like your upcoming SS1000. The Scavenger Hunt Rallies are somewhat different in that you have a list of bonus locations that have their own point values. The challenge is to reach and claim the most valuable set of bonus locations in the time allowed. Some rallies are 24, 32, 33 hours in length and some of the more advanced rallies are 5, 6 or up to the big dance, the 11-day Iron Butt Rally.

My bike is set up to run the Rallies. In my approach, I use the Zumo 660 to hold my base route for the day or event. Being the most optimistic, the Zumo displays my endpoint arrival time. The Dezl is used more for point-to-point timing and for what-if evaluations. It is the most pessimistic in the arrival time calculation. I use it to display the arrival time and/or distance to the next bonus location. Often the two Garmins will not agree on the route so the iPad comes into play. It also has the best traffic reporting features.

That's just my strategy. Others use their equipment in different ways. Your results may vary.

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
tdragger

Are you using your phone as a hotspot and linking the iPad or are you using CoPilot offline?
Fortunately, my iPad includes the cell service features (not wifi only) and is included in our data plan. It doesn't use a lot thankfully.

CoPilot is an offline mapping system much like the Garmins. You download the map areas you need or the entire US and/or Canada as needed. The traffic feature does require the cellular connection (internal or through a hot spot).

I've had great experience with Google Maps' traffic feature. Do you think the Copilot traffic is the same or better? Is there a reason I shouldn't use Google Maps for this feature?

I currently use a Ram X-Mount for my phone (a Pixel 4XL which is IP68 rated). I'm thinking about adding a 2nd device (likely some older phone with a large screen that I can tether to my Pixel). On this I'd run MyRadar (thanks to this thread, I discovered MyRadar which is exceptional, bought a couple of the upgrades too!) for weather monitoring. Am I missing any other useful gadgets?

Last edited:

Neerbeer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
To elaborate a little bit more. I have a Zumo 595 and 665 that I am running in conjunction with my ipad mini 3. My 665 is the primary voice/direction GPS that is sync'd to my Sena 20S. I then sync my iphone to the 595 so i can see the caller id info on my GPS screen and make and receive calls through the 595. This allows me to keep my phone in my tank bag. I also listen to XM radio on the 595. That't how I fill most of the time in Rally's. If you are using the ipad or other device as the main routing GPS you could use it for your music streaming service of choice or audio book streaming as well.
On my ipad it has cellular service buy I only buy the prepaid air time for when I know I'm going to be needing it. I have always had enough doing it this way. And in a pinch I could hot spot off my phone.

As for other apps or gadgets. I will have the SpotWalla site up in the browser. I like to keep track of the other participants during Rallys where there is a public page to follow. It lets me know where the pack is and where I am in relation to others. I use a Spot 2 device with the spotwalla service. I have used Rever for tracking my shorter rides around home. I use it stand alone when I don't have the Spot with me or a spotwalla trip set up to keep track of my travels.

I have a stylus on a short retractable cord (to keep from losing it) to allow simple functions on the ipad if I have gloves on that do not work with the touch screen. Although most apps require 2 fingers to pinch and zoom around in them. Other apps for weather such as AccuWeather or Weather are useful. Google Earth can provide some cool features as well that are different than just google maps. Although I do not route using this.
One App I use a lot is the simple Notes app. When I'm riding for a long time, things will pop into my head that I want to remember later or to start a list of things I need to do, check, buy, etc.... I just make a quick note to remind myself later.
Brian