Iron butt Iowa sign

I noticed, in a few places, that people have visited a place in Iowa that has sign saying Iron Butt Iowa. I believe they mentioned Dennis Powell's pig farm? Can anyone tell me where it is actually located, I'd like to visit it for a photo OP ;-)
Thanks,
Jim

CB650F

Premier Member
Well, this gives me an idea. I'm in Rapid City, SD right now enjoying the wonderful roads around The Black Hills. It looks like that sign is 550 miles and 8 hours from me. Not long enough for a Bun Burner, but just about perfect for a SaddleSore. I wonder if I can find the owner's contact info to ask for permission to get a few pics with his sign.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
42.5095 -93.9123888888889

As said, it's right off the road. I imagine they are accustomed to people stopping to take pictures by now.

As an aside, no one has seen Dennis Powell for several years. Anyone know how he's doing or if he has passed? Last time I checked, I couldn't find an obit. But he dropped off the map.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
42.5095 -93.9123888888889

As said, it's right off the road. I imagine they are accustomed to people stopping to take pictures by now.

As an aside, no one has seen Dennis Powell for several years. Anyone know how he's doing or if he has passed? Last time I checked, I couldn't find an obit. But he dropped off the map.
Dennis does not mind if riders show up to take photos of the sign he made.

I have not heard from Dennis in a couple years so I sent him an email to see how is his doing. He bought a house in Arkansas that I believe he spends most of his time.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Can't believe I missed it by 4.5 miles during 48/10 last summer! I even had a fuel/night stop off US20 on I35, 20 miles away...:confused:
View attachment 5226
Amnon...thanks for the reminder that I rolled right by there as well...I spent the night ~100 miles south of there. Unfortunately, I left early in the morning to get around Des Moines before traffic got going.

Argh.

I'm going to ride there, as one of my planned stops, for my summer solstice SS1000 ride on Saturday. It's suppose to be stormy in Iowa and Nebraska Saturday, so I hope I miss the storms!!

Bill53

Premier Member
The Great Lakes Challenge I was going to do in July could have taken me through that point too. Dang Covid-19 has the border still closed...... sigh....

Neerbeer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I stopped by Saturday while on my Summer Solstice Ride. There was a little excitement just south of the sign. A grain bin full of corn was on fire. It caused me to take a short 2 mile gravel detour since they had 220th street closed Westerly where Hwy 17 makes a jog. When I say gravel... I mean slippery wet slop. It was a first gear tail wager of a detour in places. I happened to get there the same time as Michael Plumeri. He was nice enough to take the photo of me at the sign. Thanks Michael!

Bin Fire (small).jpg

Iron Butt Iowa Sign (small).jpg