Iron Butt / Iron Gut

A few years ago, I completed the Smoke Chasing Grand Tour. IIRC, the rules were that you had to eat at 12 BBQ or "smoke" restaurants in 3 or 4 states over about 3 or 4 months. Before I took the ride, I proposed to the organizers something a bit more challenging; The Iron Gut Challenge. That required that the rider eat at 15 different BBQ or smoke restaurants in 15 different states or provinces in 15 days or less. They accepted the challenge and it ran for 2 years that I know of until I lost track of them. ( I think the Smoke Chasing GT is no longer around. ) This was one of the best rides that I ever did. It was a challenge to find good places to eat, and great roads to rides and do it all within the allotted time. Surprisingly, I still love BBQ.

So, I would propose that the IBA take up the torch and add the Iron Gut Challenge to their roster of rides.

Here is the pin that I made for the finishers ( it's powder coated polished brass ; sorry, gold plating was getting a bit too expensive. )

And for a Gold IG?

I like BBQ but I understand why you called it the Iron Gut. 15 strait days of it... Of course it beats some of the stuff I have had to eat while on the clock or just touring.

I like the challenge.

IMHO, my Iron Gut Challenge was the Gold version of the ride although you could argue that variant "e" below was tougher but only by virtue of the number of states visited, not for the time limit.

The general rules provided were that the rides had to be completed any time from March 1 to November 30 as follows :

1) Rider must visit a minimum of 15 BBQ/”Smoke” Restaurants to be considered a Smoke Chasing Grand Tour finisher.
a) Backyard BBQer Visit 15 different BBQ/”Smoke” restaurants in one state*
b) Griller Visit 3 different states & visit 5 BBQ/”Smoke” restaurants in each state*
c) Smoker Visit 5 different states & visit 3 BBQ/”Smoke” restaurants in each state*
d) BBQ Pit Master Visit 15 different states & visit 1 BBQ/”Smoke” restaurants in each state*
e) King/Queen of Q Visit 30 different states & visit 1 BBQ/”Smoke” restaurants in each state*
f) SCGT2012 Grand Champion – Rider who receive the most BBQ points. See Prize Section.

While not taken into account officially, starting my May 2011 ride from Vancouver put me at a bit of a disadvantage. Having a lot of larger states and provinces to get through to cover the 15 states / provinces sure made things challenging. I actually started it once at the end of May and headed south. Just as I was heading into Texas and Oklahoma the winds got a bit too dangerous. Having left home 3 days late, I missed my scheduled lunch in Joplin which turned out to be the day the twister ripped through town. Lucky me. I shut my ride down, unfinished, and did it again 2 months later but headed east to Ontario first before heading south. Best rides ever and far more challenging to plan.

mkneebone

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
A few years ago, I completed the Smoke Chasing Grand Tour. IIRC, the rules were that you had to eat at 12 BBQ or "smoke" restaurants in 3 or 4 states over about 3 or 4 months. Before I took the ride, I proposed to the organizers something a bit more challenging; The Iron Gut Challenge. That required that the rider eat at 15 different BBQ or smoke restaurants in 15 different states or provinces in 15 days or less. They accepted the challenge and it ran for 2 years that I know of until I lost track of them. ( I think the Smoke Chasing GT is no longer around. ) This was one of the best rides that I ever did. It was a challenge to find good places to eat, and great roads to rides and do it all within the allotted time. Surprisingly, I still love BBQ.

So, I would propose that the IBA take up the torch and add the Iron Gut Challenge to their roster of rides.

Here is the pin that I made for the finishers ( it's powder coated polished brass ; sorry, gold plating was getting a bit too expensive. )

Yes, that passes the sick and twisted test, we would take that on, but need someone to head it up - David ? :)

Ok, I think my S.O. Sherri, the vegetarian, and I would be willing to take this on. I'm not too sure where to start this though. The original Smoke Chasing Tour is in a state of suspended animation if not entirely dead. I think it would be wise to go back to the organizers to ask for their blessing but not necessarily their permission. I coined the Iron Gut term so if we just used that, we should be ok. When I did my rides, I requested a lot of rule clarifications ( such as including provinces for those who live or venture north of the border ) and the creation of the IG Challenge that were accepted. Having done 1.5 Iron Gut rides, I think I have a pretty good idea on the rules but would put it to the forum for suggestions but also let things evolve. We would want a regular and a Gold version.

Suggestions anyone ?

I think I just talked myself into this...

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Ok, I think my S.O. Sherri, the vegetarian, and I would be willing to take this on. I'm not too sure where to start this though. The original Smoke Chasing Tour is in a state of suspended animation if not entirely dead. I think it would be wise to go back to the organizers to ask for their blessing but not necessarily their permission. I coined the Iron Gut term so if we just used that, we should be ok. When I did my rides, I requested a lot of rule clarifications ( such as including provinces for those who live or venture north of the border ) and the creation of the IG Challenge that were accepted. Having done 1.5 Iron Gut rides, I think I have a pretty good idea on the rules but would put it to the forum for suggestions but also let things evolve. We would want a regular and a Gold version.

Suggestions anyone ?

I think I just talked myself into this...
Just for clarification, when Mike says "head it up", he is saying that you set the rules. So you really don't need to ask anyone for a rule clarification in this case - it's up to you (with Mike's concurrence)!

I would counsel, however, that you make the rules and the verification process as simple as possible. But, as Einstein said, no simpler. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

I've gone through the old rules and come up with a basic and a gold ride. Comments and suggested changes are welcome.

Definitions :

States : Refers to any U.S. state, the District of Columbia, any of the Canadian provinces and territories.

Barbeque joints :

• The restaurant’s name must include the word Barbeque, BBQ, Smoke, Smokehouse or any variant thereof and appear on the restaurant’s sign.
  • Barbeque restaurants with more than one location may not be visited at more than one location.
  • Barbeque festivals are acceptable
Documentation :
  • Restaurant receipts
  • Ride log showing the date and location of each meal.
Iron Gut Challenge - Basic :
  • Rider must eat at 10 BBQ / Smoke restaurants in 10 different states within 15 days.
  • Riders must eat at restaurants in at least 1 of the following cities : Kansas City, St. Louis, or Memphis.
Iron Gut Challenge - Gold :
  • Riders must eat at 15 BBQ / Smoke restaurants in 15 different states within 15 days.
  • Riders must eat at BBQ / Smoke restaurants in at least 2 Canadian provinces.
  • Riders must eat at BBQ / Smoke restaurants in at least 2 of the following cities : Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis, or Lockhart, Texas (official BBQ capital of Texas.)

Last edited:

JAORE

Premier Member
Well, my mother always said I was not descended from Adam because no male in my family would ever give up a rib.... so I'm interested.

The Canadian provinces adds a lot of difficulty for an Alabama boy, but I suppose that's why it's Gold. And I've managed to wander up there a couple of times already.

Hmm, love Memphis, grand kids in KC for an ending point visit.

I love the pig pin. too.

Bring it on! I was plotting an in state course tonight. Might as well start preliminary thoughts using Memphis as a intermediate local.

Yep, yep, yep. (And thanks,)

I'll give you a head start on your Canadian BBQ homework, and these two are only 180 miles apart.

On the east side of Winnipeg, Manitoba is ( or, at least it was there in 2011 ) Lovey's Ribs & BBQ at 2 - 208 Street ( Lat 49-88147, Long 097.11909 ) Small but quite popular and very good food. In my Smoke Chasing log, I noted this as "the best so far" but it was only my 4th BBQ joint. There are motels within site of the restaurant so it's a good place for an end of day beer & Q.

180 miles east, right on the Trans Canada Hwy in Vermillion Bay, Ontario is Buster's BBQ. I did another Trans Canada ride this August and was pleased to see that it was still there. I'm not sure if it has a street address as it was sort of all by itself on the road side. ( Lat 49.86043, Long 093.39063 ). Take the International Falls, Mn / Fort Frances, Ontario border crossing. The road up through Sioux Narrows (Hwy 71) can be very nice - it's fishing country. If you like old aircraft, you will see a couple of very old, and very rare, twin engine Beech aircraft on floats on the east side of the road near Sioux Narrows. To or from Winnipeg to the U.S., there is a border crossing just north of Warroad, Mn. There are a few decent motels in Warroad. Spend the night; have lunch in Winnipeg and dinner in Vermillion Bay. Then head back towards Hwy 71 to Kenora where you will find lots of motels.

For anyone planning on entering Canada for the Gold, here are a couple of thoughts regarding crossing the border :

No guns,
No criminal record ( including DUI )
No medical marijuana even with a prescription.
Better not to carry any fresh food like apples.

And your PASSPORT or Nexus card is MANDATORY. I believe this is more to re-enter the U.S. than to enter Canada.

ANIMAL

Premier Member
sounds interesting. are you looking to make a special cert. for this. since it is on the order of eggsanity, do we prereg. and must show a flag? thanks al

I don't know about the cert ; I'll have to ask Ira what more needs to be done to move on before the weather warms up. I don't see any need to pre-register.

The original Smoke Chasing challenge required a photo of your bike and the little blue log book they issued in front of the eatery. I believe the Four Corners does that as well but with a flag. A bit too much pomp and ceremony for me. Dated receipts and log of locations and a restaurant review should just about do it. Not unlike regular IBA documentation but without the witness.