it's never as good as the picture

Just taken delivery of a usb charge point for the bike, when the packet arrived i thought it was the bearing i'd ordered due to the size but surprise inside a usb charge point. darn its a lot bigger than the picture on the internet, pretty sure it doesn't need to be so big. my original plan was to mount it somewhere around the head stock for convenience, this was no longer practical. spent more time looking for a mounting spot than fitting it. eventually i squeezed it in under the seat and really there was not much choice on where it would locate.
in hindsight its probably a deceptive picture and just for fun there were no dimensions but its on now just have to take the seat of to use it "seats are for wimps"

Traxx

Premier Member
I had the same issue and am still trying to figure out where to mount it. It is a 2 port usb with volt meter. It is a lot bigger than the picture.

I mounted a single USB port on my left handlebar next to the switch cluster. It's not very big and is covered when not in use. They also had a dual USB port available. It has a couple of mounting options.

I looked at a dual port with LED volt meter but passed due to the size, as you mentioned Traxx.

Attachments

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I mounted a single USB port on my left handlebar next to the switch cluster. It's not very big and is covered when not in use. They also had a dual USB port available. It has a couple of mounting options.

I looked at a dual port with LED volt meter but passed due to the size, as you mentioned Traxx.
Do you not have a USB port as standard fitted in your glove box?

~Martin~

RBLR1000 Finisher
IBA Member
Not a fan of the handlebar ones as you cant use them in the rain. Much better in a glove box or cubby and a long lead to the handlebars.

glove box?? Dave not i cat in hells chance of getting gloves in the little box provided on mine. well not bike gloves. no not provided with usb port as standard just a old 12v supply point i don't understand why not presumably not the demand.

Do you not have a USB port as standard fitted in your glove box?
Yeah, it's there - unfortunately it doesn't appear to provide enough power to a phone running WAZE, Spotify, Spotwalla and whatever else is running in the background. It doesn't provide a positive charge to the phone. The cigarette lighter port with a more up to date adapter will charge a phone with all of the aforementioned running. However, then you have to contend with a cable running up and out to the phone - close the glove box door or not. If you close it, in the long run, you end up damaging the cable and/or the door. I used it with the door open and, frankly, it ruins the aesthetics of the bike.

This puts the USB port next to my RAM mount - works for me.

Last edited:
glove box?? Dave not i cat in hells chance of getting gloves in the little box provided on mine. well not bike gloves. no not provided with usb port as standard just a old 12v supply point i don't understand why not presumably not the demand.
Maybe a pair of little cat's gloves...? cat gloves.JPG

Not a fan of the handlebar ones as you cant use them in the rain. Much better in a glove box or cubby and a long lead to the handlebars.
Probably in a torrential downpour in stop and go traffic, it could be an issue for me, in which case, I plug the phone in, in my trunk and rely on audio only. Typically I mount my phone for nav on the handlebar and with the excellent weather protection the Triumph Trophy provides, rain isn't really an issue, unless it's more than the typical Florida rainfall - "raining pets", as my daughter used to say, when she was little. If I'm just listening to music, I leave my phone in my pocket and Bluetooth it. When the USB is not in use, it has a waterproof cap, which so far, has proven to be so.

One concern with a long lead is the potential for voltage drop, which may or may not be a factor to consider when installing it. Some electronics are overly sensitive when it comes to the voltage they want.

Winglider

Ex-Wiinglider
IBA Member
I have just bought a Givi ST602 Tanklock Tank Bag . Plus a Nippy Normans power hub & Canbus plug.
I cut the normal plug off one end of the power supply lead, and connected the lead to the canbus plug.
This went through a waterproof gland nut that went through the wall of the tank bag. And then connected to the block of USB power outlets inside the bag, giving hopefully a totally waterproof environment in which to charge mobiles, cameras etc.

The only problem is that I forgot that Brown is live:rolleyes: when I wired up the Canbus plug.
And when I plugged it in, I heard a fizzing sound and saw smoke coming out of the tank bag.:eek::eek::eek:

I have gone to plan B now:p:p

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Steve In the first month of ownership you have filled that bike with Diesel, thrown the panniers down the road at speed and now attempted to burn it to the ground !!!! ffs:eek:. In other pastimes you managed to throw yourself down a ravine nearly killing yourself and had several attempts at drowning !.
Have you thought about stamp collecting as your main pastime;)

I have just bought a Givi ST602 Tanklock Tank Bag . Plus a Nippy Normans power hub & Canbus plug.
I cut the normal plug off one end of the power supply lead, and connected the lead to the canbus plug.
This went through a waterproof gland nut that went through the wall of the tank bag. And then connected to the block of USB power outlets inside the bag, giving hopefully a totally waterproof environment in which to charge mobiles, cameras etc.

The only problem is that I forgot that Brown is live:rolleyes: when I wired up the Canbus plug.
And when I plugged it in, I heard a fizzing sound and saw smoke coming out of the tank bag.:eek::eek::eek:

I have gone to plan B now:p:p
Kind of sucks when the smoke gets out like that - there's no way of recapturing it! :eek:;)

Traxx

Premier Member
So I purchased a usb port/volt meter for install in the battery cover panel for phone charging power. It was to just to big. So what I did was swap it out with the 12v cig power inside the glove box. The I put a small hole to route the lighting plug through and to the phone. Like this it is switched with the engine but I do have to open the glove box to see the volt meter.
Ohhhh and one other thing, the 12v power in the glove box was the American style and the other ones are Euro/BMW style. Is this what ya'll are finding?

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
I bought an Oxford Products handlebar USB port to fit onto my KTM, but bought a new model before I could fit it. The new bike comes with a usb port as standard, so I no longer need it. I could take it to the Dorset RTE if anyone wants it?

Winglider

Ex-Wiinglider
IBA Member
Steve In the first month of ownership you have filled that bike with Diesel, thrown the panniers down the road at speed and now attempted to burn it to the ground !!!! ffs:eek:. In other pastimes you managed to throw yourself down a ravine nearly killing yourself and had several attempts at drowning !.
Have you thought about stamp collecting as your main pastime;)
Bit to Boring for me :confused:
Jon if I wanted a quiet life I could have become a Nun (I can do that you know coming from Brighton) :p:p:p
Theres no point in wrapping yourself in cottonwool, it's the little mishaps, that makes life interesting.:eek::eek::eek: