I've been thinking.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
The germ of an idea for an extreme ride,
St Hellier channel isles - Lerwick Shetland isles in X Number of hours,
Started with the ferrys Portsmouth - Jersey £119.00 return
Aberdeen - Lerwick £110.00 return both motorcycle + rider
£229.00 just for ferry's:eek: these are one sample quote for with a bit more searching i could possibly find cheaper, Channel isles return is 2130 gets into portsmouth 0630 next day
i thought of doing foot passenger to Jersey £89.00 (if that would be allowed) but the return is next day by the time you add hotel for the night it would probably be more expensive than taking the bike over and where would you leave the bike on the mainland?
Opinions and ideas please.

Ian M

could you not fly? jersey to exeter or bournemouth, then inverness to lerwick or aberdeen to lerwick
then ride your bike own on the mainland bit

think the Aberdeen route works out the best but the price is quite restrictive around £400 bike and pillion return. its stopped me using it so far which is a shame shetlands somewhere i've wanted to visit for a long time now. it gets cheaper if you dont have a cabin but its a long crossing

Aitch

What about picking islands linked to the mainland by bridge or causeway eg could start at Isle of sheppey, then to Hayling Island, up to Anglesey, Walney Island and then finish on Skye...

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
While a ride from the most southerly to the most northerly point sounds good, when you look at it on the map it's essentially a 600-mile ride from Poole to Aberdeen, with a ferry at either end. I doubt anything like that could ever be approved as a certified ride - after all, it includes 12 hours' rest on the boat!

Perhaps there's a ride that could be done from St Helier to Kirkwall, via Calais. That's a bit under 1,200 miles; Google Maps reckons it can be done in 23 1/2 hours. That time includes a couple of hours on the ferry from St Helier to Granville, and another 2 1/4 from Scrabster to Stromness.

Regards,
Martin

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Unfortunately, there aren't patches or pins for the N.E.W.S. ride or the 'Full Monty' :(
Hi Kim ,
Its like everything , there is a cost to producing these items that so few undertake to ride.
We are at present carrying over 10K worth of IBA merchandise.
However In my time as shopkeeper for example I have sold only a very few ss1500 pins/patches, no Fools gold patches at all and very few of any others.
Most of the patches are bought by new ss1000 riders who took part in the R.B.L.R rides.
Recent (themed ) rides like the Armistice and Dam busters events are helping to reverse the trend which is great news.
This is possibly the way forward to getting more riders out doing bigger rides.
The other factor is that on such a small island riders are getting bored riding up and down the same motorways but on different rides and having to filter for mile after mile on the (m6) etc.
Maybe more rides in Europe with different themes is in order and its great we are taking the time out to think up new rides like Gordon, Kim, Mark and John.
So anyone at all can plan a ride (ss1000 ss1500 )etc, themed or not and having ridden it themselves may submit it for verification and offer it for others to try.
So come on who's next ???.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Kim ,
Its like everything , there is a cost to producing these items that so few undertake to ride.
We are at present carrying over 10K worth of IBA merchandise.
However In my time as shopkeeper for example I have sold only a very few ss1500 pins/patches, no Fools gold patches at all and very few of any others.
Most of the patches are bought by new ss1000 riders who took part in the R.B.L.R rides.
Recent (themed ) rides like the Armistice and Dam busters events are helping to reverse the trend which is great news.
This is possibly the way forward to getting more riders out doing bigger rides.
The other factor is that on such a small island riders are getting bored riding up and down the same motorways but on different rides and having to filter for mile after mile on the (m6) etc.
Maybe more rides in Europe with different themes is in order and its great we are taking the time out to think up new rides like Gordon, Kim, Mark and John.
So anyone at all can plan a ride (ss1000 ss1500 )etc, themed or not and having ridden it themselves may submit it for verification and offer it for others to try.
So come on who's next ???.
Thanks for your informative reply John, I have to agree with getting a bit fed-up with roadworks and the same motorways. Having lived in the US for many years it's completely different arena as you know, as is Europe. So I'm all for exploring Europe more, was thinking of going to Spain this Xmas holiday but ferry's to Santander/Bilbao are all booked up, and weather over the Pyrenees is not favourable. I was hoping to get an SS?k in kilometers. Will have to think of a Plan B!

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for your informative reply John, I have to agree with getting a bit fed-up with roadworks and the same motorways. Having lived in the US for many years it's completely different arena as you know, as is Europe. So I'm all for exploring Europe more, was thinking of going to Spain this Xmas holiday but ferry's to Santander/Bilbao are all booked up, and weather over the Pyrenees is not favourable. I was hoping to get an SS?k in kilometers. Will have to think of a Plan B!
The Polish RTE is 1600k+ each way.....

You could do a few miles extra on the way back from the French RTE.

Or you could do a French Polishing ride via Wank, Germany:eek:

Last edited:

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
I like your thoughts, always wanted to go to Wank...as for the Polish RTE, I have thought about doing that in one hit, 1651K, 15+ hrs plus stops and no roadworks or traffic...yeah right!
1543327052983.png

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Think the themed are good and its getting more out riding them, plus makes money for the IBA UK we just need to watch we dont end up with too many