Jump Starters for Bikes

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It might be more helpful if you provided a link to the unit you had a look at. I have no experience with the Hi-Q products. I did look for it based upon your description and it appears you refer to This Unit. Rather more bulky at 43mm thick than either the Antigravity or Juno units.

I've been very pleased with my Juno Jumper. I've had two Antigravity Micro-Start XP-3 units as well, and I much prefer the Juno for motorcycle use. More compact, has held up much better over time and holds a charge longer.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My 600 Fazer had an odd intermittent charging/battery issue for some months and I used the Juno many, many times to start that bike in the field before I sorted it. I ended up installing a hard wire cable to the battery so I could directly plug in the Juno w/o needing to get to the battery itself. Made for a re-start in seconds instead of having to break out the tools, lift the tank, etc. That cable is HERE I have the V1 of the Juno, and the older XP3 style plug is what it uses. Verify your plug style before ordering a cable, naturally. I found the same price on ebay w/free shipping too, so best to hunt around.

my jump starter getting as bit tired now so been looking at this problem there are some really small ones about and they may not have the umph for bigger motors cranking power seems to be the key factor. sort of ruled out the micro start and i'm leaning towards a noco gb 40 bigger and heavier than what your looking at but has lots more umph. Any one had experience with this unit?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The Noco gb 40 looks very similar to the Hi-Q unit in appearance. (same China factory?) I find it a tad annoying that neither actually tells you the size of the lithium battery, instead giving you what they themselves 'rate' it at.

My Antigravity XP-3 would start my 5L V-8 truck 3-4 times before needing a recharge. @stig of the dump - That said, are you looking for a jump starter to work with autos and bikes or just for bikes?

bikes and cars seems pointless having one that wont do both. easy charging on the noco just takes a usb connection so can recharge whilst riding.
figures everything comes from china now gb 40 is what my local bike dealer uses just a bit bulky but will start from completely flat battery so they say. still researching smaller is handier but smaller means less umph (cranking power) so still unsure which way to jump i'll read up on the juno

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Well, this is a motorcycle forum. :cool: I keep the XP-3 in the car and the Juno on the bike. I guess it depends on your needs and how often you need a jump start unit. My bike space is much more limited than my car space and if I'm moving something between bike and car, how likely is it that I'll forget to swap it over when I need it on the road?

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I was an early user of the XP-3 in mid-late 2013. Saw it at a car trade show in Alb., NM and thought it fit perfectly for the bike on the road duties.

Fortunately for me, it's never started my bikes, but has started others and cars. I'm still using that same XP-3 and generally try to remember to charge it at least twice a year. Never fail me yet.

That said, the Juno Jumper might be the ticket for the bike. Thanks Eric.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I could not get a Juno Jumper 2 but I did order what I saw as an equivalent Arteck A7 Portable Car Jumper.

I'll see if it works and let you all know.

I'm a bit restricted in my electrical knowledge and get bamboozled by the claims of some of these products but at £25 it's worth a punt; just got to find a fellow biker with a flat battery now.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I could not get a Juno Jumper 2 but I did order what I saw as an equivalent Arteck A7 Portable Car Jumper.

I'm a bit restricted in my electrical knowledge and get bamboozled by the claims of some of these products but at £25 it's worth a punt; just got to find a fellow biker with a flat battery now.
That looks very comparable to the Juno. Good find, I hope it works well for you and I look forward to the follow up report.

I got that one, just did some modification as had no SAE battery connector ;) it did is job, not tried on BMW with canbus but it should work aswell

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I got that one, just did some modification as had no SAE battery connector ;) it did is job, not tried on BMW with canbus but it should work aswell
You might not want to do that if you're trying to jump a vehicle thru the SAE connector. It's not really rated for that amperage. If you're using the SAE to power a device, no issues.