June 50cc help

Hello everyone, first let me introduce myself. My name is Matt and I have just recently discovered this wonderfully painful hobby. I ride an 05 Hayabusa and have one certified SS1000 under my belt. I am planning a BB1500 for May with a second SS1000 attached to the return trip. The reason for this post is I am also planning a 50cc for late June and need to find some credible witnesses in San Diego as well as Ft. Lauderdale. So I thought I would check here first since you all know the joys of the ride. Let me know.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
.............I started my 50CC in Jacksonville Beach; the police department there is very used to us Iron Butt riders, and were very helpful with those witness forms......
I turned around on my 100CCC at Jacksonville Beach.

Jacksonville Beach, Atlantic Beach and Neptune Beach. It seems like one stretch of sand, but the street signs, shops and Police station seem to mix them up. Thankfully I’d checked the location - right at the end of Interstate 10 - and also put the address into the GPS, so around the corner to the Neptune Beach Police Station I go.

The receptionist said to me as I stumbled in cradling helmet, camera, sand jar and all my papers “ Are you one of those Iron Ass biker types?” Close enough. “Yes, all the way from Australia”. “You got yer papers for signing?” Gold. She had a look, then called on one of the detectives to bring a badge and come and sign my documents.

The detective thought I was mad, but she checked my log, gave the bike a once over and signed me off.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Two days earlier, I rolled into Jax Beach P.D; went right to the station; same drill happened at the end of a SS2000 ride.

Young officer did the certification. At the end, I told him that I was leaving in two days (for my 50CC start) - about the same time, and that I'd be back.

Well, when I went by the Gate Gas Station for my 50cc start, there were two officers sitting there; I didn't need to go to the P.D; they were waiting for me! One was the training corporal, and his other officer trainee. The corporal used my witness forms as training, and stated it's a nice diversion, rather than having to mess with belligerent drunks in the middle of the night.

I'm sure Ft. Lauderdale P.D. might do something similar, it just seems that the ones closer to the start/end point are used to our momentary interruption of their evening/morning. :)

Now that I have some witness questions solved I have one more question about time zones. Does the ride count for going through time zones if I travel east. On a 24 hour ride if I start in Pacific time will my 24 hours be calculated off of pacific time or do I go by the time on the clock in my new time zone?

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hello everyone, first let me introduce myself. My name is Matt and I have just recently discovered this wonderfully painful hobby. I ride an 05 Hayabusa and have one certified SS1000 under my belt. I am planning a BB1500 for May with a second SS1000 attached to the return trip. The reason for this post is I am also planning a 50cc for late June and need to find some credible witnesses in San Diego as well as Ft. Lauderdale. So I thought I would check here first since you all know the joys of the ride. Let me know.
I am in Fort Lauderdale, [email protected] is my email address.

I thought I heard that somewhere but when I looked at the description of the membership it doesn't list that perk so I wasn't sure if it was real or not. Can you eliminate witnesses for gold level rides as well?

So I decided to become a primer member to do away with witnesses all together. I think the $40 is a steal to not have to worry about finding that witness at 3am like I had to for my SS1000 (luckily that witness was my brother so he had to wake up anyway hahaha)

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
So I decided to become a primer member to do away with witnesses all together. I think the $40 is a steal to not have to worry about finding that witness at 3am like I had to for my SS1000 (luckily that witness was my brother so he had to wake up anyway hahaha)
FYI, one never needs to worry about a witness at 3am - if it's the end of the ride, you can wait until later in the morning to collect your end witness. If you plan on starting at 3am, you can obtain your starting witness the evening before.

That said, it's still a good thing to become a Premier member. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Yeah for sure, I just got my first premier member email welcome email and there are quite a few perks. Just gotta get my resume more filled out for one of those premier member spots in the rally.

Welcome to Premier.

I have done the 50CC quest a few times, usually in March around the JAX Pizza Party. I started in Santa Monica (SMO) because I lived only 15 miles from the start and it was not worth the 100 miles saving to ride to San Diego (SDO) but I have done a 100CCC starting and ending in SDO.

I advise;

Plan your route at about 80% of your expected range - know your fuel stops and have an alternative
Particularly in west Texas do not push your fuel. The combination of wind and high speed can have a surprising effect on range.
Pay attention to thunderstorms - particularly in west Texas and New Mexico.
Leaving or approaching SDO the mountain range can be cold, very cold - and the wind on corners can be dangerous. Watch also for sand in the road, particularly on corners.
I-8 is mostly wind-open but there can be enforcement. I run about 84 in AZ and CA.
Leaving the long slow-zone in Tucson, be patient. There might be a speed tax collector at the very end of the slow-zone, just before it goes back to 75mph.
New Mexico has "safety corridors" which is a code phrase for revenue enhancement zones.
El Paso has a long slow zone but usually not much of a traffic issue. I use WAZE to get through cities. If for any reason I-10 is clogged in El Paso take TX-375, Trans Mountian loop. This adds about 5 miles to your route.
Just east of ELP (near mp66) the speed limit jumps to 80mph and there is not a slow down until Kerrville. Over 450 miles, you got a rocket ship so watch the fuel.
Once you get to San Antonio, most riders I know take FM1604, Anderson Loop around the city. The fist/last couple of miles are not divided four-lane and there are a half dozen stop lights.
Approaching Houston (use WAZE) can be a crapshoot. The Sam Houston Tollway might save you time. I have a toll transponder but when I did not I blew off the tolls and did not get a ticket (I think the Wing's license plate is positioned such that the camera does not get a clear photo).
Houston to the LA state line there is a short 65mph zone and it is ENFORCED.
Once in Louisiana, the roads are going to be worse and more crowded so get used to it.
The loop (I think 210) in Lake Charles is usually no faster, I usually stay on I-10
Baton Rouge can be by-far the worst metro area as there is no loop and few alternatives. Advise WAZE but delays here can be brutal, over an hour.
Just west of Baton Rouge is a long slow zone over a swap (the whole state is pretty much a swap). Watch for enforcement.
Just east of Baton Rouge take I-12 which cuts off the drive into New Orleans, one of the great cities in the world but not for a 50CC.
You can expect a minor slow down in Mobile over a bay on an elevated section of I-10 and through a short tunnel.
In Florida, the freeway is lined with trees (just a beautiful and SUPER FLAT drive). Deer, deer, and more deer.
I-10 ends/begins at the 95 which (if west to east) you take about 10 miles to Butler Blve (FL 202) to A1A. Turn north and the GATES station is about 1/2 mile or so.
I have ridden it 13 times and love it.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused (What else is new?). If you become a Primer Member, do you still need witness signatures or is it a perk of Premiere Membership not to require witnesses?

I'm a little confused (What else is new?). If you become a Primer Member, do you still need witness signatures or is it a perk of Premiere Membership not to require witnesses?
No witnesses needed for Premier but you have to take pictures of your receipts next to your moto ODO and provide a Spotwalla map. This is my understanding, not an official response.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
John has described the process well, and is a Premiere Member perk. So, ride start, check receipt, if good, photo receipt and odometer, begin ride.

Repeat until done.

Again, not an official response.