June 50cc help

Welcome to Premier.

I have done the 50CC quest a few times, usually in March around the JAX Pizza Party. I started in Santa Monica (SMO) because I lived only 15 miles from the start and it was not worth the 100 miles saving to ride to San Diego (SDO) but I have done a 100CCC starting and ending in SDO.

I advise;

Plan your route at about 80% of your expected range - know your fuel stops and have an alternative
Particularly in west Texas do not push your fuel. The combination of wind and high speed can have a surprising effect on range.
Pay attention to thunderstorms - particularly in west Texas and New Mexico.
Leaving or approaching SDO the mountain range can be cold, very cold - and the wind on corners can be dangerous. Watch also for sand in the road, particularly on corners.
I-8 is mostly wind-open but there can be enforcement. I run about 84 in AZ and CA.
Leaving the long slow-zone in Tucson, be patient. There might be a speed tax collector at the very end of the slow-zone, just before it goes back to 75mph.
New Mexico has "safety corridors" which is a code phrase for revenue enhancement zones.
El Paso has a long slow zone but usually not much of a traffic issue. I use WAZE to get through cities. If for any reason I-10 is clogged in El Paso take TX-375, Trans Mountian loop. This adds about 5 miles to your route.
Just east of ELP (near mp66) the speed limit jumps to 80mph and there is not a slow down until Kerrville. Over 450 miles, you got a rocket ship so watch the fuel.
Once you get to San Antonio, most riders I know take FM1604, Anderson Loop around the city. The fist/last couple of miles are not divided four-lane and there are a half dozen stop lights.
Approaching Houston (use WAZE) can be a crapshoot. The Sam Houston Tollway might save you time. I have a toll transponder but when I did not I blew off the tolls and did not get a ticket (I think the Wing's license plate is positioned such that the camera does not get a clear photo).
Houston to the LA state line there is a short 65mph zone and it is ENFORCED.
Once in Louisiana, the roads are going to be worse and more crowded so get used to it.
The loop (I think 210) in Lake Charles is usually no faster, I usually stay on I-10
Baton Rouge can be by-far the worst metro area as there is no loop and few alternatives. Advise WAZE but delays here can be brutal, over an hour.
Just west of Baton Rouge is a long slow zone over a swap (the whole state is pretty much a swap). Watch for enforcement.
Just east of Baton Rouge take I-12 which cuts off the drive into New Orleans, one of the great cities in the world but not for a 50CC.
You can expect a minor slow down in Mobile over a bay on an elevated section of I-10 and through a short tunnel.
In Florida, the freeway is lined with trees (just a beautiful and SUPER FLAT drive). Deer, deer, and more deer.
I-10 ends/begins at the 95 which (if west to east) you take about 10 miles to Butler Blve (FL 202) to A1A. Turn north and the GATES station is about 1/2 mile or so.
I have ridden it 13 times and love it.

Wow John thanks so much for that write up. It is very helpful. Right now my goal is to lump a BBG from San Diego to Dallas(my brother lives there and it only adds about an hour to the trip to go there instead of Houston) then an SS1000 from Dallas to the coast. Get 3 certs in one ride. This of course is all depending on weather and other variables falling into place to allow it. And dependant on how my BBG attempt in May goes.

Interesting. It looks like you will have to add a detour to get to 2500 miles. I am interested in how this ride goes, particularly the stretch of US 49 from Jackson to Mobile. Dallas for Houston is a wash, same advice on toll roads - and Dallas a bunch of 'em

You will get the pleasure of riding through the oil patch on I-20, possible the smelliest interstate in the country (maybe a tie with I-76 from Denver to Nebraska - feedlots every few miles). The upside is the 20 has some 80mph but quickly drops to 75. Also, the 20 is rather busy once you get past Big Spring - mostly trucks, watch'em.

Let us know how this route works, I might try it some day

This is the plan as of right now
Day 1
Start at South Carlsbad state Beach
North on I5 to 133/241/91 to I15
Take that to Barstow and I40
Ride that to Amarillo then take the 27 south to Lubbock.
Take the 84 to I20 and ride that to Richland Hills for a total of 1571 miles day 1 satisfying a bb1500
Day 2
I20 East to Jackson MS.
Take 49/98 to I10
Ride that to Jacksonville Beach
For a 1045 mile ride satisfying a SS1000 and completing my 50cc

Might substitute some smaller highways for those big stretches of super slab but I may just play it safe for my first big ride and get creative some other time.

Looks like a fun route but it does have a lot of corners to mark because it is 200+ miles longer than the "direct route". I hope you can use Spotwalla to share the ride with us.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
This is the plan as of right now
Day 1
Start at South Carlsbad state Beach
North on I5 to 133/241/91 to I15
Take that to Barstow and I40
Ride that to Amarillo then take the 27 south to Lubbock.
Take the 84 to I20 and ride that to Richland Hills for a total of 1571 miles day 1 satisfying a bb1500
Day 2
I20 East to Jackson MS.
Take 49/98 to I10
Ride that to Jacksonville Beach
For a 1045 mile ride satisfying a SS1000 and completing my 50cc

Might substitute some smaller highways for those big stretches of super slab but I may just play it safe for my first big ride and get creative some other time.
What time are you starting? The I5 to 133/241/91 to I15 can be a real challenge with traffic even with the ability to split lanes - not to mention all the construction going on around the 91/15 with frequent overnight closures. I really enjoy taking the I8 to I10 where you can pick-up the I20 after Van Horn. I did my 100ccc last year starting in Ocean Beach which made more sense for me to take the I8. With a 2am start - I was able to go through all the major urban areas i.e. San Antonio, Houston etc. during off-peak times - but I rode straight through without stops except for fuel and a sleep break in Jacksonville Beach before coming back the other way. I think it is great you are looking to get 3 certificates for the ride - but you know you can only count one towards mile eater. Good luck - looking forward to the RR.

Scott

I am not sure how much experience you (Matthew) have with SoCal traffic but it can be a nightmare. I lived in the San Fernando Valley for 21 years and just left last year. Get out of SD/LA area toward Barstow well before the party starts at about 05:30. My option you need to be rolling out of Carlsbad no later than 03:00 (Assuming it is a non-holiday workday)

My plan was to camp at a camp ground at South Carlsbad state Beach and get up to leave at 2am. I've been through the SoCal area during different hours on a few different occasions so I definitely have an idea of how bad the traffic can get.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
My plan was to camp at a camp ground at South Carlsbad state Beach and get up to leave at 2am. I've been through the SoCal area during different hours on a few different occasions so I definitely have an idea of how bad the traffic can get.
2am is a good start time. I would recommend when you get closer to the start date to check CalTrans website for freeway closures as I have been delayed for long periods as traffic is detoured to surface streets - especially around the 91/15 junction lately. BTW - Carlsbad State Beach is a great location. If you are like me - prior to a ride I have not attempted before; you probably won't get much sleep anyway. :)

Hahaha oddly enough I always sleep better when camping than I do at home. Thanks for the tip on CalTrans website. I wasn't aware of the ongoing construction issues and that would have been a bummer.

Howard Entman

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
When you take a pic of your gas receipt and odometer, please be sure that both are readable (your verification team will thank you!) and that the receipt includes city, state, time and date. When you get a good pic, email it to yourself. That way, if you do lose your receipts (which can happen even to the bestr of riders--don't ask me how I know), or if they get soaked and unreadable in a torrential downpour, you still have the required documentation.

Here's a good pic.

Second Gas Stop.jpg Second Gas Stop.jpg

Howard is a bigwig so no criticism intended; I would write the time on the receipt from an independent clock THAT DOES NOT CHANGE TIMEZONES. The suggestion of email is on point, I would add Dropbox and Google Drive (now called Backup and Sync - what a stupid name). Both are free (limited use).

I also make sure Location Services is running on the mobile so the photo has embedded location and time information.

Sometimes capturing a shot of the receipt and the ODO can be challenging (WY with the wind blowing 50mph), I try my best and then take solid photos of each individually. This is not the IBR, there is no penalty for extra photos.

I always send photos to the verification team unedited. If it is edited the metadata will so indicate and this (in my mind) makes the photo suspicious.

We are sitting around 2.40/gal here in New Mexico. But unfortunately we have quite a bit of property crime. A couple days ago someone tried to steal my bike. Tore up the ignition cylinder and top tripple tree cover.

We are sitting around 2.40/gal here in New Mexico. But unfortunately we have quite a bit of property crime. A couple days ago someone tried to steal my bike. Tore up the ignition cylinder and top tripple tree cover.
Welcome to Premier.

I have done the 50CC quest a few times, usually in March around the JAX Pizza Party. I started in Santa Monica (SMO) because I lived only 15 miles from the start and it was not worth the 100 miles saving to ride to San Diego (SDO) but I have done a 100CCC starting and ending in SDO.

I advise;

Plan your route at about 80% of your expected range - know your fuel stops and have an alternative
Particularly in west Texas do not push your fuel. The combination of wind and high speed can have a surprising effect on range.
Pay attention to thunderstorms - particularly in west Texas and New Mexico.
Leaving or approaching SDO the mountain range can be cold, very cold - and the wind on corners can be dangerous. Watch also for sand in the road, particularly on corners.
I-8 is mostly wind-open but there can be enforcement. I run about 84 in AZ and CA.
Leaving the long slow-zone in Tucson, be patient. There might be a speed tax collector at the very end of the slow-zone, just before it goes back to 75mph.
New Mexico has "safety corridors" which is a code phrase for revenue enhancement zones.
El Paso has a long slow zone but usually not much of a traffic issue. I use WAZE to get through cities. If for any reason I-10 is clogged in El Paso take TX-375, Trans Mountian loop. This adds about 5 miles to your route.
Just east of ELP (near mp66) the speed limit jumps to 80mph and there is not a slow down until Kerrville. Over 450 miles, you got a rocket ship so watch the fuel.
Once you get to San Antonio, most riders I know take FM1604, Anderson Loop around the city. The fist/last couple of miles are not divided four-lane and there are a half dozen stop lights.
Approaching Houston (use WAZE) can be a crapshoot. The Sam Houston Tollway might save you time. I have a toll transponder but when I did not I blew off the tolls and did not get a ticket (I think the Wing's license plate is positioned such that the camera does not get a clear photo).
Houston to the LA state line there is a short 65mph zone and it is ENFORCED.
Once in Louisiana, the roads are going to be worse and more crowded so get used to it.
The loop (I think 210) in Lake Charles is usually no faster, I usually stay on I-10
Baton Rouge can be by-far the worst metro area as there is no loop and few alternatives. Advise WAZE but delays here can be brutal, over an hour.
Just west of Baton Rouge is a long slow zone over a swap (the whole state is pretty much a swap). Watch for enforcement.
Just east of Baton Rouge take I-12 which cuts off the drive into New Orleans, one of the great cities in the world but not for a 50CC.
You can expect a minor slow down in Mobile over a bay on an elevated section of I-10 and through a short tunnel.
In Florida, the freeway is lined with trees (just a beautiful and SUPER FLAT drive). Deer, deer, and more deer.
I-10 ends/begins at the 95 which (if west to east) you take about 10 miles to Butler Blve (FL 202) to A1A. Turn north and the GATES station is about 1/2 mile or so.
I have ridden it 13 times and love it.
A friend just turned me on to this thread as I am planning a 50cc in mid-February. I havent done a 50cc before so planning this from scratch is a little interesting. I have read all the hints you gave and applied them to my trip as best as possible. The challenge right now is gas stops in West Texas. What gas locations work for you? My steed is a new BMW R1200RT. I'm not really sure what kind of range i'll get out of my tank as I only have 300 miles on the bike now but I cant see why I cant get at least 225 out of a tank. So far I have been trying to keep it around 180 miles per stop. Basecamp doesnt show much in the way of gas in West Texas

When I did my ss1000 part of it was from El Paso to San Antonio and I stopped every 100 miles or so for Fule with no real issues. Granted I passed through in the middle of the day so everything was open.

A friend just turned me on to this thread as I am planning a 50cc in mid-February. I havent done a 50cc before so planning this from scratch is a little interesting. I have read all the hints you gave and applied them to my trip as best as possible. The challenge right now is gas stops in West Texas. What gas locations work for you? My steed is a new BMW R1200RT. I'm not really sure what kind of range i'll get out of my tank as I only have 300 miles on the bike now but I cant see why I cant get at least 225 out of a tank. So far I have been trying to keep it around 180 miles per stop. Basecamp doesnt show much in the way of gas in West Texas
You are really talking about the area east of El Paso to Kerrville (mp 508-510), this is the 80mph zone.

MP-72: 1 station (Shell) may not be 24 hour
MP-107: 2 stations, 24h
MP-138-140b: Van Horn, lots of fuel, food, lodging, 24h
MP159: 1 station, unverified
MP212: 1 Station
MP256-261: Fort Stockton, lots of fuel, food, lodging, 24h
MP294: 1 station
MP365: Ozona, lots of fuel, food, lodging, 24h
MP400: Sonora, fuel, food, lodging, 24h
MP456: Junction, lots of fuel, food, lodging, 24h
MP465: 1 station
MP501, Fuel
MP505: Fuel
MP508: Kerrville, lots of fuel, food, lodging, 24h

That is really the end/beginning of west Texas as I see it.

I recommend the app iexit (IOS and Android) as well as the website, iexitapp.com for planning. It lists what is at every interstate exit and usually includes phone numbers so you can call and verify. It is free. The website can be a little tricky to figure out at first.

If you are planning on overnighting in west Texas MAKE A RESERVATION. Hotels are used by the oil patch companies and I have been skunked twice and paid $180 for Motel-6 once.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
John has been across there many times - probably has that data memorized. :)

This is where the concept of 'don't be a pedestrian' comes to mind. If you think you might want to 'short pit' (a.k.a. not go a complete fuel run), it works, but only if you're good with executing the 7, 8, 9 minute long fuel stop. If you're running to 80% of your fuel range regularly, and really are comfortable with pushing it, then do so.

I didn't want to push that far, but how I figured out the best way was I could make it in two stop. Why push it; divide the stop distance into thirds. Yeah, I'm stopping at the 160 mile mark, but I'm also getting fuel in seven or eight minutes. At the 1400 mile (or 24 hour) mark on a 50cc, you shouldn't be sweating twelve or 14 minutes of stoppage time.

John has been across there many times - probably has that data memorized. :)

This is where the concept of 'don't be a pedestrian' comes to mind. If you think you might want to 'short pit' (a.k.a. not go a complete fuel run), it works, but only if you're good with executing the 7, 8, 9 minute long fuel stop. If you're running to 80% of your fuel range regularly, and really are comfortable with pushing it, then do so.

I didn't want to push that far, but how I figured out the best way was I could make it in two stop. Why push it; divide the stop distance into thirds. Yeah, I'm stopping at the 160 mile mark, but I'm also getting fuel in seven or eight minutes. At the 1400 mile (or 24 hour) mark on a 50cc, you shouldn't be sweating twelve or 14 minutes of stoppage time.
I'm in line with your thinking. Adrenaline is part of my go power. Not chemicals. Thanks John Cooper for that app. Its on my phone and already put to work. BTW- I'm running from JAX to SD, sorry i didnt put that earlier but the info applies the same. I'm really getting exited to do this thing