Kevlar Jeans

Guys,

What's your opinion on the above?

With ATGATT as a motto I somehow feel they are lightweight protection, but a lot easier to move around in.

Opinions?

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I haven't yet tried them but I have considered them and my approach is to ask the question "what protections do I need?" The obvious answer is "whatever it takes to keep me alive, dry, warm, cool & comfortable" but of course compromise is involved.

My main concern in the event of unanticipatedly parting company with my bike is road rash and I believe that kevlar jeans would provide pretty good protection against that. If I was overly concerned about minimising impact damage I'd pair them with some strapon armour of some sort. That only leaves the rain ...

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Hi Mike,

I have two pairs. My Draggin' Jeans have kevlar down the outside seams of the leg, over the knees, round the bum, and in the hip area. I'm not entirely convinced they would work very well if you slid for any distance (unless you were sliding on your arse); I suspect they would rotate on the leg, and thus bring a non-kevlar bit into contact with tarmac. My other pair are from a company called Grinfactor, and they sell them as 'paranoid' jeans. They have kevlar in the same places as the Draggin' jeans, but then they also have a second kevlar lining, of the entire jeans. So even if they rotated, there would still be kevlar between you and the road.

I didn't buy them because I was paranoid - I just wanted something which would be warmer than the Draggin' ones, and thus could be used more of the time when the weather's cold! The only downside to the Grinfactor pair is that the velcro used on the pockets that hold the knee protectors can be scratchy.

Regards,
Martin