laminated bike gear

Ian M

just wanted recommendations/general consensus on the preffered lamianated bike gear

has to be laminated suffered from mild hypothermia in a drop liner suit when it got soaked one winter

any recommendations/experiences but NOT Fukka (Rukka) - main zip's gone for the second time leaving me stuck in the F' shit

customer service could do with a lesson from John Lewis

Ian M

Aerostich
i like the idea of their one piece stuff handy for site visits and getting changed put my site stuff on underneath

rukka
not been a happy partnership despite the £2000 cost, within the first week the poppers on the trousers bust so sent back, the jacket zip broke leaving me stuck in it at a site meeting, until i could get hold of a paper clip to release the zip cam and then the zip split its full length whilst riding last week.
the supplier apologised but it has to be sent back to be assessed - what is there to assess? a garment of less than two years old has failed that is guaranteed for up to six years (not going to last six years then)

watching a review on the new model of the same jacket indicates its known issue - hence the design change in the zip

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Revit Poseidon. Going strong after many years. Till it was cut off me last week. Poseidon 2 has a storm collar so could be even better. Will be replacing with Poseidon 2.

Ian M

i'm sorry to read that gordon, hope its no too bad

i have seen reviews about the Stadler suit but never met anyone (virtual/in real life) who has one any further reviews would be welcome

paulcb

Premier Member
Maybe it's because I'm on the other side of the pond, but what do you mean by 'laminated' gear? Insulated, waterproof, both? I've not heard that term related to motorcycle gear.

paulcb

Premier Member
Thanks Gordon... laminated and drop-liner were two unfamiliar terms to me relative to motorcycle gear, although the concepts are well understood.

just under 12 months ago i jumped into the laminated gear pond. it has been a big mistake so far. i purchased a pair of Klim pants quite expensive and supposedly really good according to every one i spoke too.
we were still in lockdown so not much chance to use them a t first then it was mostly sunny so no real test. first issue came in reasonable rain on the A66 and my right leg started to get wet puzzling as to the cause i thought maybe the zip wasn't fully closed. and carried on then i did the national rally and it rained pretty hard a t times i was getting seriously wet from two locations the crutch and the right vent zip.
dumb as it might seem i couldn't locate the receipt. this would potentially be a problem returning to a dealer but no worries KLIM does a lifetime guarantee as they were only a couple of months old that eliminated them wriggling out of it. so i contacted them, then the real problems started. too cut a long story short i had to wash them take pictures etc and send them back to the USA not cheap. while i was doing this i discovered what was wrong with the zip some bozzo had stitched right through said waterproof zip rendering it useless.
they of course eventually assessed the pants this took several weeks and they hummed and arred. i pointed out they had a manufacturing defect which is down to them. eventually they agreed. no stock of these pants in the world apparently so they'll make some more. that sounds ok when end of November damm it was then july ish.
november came and went i contacted them in december there had been a delay end of december. december came and went they arrive in january this year. Same manufacturing defect but this time on two zips . same process again starts i do what i did before pictures etc. then instructed to send them back they've got them now but i cant get any answers as to what is happening they wont answer my e mails etc there system is saying no stock and case re opened,.

so far i'm into this for over £500 pounds had half a dozen opportunities to use the pants and they failed twice. and that isnt the worst of it i could live with it if the after market / lifetime guarantee was worth anything. it isn't.

i'm sure people have bought this product and they have been great from new. dont have a problem and need to get it replaced i'll not buy from this company again.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
I've no idea if my Frank Thomas Aqua kit ( I think its now discontinued by J&S Accessories) is laminated, drop liner or something else, I'm guessing it's something else. Having acquired it pre-owned from my late father it is older than I know, 12+ years or more, but it's the best motorcycle clothing I've owned. It keeps me warm, dry and protected from whatever our British weather wants to unleash and apart from replacing the armour it has never needed any repair. Remember Storm Ciara in February 2020? I was out riding in that to and from the Dragon Rally in North Wales and the Aqua kit did its stuff in keeping me warm, dry and protected.

Very happy to recommend Frank Thomas Aqua kit if it's still available.

Ex Royal Mail nylon waterproof hi-viz jacket and grey over trousers is what I carry and wear in the summer to supplement my summer riding mesh jacket and trousers when riding after dark or if it rains.

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
I've no idea if my Frank Thomas Aqua kit ( I think its now discontinued by J&S Accessories) is laminated, drop liner or something else, I'm guessing it's something else. Having acquired it pre-owned from my late father it is older than I know, 12+ years or more, but it's the best motorcycle clothing I've owned. It keeps me warm, dry and protected from whatever our British weather wants to unleash and apart from replacing the armour it has never needed any repair. Remember Storm Ciara in February 2020? I was out riding in that to and from the Dragon Rally in North Wales and the Aqua kit did its stuff in keeping me warm, dry and protected.

Very happy to recommend Frank Thomas Aqua kit if it's still available.

Ex Royal Mail nylon waterproof hi-viz jacket and grey over trousers is what I carry and wear in the summer to supplement my summer riding mesh jacket and trousers when riding after dark or if it rains.
I think your making good sense John, we are too carried away by the latest and newest bits of kit and tech today. I was looking at a Klim suit only last week that would cost me over 2k. Mental pricing but it is good stuff. Not sure what the answer is . Triple bonded laminate is the expensive choice today and is found on the Klim badlands pro and the Kodiak suit, as well as Rukka's latest high ticket items.
Here's a link that discuses these different products.

Sportsterpaul

My experience was much different than “stig in the dump” with my laminated pants. I purchased a pair of Aerostich AD1 pants, lighter weight, black and added the rain boot pocket option as well a nomex heat protection up the lower right leg. These became my go to riding pants as I lived in them for four years. Misting rain to near gale force, temps from 20F-140F+, maybe 60,000 miles worth until a 60m.p.h. slide attempting an exit off I-75 in Detroit returning from a mercy run to Florida. Right leg pinned under the bike and a few bike parts showed pavement grinding. Including the pants which ground through at the knee,(that knee being titanium held up well), the knee grinding continued down through the knee armor but no marks to the flesh below. Boot toe almost ground through and many rips and tears to my Tourmaster Transition 5 jacket. Leather gloves had serious grind damage but again skin below unscathed. First thing I did was order another pair of AD1 pants, long length,( a new no cost option), in gray with nomex up the right leg. I wii NOT be without these pants, ever. That has to speak volumes.

Sportsterpaul

Eric, I recently visited the “Belstaff” site and was surprised to learn that they offer a complete range of products including textile, leather as well as the traditional waxed cotton. And yes pricing is up there with many of the better rated manufacturers. Interestingly I’ve been planning a road trip over to Duluth, home of Aerostich, a bit over 715 miles as I would like to shop their jackets. Leather, textile and waxed cotton are offered and being their to try on for fit is priceless.
Have you looked at “Moto Legends” an English outfit that have some excellent discussion on pros and cons particularly regarding laminates vs. drop in. And some very good notes on comfort and performance between many manufacturers.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Paul, I'm in the US and have a lot of miles riding with Aerostich and Klim jackets, (Darien and Latitude Misano). I was wondering about Belstaff from Stig's point of view, since he's in the UK and had a negative experience with US products, so perhaps a UK company might be easier for him to deal with. I'm not a fan of liners, though put up with inside/outside rain liners for my mesh gear. Otherwise it's goretex or comparable for me. I've been to Klim in Idaho, but never made it to Aerostich in Duluth, though have been around that region a fair bit while on the clock. I did go look at the Moto Legends site. Rukka, Klim and some others.

My first pair of truly waterproof moto pants were Belstaff. No venting, but kept me dry for a lot of miles. Their product line has expanded quite a bit since I last looked.

Sportsterpaul

Yes, I knew you were here, just referenced them for their very clear and thorough comparisons between products and manufacturers. Much of their product is European in origin but the comparative data was very enlightening.