Laptop for routing

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
My laptop is 8 yrs old so I'm looking for another one, I hardly ever use it anymore, I use my ph for everything, so the only thing I'll use the laptop for is to plan my trips and check military email, so I'm just looking for something cheap and durable that I can carry on the bike, what's the most popular brand and size of computer that most riders use?

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
Last year I switched to a Mac Book Air - it's light, quick and reliable, just what I needed. Not cheap though...

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Bought and used too many $200 or $300 laptops - and got what I paid for. Crap - all of 'em.

Lenovo Yoga 2 - 13" model. Once all of the spyware crvst was expunged - and with the addition of Windows 10, it's really not a bad machine at all.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Lenovo was known for having some creepy spyware on their systems until not too long ago. Make sure you go online & verify that's the case!

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Finally did it, made a route on Google maps, copy and pasted it to tyre then to my gps, I'm starting to figure out how this works now.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Could you please elaborate on the tyre thing?
Thanks,
Tyre is a routing program, I have a Tom Tom gps and that's what the tom tom site had me download, it's free, but if you want more than basic you have to pay. I don't know if I'm doing more work than needed to get the waypoints into my gps, but it worked. But it's called tyre to travel, I tried to paste the site here but it won't let me.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Check out WOOT today for good, cheap deals on old refurbished Dell Latitudes, I have one that I am typing on now, D 830.
$129 for the D 830 less for some, more for others. My 830 has been banging around in the truck for several years and keeps on tickin. Not fancy or fast but works for routing and such.

Bought and used too many $200 or $300 laptops - and got what I paid for. Crap - all of 'em.

Lenovo Yoga 2 - 13" model. Once all of the spyware crvst was expunged - and with the addition of Windows 10, it's really not a bad machine at all.

I have been using an Acer 1410 Aspire 11" netbook for the past 5 years while traveling. The small screen and slow hard drive got to me so I got the bug to put some cash into circulation while saving my eyes and mental health.

Thanks for mentioning the Lenovo brand. I did some research/comparisons and ended up buying a 14" Lenovo E450 Think Pad with Windows 7 Professional, 4gb memory, and 500gb sloooow hard drive.

I installed a 256gb solid state hard drive and am very happy now that I have a larger screen and a VERRY fast hard drive.

It has 3 USB 3.0 ports and I also got a couple USB 3.0 16gb thumb drives.

My wife was thrilled to take over the Acer so it's a win win situation.

Larry

I just switched to the Samsung Galaxy Tab E (tablet). Loving it and can get all the apps I need, with built in WiFi and Bluetooth. Yes, it's under $200 and I got mine at Best Buy for $175.