LD comfort

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I'm looking at the site, I'm poking around at getting a few items, are there different combinations for winter versus summer? Do most riders have different sets for different seasons, they are expensive, so is there a middle ground?

Super8mm

Premier Member
I dont think there are any seasonal items other than shorts/short sleeve and long sleeves and long legs.

I use long myself, I have done everything from 27° to 106° on long trips and they work just fine.

but in the end your mileage may very

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Patrick's post above mine is spot-on.

It took me a while to become a believer...and it's finally taken my wife a bit longer to also become one.

You can spend a *lot* of money, just looking for some gear that's 50% or 60% of what LDC does. I've not found anything - and I have a lot of 'riding shirts' in my closet as proof. So does my wife. :/

In the end-game, you have spent a whole lot more than that initial cost in getting at least one shirt to actually 'try it, you'll like it!" for yourself.

I just placed an order this weekend for the undershorts. If they work as good as the shirts do, I'll be very happy.

That would be my suggestion.

Ignacio

IBR Finisher
Do most riders have different sets for different seasons, they are expensive, so is there a middle ground?
That's part of the point with these things. You wear the same thing weather it's 119 degrees in Phoenix (dang glad to be wearing them in the 2009 Iron Butt Rally) wicking away sweat and helping in cooling and in addition to my electrics in 40-something Minnesota (yep...same rally) as a base layer for warmth. Or, I wear them with electrics and a fleece in the teens.

The middle ground is they work in a 72-degree dawn in Kentucky (yep...same rally) just as well. Wore that same set of LD Comfort for 11 days straight (I did soap up in the shower with them on in Bemidje though).

I have two sets of the same stuff if I'm on a long ride these days, but still do wear the original set of the long-johns and full sleeve as part of my rotation.

I've found for adventure riding they're even better than LD riding.

They are expensive, but worth it.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you go out and ride in extreme temps, I did last week when it was 110', you sweat but the exterior of the LDs is wet but inside is not. Makes a big difference in how you feel.

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
Wore that same set of LD Comfort for 11 days straight
Just came back from a 5_1/2 days rally in Europe. Same LDC set through. Socks - Tights - Top - Helmet Liner. No washing whatsoever...
Cold, hot, dry, humid, pouring rain. Felt great.
But in the last few hours I kept looking at the side of the road. Could swear I was riding over an open sewer....

Ignacio

IBR Finisher
Another bit of wisdom. If you are ever talking to Mario don't mention that sometimes you might use a dash of gold bond in your LDs.
However, if you do....he might have a piece of advice worthwhile in the mini-rant. I had to get very explicit with him on my end (and dangly bits), but the end of the conversation/gesticulation event I finally understand one of his points that made sense.....and now don't have to consider powdery augmentation to LDCs.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>I had to get very explicit with him on my end (and dangly bits), but the end of the conversation/gesticulation event I finally understand one of his points that made sense.....and now don't have to consider powdery augmentation to LDCs.
One more reason why we take the advice of the wise men and women of this sport, and treat their words with the respect they deserve...

...the fact that they have truly "been there, done that!" means we all benefit from this wisdom. :confused: :D

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You can rock up on your toes and then back down so your ankles rotate. Don't have to slow down. I do it about every 20 minutes. My daughter calls them calf thrusts, or something like that. They seem to work for.me.

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Crotch raw after several days of LD riding? Try "Desitin Max". Seems the same bacteria that causes diaper rash causes LD riding crotch awareness. Especially, in hot weather environments.