LD comfort

V

vikingolly

LD Comforts are very good. But not perfect. In very hot weather, I use a different brand - but it was 122 degrees F in TX during the last IBR and it did pour with rain on a regular occasion! My suggestion for crutch breathing is to fit bar-risers to your handlebars and spend some real time (particularly going through small towns) standing on the pegs to get some flow-thru.

I am aware that this is blasphemy around these parts, but I bought (2) pairs of LDC long pants based on the reputation they have, and I was underwhelmed. I mean, they're fine, and I've certainly had worse, but for me they only reach optimal performance in sub-80f temperatures. Above that and they're hotter than pretty much any other base layer I have. The Klim 1.0 long pants I bought OTOH work great from blast furnace temps all the way to 50f or so, and as far as I can tell give nothing away to the LDC stuff in any way. Also the Klim fly is much better, and the Klim stuff is better at gliding around under my over-pants, be they Kevlar jeans or other over-pants. I will admit that 2.5 days is as far as I've gone in one go in these pants, so I can't speak to the 5 day thing.

On a side note, as it happens these Klim 1.0 jobbers are on closeout at Revzilla right now for $25 a pair. They run a bit tight (and ya I'm well versed in wearing stretchy underlayers...they're really a bit tight/size I promise) so maybe go up one size.

thekaz

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am aware that this is blasphemy around these parts, but I bought (2) pairs of LDC long pants based on the reputation they have, and I was underwhelmed. I mean, they're fine, and I've certainly had worse, but for me they only reach optimal performance in sub-80f temperatures. Above that and they're hotter than pretty much any other base layer I have. The Klim 1.0 long pants I bought OTOH work great from blast furnace temps all the way to 50f or so, and as far as I can tell give nothing away to the LDC stuff in any way. Also the Klim fly is much better, and the Klim stuff is better at gliding around under my over-pants, be they Kevlar jeans or other over-pants. I will admit that 2.5 days is as far as I've gone in one go in these pants, so I can't speak to the 5 day thing.

On a side note, as it happens these Klim 1.0 jobbers are on closeout at Revzilla right now for $25 a pair. They run a bit tight (and ya I'm well versed in wearing stretchy underlayers...they're really a bit tight/size I promise) so maybe go up one size.
We need to get us a hanging rope for this BLASPHEMER!!!! LOL
do not think your alone in your opinion. I tried several IBA rides with LDC but just went back to my previous gear.

I'm looking at the site, I'm poking around at getting a few items, are there different combinations for winter versus summer? Do most riders have different sets for different seasons, they are expensive, so is there a middle ground?
I’ve been wearing the Top Long Sleeve Mock Turtleneck SKU: LDCLS07 L and the Men's Riding Shorts SKU: LDCD607 L since 2004.

In temps from -15 to 121 degrees F., I always feel clean and comfortable.

Carry one spare set in bag to swap out every few days.

Washing in the sink with mild soap is easy and they will dry overnight.

I caught my shirt trying to sneak out the door one night after 6 days, so 3-4 days is ‘mo better before washing/changing.

Worth every penny of the moderate price.

JAORE

Premier Member
My D-I-L heard me describing the shorts to my wife (already am wearing the shirt). Bingo.... another Christmas hint taken. I look forward to road testing them soon.

And FWIW I tried Gold Bond (mentioned above), once instead of talc. For whatever reason it reacted with me in a way that I believe I'd be better off coating those parts with kerosene. No smoke, but I swear there was fire.

And, no, I won't use talc in my LD shorts. I believe the theory is it will plug up the breathing capacity.