Le Jog 9th July 2016, Meet Lands End 5am to sign in/complete paperwork

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm not going to do this ride chaps, too risky without an extra key that far from home, but if you'd like to drop your SPOTs here I'll put up a combined event page linked from the main site,

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Steve
This appears to be the only site with such an early time for sunrise.

On various other sites (including the Met Office)
Nautical Twilight (first light) 03:40
Civil Twilight begins (dawn) 04:41
Sunrise 05:24

The ride will start at 05:24.
This has always been a sunrise to sunset ride not daylight, twilight or anything else. To get the special certificate you will need to leave after sunrise and be in Jog for sunset. I will witness the start and end and record odos.

There is nothing to stop you taking longer but you will need to complete the paperwork in the normal manner and submit it for verification.

If by chance I do not make the finish due to some unforeseen circumstances you will need an end witness and receipt.... from the bar. So take some witness forms with you.

This is not a race. The aim is to complete the ride safely with in the available time which is doable at normal iron butt average speeds.

I'll be riding down Saturday morning but will be in the carpark before 5am.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
From old Forum Runners and riders for Le Jog

I thought, how about 'breakfast' at Land's End and dinner/drinks at John O'Groats.

Departure just after sunrise (5:24am) and photo from Lands end. Hopefully at JoG by sunset (10:15pm) for team photo

FazerPhil wrote:
Having had another meeting with Gordon there will be special rules for this ride. I will be at Lands End to sign everyone out and at jog to sign everyone back in. You will need to collect intermediate fuel receipts but NOT start and end receipts as I will witness your start and end. You should only attempt the daylight end to end if you are used to riding for long hours or have previously completed an Iron Butt ride. I will be staying over Saturday night at John o groats so can also sign riders in who take longer to complete the ride. Anyone who completes the ride in Daylight will get a special "Daytime End To End certificate " The fee Will be the normal £25.
This has always been a sunrise to sunset ride not daylight, twilight or anything else. To get the special certificate you will need to leave after sunrise and be in Jog for sunset. I will witness the start and end and record odos.

There is nothing to stop you taking longer but you will need to complete the paperwork in the normal manner and submit it for verification.

If by chance I do not make the finish due to some unforeseen circumstances you will need an end witness and receipt.... from the bar. So take some witness forms with you.

This is not a race. The aim is to complete the ride safely with in the available time which is doable at normal iron butt average speeds.

I'll be riding down Saturday morning but will be in the carpark before 5am.

Phil,,,, I was also asked the question and think some of us read the description of the ride which seemed to suggest that the normal ride is sunrise to sunset and anyone completing it in Daylight will get a special "Daytime End To End certificate "
Which is another ride category.

Hopefully everyone knows now that the Daylight is Sunrise and Sunset for this ride....

See you on Sat :) (Sunrise) and for a Beer (Sunset)

Unfortunately I have to drop out of this, I'm afraid the old ticker is playing up at the moment.
Hope you all have a great days ride and enjoy your free pint when you get there, courtesy of 'John'.

Going to have to pull out of this one. Can't see me getting much free time this year tbh. Work has gone in to overdrive mode and need to make hay while the sun shines. Will be in a lot better position next year so fingers crossed... will still follow you lot if that's OK. Best of luck to you all

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Sorry we can't make it due to new job and can't get Friday off going to do end to end on Saturday (end to end in village, pub to pub) ride safe I be watching on SPOTs and on stand by for a Key Run

Winglider

Ex-Wiinglider
IBA Member
I have abandoned my ride; at the moment I am struggling to do the more challenging rides.

Although I rode to Lands’ End and started with the other riders at 5.23am this morning. As I left I got a pain in my left Hip this is normal for me due to an old injury from several years ago.
I can normally ride through the pain as it only lasts about 5 minutes. But this time it didn’t stop.
I had a battle in my head the length of the A30 as to whether I should press on or go home as the pain was not getting any better.
Decision time came (just as Phil went flying past). At the Junction of the A30 & M5, do I carry on up the M5 north or take the slip road for Honiton?

Honiton won

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Up this morning at 3:30 from hotel and away at 4.00.
Met Phil and Ziggy before setting of earlier than the group.
Made good progress until the RAIN came down and by the time i got to Manchester M56 i was totally soaked p*****d off, misted up and cold. Couldn't see further than 20 feet through the spray.
So i headed home not wanting to do a further 8 hours in this !.
Best of luck to the hard core souls who will persist.

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Made good progress until the RAIN came down and by the time i got to Manchester M56 i was totally soaked p*****d off, misted up and cold. Couldn't see further than 20 feet through the spray.
Never mind don't know what the weather is like further up north but not been too bad here in Yorkshire think its to do with been on the wrong side of the Pennines ??!

Winglider

Ex-Wiinglider
IBA Member
So the Aerostich suit was working well ? :):):)