Long distance fuel tank

Fransvdm

Premier Member
My new bike only has a 19 litre fuel tank.

For all you long distance riders that use fuel cells fitted to your motorcycle:

1. Do I need a fuel cell with or without safety foam? My intention is to mount a 4 gallon plastic JAZ tank on the rear seat and then gravity will empty it into the main tank which is located underneath the bike's seat? My logic tells me that while the fuel cell is full, the fuel won't slush around, and when I open the tap, it should empty rather quickly.
2. Please help me with the plumbing requirements. The red outlet will be on the right side of the bike, since the sloped part needs to allow for the top box to be opened.

Thank you for your advice

Frans

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Frans what bike?
The plumbing requirements may be different.
Eg my Temere and FJR I drilled the tank; the F800GT I used the vent line; the postie bike I tapped the reserve line.

Some don't need a tap/ball valve whereas others do.

All options will be outlined and are doable, once the bike is identified.

Vlad

Premier Member
Nice bike Frans. On my underseat tank, which is the same as your wing, I drilled the fuel sender plate and fitted a bulk head fitting to it and I'm guessing you can do the same with the CTX. The fuel line routes along the inside of the frame and pops out under the back seat. It's a permanent fixture and there is a quick disconnect at that point which allows you to take the tank off when you want. My tank has a fuel tap which is kept closed untill the main tank hits reserve, it's also closed when you fill it. The overflow fuel canister on the F6 floods from the main tank being to full if you don't. The bike won't run if this happens. Again I'm guessing but yours will probably be similar. I get all the parts necessary from Earls performance, which is probably overkill but they work. Not cheap either. The quick disconnects are from BMW.

Last edited:

Fransvdm

Premier Member
Nice bike Frans. On my underseat tank, which is the same as your wing, I drilled the fuel sender plate and fitted a bulk head fitting to it and I'm guessing you can do the same with the CTX. The fuel line routes along the inside of the frame and pops out under the back seat. It's a permanent fixture and there is a quick disconnect at that point which allows you to take the tank off when you want. My tank has a fuel tap which is kept closed untill the main tank hits reserve, it's also closed when you fill it. The overflow fuel canister on the F6 floods from the main tank being to full if you don't. The bike won't run if this happens. Again I'm guessing but yours will probably be similar. I get all the parts necessary from Earls performance, which is probably overkill but they work. Not cheap either. The quick disconnects are from BMW.

Scott
I will remove the seat tonight and have a look at the tank of the bike. I will post a pic of the tank, similar to this pic of yours. I also would like to have the option of removing the tank, not sure why though.

I haven't bothered looking at anything yet, still waiting for parts to arrive:
1. Cruise control - arrived last Thursday
2. Lights are on their way from USA - waiting
3. New GPS - arrived last Saturday morning
4. voltmeter - waiting
5. USB connectors - waiting

Once I strip the bike, I want to do the whole lot and get it ready for a bit of a test run for a ride that I plan later on this year.

sixty6north

Scott
I will remove the seat tonight and have a look at the tank of the bike. I will post a pic of the tank, similar to this pic of yours. I also would like to have the option of removing the tank, not sure why though.

I haven't bothered looking at anything yet, still waiting for parts to arrive:
1. Cruise control - arrived last Thursday
2. Lights are on their way from USA - waiting
3. New GPS - arrived last Saturday morning
4. voltmeter - waiting
5. USB connectors - waiting

Once I strip the bike, I want to do the whole lot and get it ready for a bit of a test run for a ride that I plan later on this year.
Oooooooooo . . . . . planning something are you? - sounds verrrrrry interesting

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Frans I first thought that the underseat tank location may make accessing the 2 vent lines a possibility, until I saw a pic of how the bike is filled. That filler neck is likely too high for that method.

I think drilling the pump access plate is the way to go as Scott suggested. There appears to be ample space:

So plumbing the JAZ will require some form of fitting to the 'red' and an inline tap that you can reach to turn when you hit reserve. A vent line off the 'blue' fitting at the top would be good. Or better still, a barbed rollover vent and hose - routed down to behind the rear wheel - and a small inline filter on the end of the line to limit the dirt ingress.

Once you figure out the mounting (I think those 15L tanks may have fitted steel strap mounts available - ask the fuel cell supplier) and where the tank fits in relation to your butt it is easier to plan the outlet from the tank via that 'red' fitting.

Fransvdm

Premier Member
Frans I first thought that the underseat tank location may make accessing the 2 vent lines a possibility, until I saw a pic of how the bike is filled. That filler neck is likely too high for that method.

I think drilling the pump access plate is the way to go as Scott suggested. There appears to be ample space:

So plumbing the JAZ will require some form of fitting to the 'red' and an inline tap that you can reach to turn when you hit reserve. A vent line off the 'blue' fitting at the top would be good. Or better still, a barbed rollover vent and hose - routed down to behind the rear wheel - and a small inline filter on the end of the line to limit the dirt ingress.

Once you figure out the mounting (I think those 15L tanks may have fitted steel strap mounts available - ask the fuel cell supplier) and where the tank fits in relation to your butt it is easier to plan the outlet from the tank via that 'red' fitting.
Peter

The supplier said there are no strap mounts available for this tank. I will fabricate them. I will mount the tank on top of the passenger seat, using the same bolts that hold the bracket for the top box. That would not be a problem.

Drilling and plumbing into the tank would be a first for me and I am a bit nervous doing that. I suppose once I have the bike stripped once the tank arrives, I'll have a good look into it.

Fransvdm

Premier Member
Does anyone want to suggest a supplier where I should buy the fittings and other parts from?

I haven't done this before, but 19 litres is not much. I only had 1 tank through the bike last week and to me it looks like 350 km will be it. I am hoping for closer to 600 km therefor the decision for the tank.

Oh, and Jeannie said she won't ride with me on this bike. The Goldwing's rear seat is too comfortable......

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
https://www.enginemaster.com.au/ They are in Albury.

I've bought a couple of eBay tanks through them. One was my 19litre poly JAZ/RCI tank that I've fitted to a half a dozen bikes. They had strap-type mounting fittings for that tank 19 L tank.

Otherwise Wollongong should have a race/rally car place that will stock all of those lovely red and blue fittings including a bulkhead fitting for the pump housing plate. Pirtek and or EnZed may be able to help with the bulkhead. Be prepared for whoever you speak to to scratch their heads about what and why you are doing it...

I just had a look. Racemod at Auburn St, Coniston (02) 4228-7156 carry Speedflow fittings.

The good thing about the CTX tank is that you can pull just that pump assembly out for the drilling, rather than the whole tank.

As per internet wisdom, the tool you need is a Unibit or step drill:

Vlad

Premier Member
If you get stuck for parts Frans,

Earls Performance
12 Stanley st
Silverwater NSW
02 9748 6011

Petrol heads of the first water.

Everybody gets a little squeamish the first time they have to drill a hole in there gas tank. Just make sure your measurements are accurate and that the location you choose gives you enough clearance under the seat to get it back on. If you drill the pump plate be certain of clearance to the tank and its gaskets. From the great pics that Peter put up right in the guts looks good as long as there is clearance to the seat.

Fransvdm

Premier Member
If you get stuck for parts Frans,

Earls Performance
12 Stanley st
Silverwater NSW
02 9748 6011

Petrol heads of the first water.

Everybody gets a little squeamish the first time they have to drill a hole in there gas tank. Just make sure your measurements are accurate and that the location you choose gives you enough clearance under the seat to get it back on. If you drill the pump plate be certain of clearance to the tank and its gaskets. From the great pics that Peter put up right in the guts looks good as long as there is clearance to the seat.

Thank you Scott

I'll check it out.

I have learned from my building experience over the years to measure twice, then cut once - and I still get it wrong sometimes.....

John negus

Arghh!!!..you lot are too clever for me..dumbass negus will stick with his Foxy the fuel bladder (or bladders)..they give me 5L extra each for total of 31L on my Capo..Cheers and yippee..jn