Long distance fuel tank

Vlad

Premier Member
Thats a good question Gatey. I think to divert attention from it mainly.

This is what it looks like with out the bag covering it and I figured that any time I stopped I was gonna get questions so decided to go stealth, as Ox has said on occasion "please don't ask about the Aux tank" when your at the servo and in a hurry. Also I park this thing in some pretty remote locations and Im usually asleep on the side of the road when that happens ,and whilst I understand that yellow stands out like dogs balls ,there is a limit to how much attention an Ironbutt rider can stand:) The pockets do come in handy. Apologies for the over exposed nature of the photo. Glad you like the bike,I am rather fond of it too.

Last edited:

Reader57

Going by what Davo used to say and what I found running a tank within a bag on the GTR1000, it reduces the amount of attention you draw to yourself. Fueling up looks strange but riding along or parked at a shop doesn't even draw a second look.

And I used to run micro padlocks on mine to stop curious people.

Fransvdm

Premier Member
Don't try to fill up your fuel bladder at the Enhance (used to be BP) outlet at West Wollongong. The young girl told me that she hasn't seen this before so she wasn't sure if I could use it for fuel. She reckon it needs to be a proper fuel container if I want to put fuel in it. She asked me if I have done this before to which I replied "yes, a few times as far as Darwin and Perth". She asked: "On your bike?" She didn't think my answer was funny.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I honestly never ever get any servo agro from attendants about my tanks.
I have had the odd question from other users almost always a rider and for me thats fine as it can evolve into a sale or a contact.

Fransvdm

Premier Member
I honestly never ever get any servo agro from attendants about my tanks.
I have had the odd question from other users almost always a rider and for me thats fine as it can evolve into a sale or a contact.
Mine are not as professional looking than yours:D:):)

Fransvdm

Premier Member
So Gatey and I had a few SMS's exchanged the other day.

We spoke about a few things and on Thursday when I got home, my new fuel tank was sitting outside my garage door

I thought I'll play around a bit. It looks good and will serve the purpose.

Thanks Chris. You are a master and builder

Last edited:

Fransvdm

Premier Member
What size aux tank & overall capacity Frans?
Martin, I haven't filled it up yet. Calculations says it shoul hold 22.77 l which should give me a range of 772,745 km under perfect conditions at an average of 18.5 k/l of fuel. Then I have to run the whole bike dry... Honda thought it was a good idea to fit the CTX with a 19 l tank.

I was aiming for 650 km with wind, extra luggage and occasionally a bad (BP) batch of fuel. I'll find out soon how many litres the tank will hold. I bought 10.47 l today. An estimated 10 l in the tank and half a litre or so all over the bike..... :mad::mad::mad:

The jaz tank gave me a range of 550 km under perfect conditions. It has taken up the rear seat with no room for a swag.

We'll see how it goes with this tank.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
What size aux tank & overall capacity Frans?
Hi Martin.
Franz was able to make a mockup first to determin location and volume and all other considerations then contacted me with base line dimensions which when tested on solidworks came to 22.96 less baffle.
Im proud to let you guys know that RVSW has tank designs inc base hardware for the 1200 Supere Tenere. The Honda CTX andST1300.
Current project is an auxiliary tank for the current Africa Twin and the 2018 model.
RVSW can custom build a tank for most bikes though its better with your model in the shop.
I personally attend to this work. We can upon request do the drilling for your bulkhead fitting and now stock SpeedFlow and can make the full plumbing kit.

Your tank looks very nice Franz. Thanks for posting up and for your business.
Cheers Chris

Last edited: