Looking at 2018 -What to look for?

asking the wisdom of this group.
I am looking at 2018 R1200RT, 33k mi. from a Motorrad dealer.
What should i be looking for?
Any expensive problems with this year bike or this model at 33k miles?
Inside baseball tips? (Yep, I know YOUR machine is the sweetest, most reliable and best in the world, but in general, what can you share?)

Thank you!
-DL

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The bike is on the very cusp of going out of warranty, if not already out on time, depending on purchase date. Consider why it was traded in to the dealer? Ask to see maintenance history for the bike. The dealer should be able to pull it up by VIN. If they won't, get the VIN and ask another dealer.

U-Joint/driveshaft issues have been known to occur around this point. Ask if they did any service/repair to the bike after taking it in and before putting it up for sale?

Brake fluid should have been changed/flushed in the last year. Coolant too as it's a wethead. Maybe consider asking to have a different BMW dealer do a pre-purchase inspection? One that doesn't have a vested interest in seeing it go out the door.

edit - I see you're in Vegas. I was never happy with the Vegas BMW dealer, (many unpleasant issues with the service dept), and rode to SLC to Harrison Eurosports instead. Still will try to upsell you maintenance, but are basically honest. Good sales team when we were there. Wife bought her '16 GSA from them.

Thanks Eric
There was a BMW dealer that opened years ago on the south side of the 215 loop. I think they closed/folded and the local BMW dealer is now part of the EuroCycle group with stores in Reno, Las Vegas and Sonoma, also selling Aprilia, Dukes, Triumph and other brands.

I getting cold on this particular bike. There is scuffing on the right cyl. casting, I think from a drop. There are some other things suggesting maybe a rough history; I suspect this was a demo turned rental bike.

I appreciate the good information which I will use in looking for another bike of about the same vintage.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Good that you're listening to your gut. If your spider sense is tingling about this one, you're probably right.