Looking for a companion to ride Tulsa OK to San Diego CA 10 or 11 July.

I want to try to complete the Iron Butt Gold patch event. I would be starting in Claremore, OK and riding to San Diego, CA by way of 29 Palms CA. The distance according to Google Maps is 1539 miles to the hotel in San Diego. That should handle any distance errors with road distance and Google Map distance.

My grand nephew will be graduating Boot Camp at US Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD) the morning of 12 Jul.

The trip would be along I-40 for the most part. Is anyone interested in joining? My buttocks can handle the trip but boredom can set in riding alone leading to inattentiveness and mistakes.. A second rider helps with that a LOT.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
As a former Marine and living in San Diego - I try to go the the graduations every couple of months. They occur every Friday; generally 3 times a month. I'm sure you are very proud of your grand nephew. I like the I-40 for the most part. Some of the less captivating sections is Holbrook to Winslow and Kingman to Barstow; but otherwise lots to look at. Good luck.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
First off, hearty congratulations to the upcoming graduation of your great nephew from MCRD.

By your use of the phrase "Iron Butt Gold patch", I'll presume you're referring to:

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/

The Bun Burner (1500 miles in less than 36 hours) [a ride I have yet to certify] or the Bun Burner GOLD (1500 miles in less than 24 hours) [I've done this one - twice!] are two very different rides to accomplish.

Which ride are you attempting?

Last edited:

Scott Parish

Premier Member
First off, hearty congratulations to the upcoming graduation of your great nephew from MCRD.

By your use of the phrase "Iron Butt Gold patch", I'll presume you're referring to:

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/

The Bun Burner (1500 miles in less than 36 hours) [a ride I have yet to certify] or the Bun Burner GOLD (1500 miles in less than 36 hours) [I've done this one - twice!] are two very different rides to accomplish.

Which ride are you attempting?
Gold is 1500 miles in less than 24 hours. ;)

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Just to be clear, there are several rides that have the GOLD designation. The Bun Burner GOLD is just one of them.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Sorry, I am going for leaving Claremore OK (just northeast of Tulsa) at about 7pm and arriving in San Diego by 7pm the next day. The distance from gas station to hotel is by Google Maps 1539 miles. So I am interested in completing the 1500miles in 24 gold award.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
One person's opinion (mine) on executing an extreme ride like this - .go alone.

Your probability of success goes up when you are 100% in control over your stops, your breaks, your pace on a ride like this. I'm not certain that I would have been successful if I had to be concerned about another rider and their pace, their fuel stop times, their needs for a break. Especially if I've never ridden with them before.

My opinion is solely based on being 2 for 2 on BBG rides attempted. My pace for a very similar distance was an overall average speed of really close to 69 MPH.

I wish you luck on your ride - and again, send our congrats to your grand nephew!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Sorry, I am going for leaving Claremore OK (just northeast of Tulsa) at about 7pm and arriving in San Diego by 7pm the next day. The distance from gas station to hotel is by Google Maps 1539 miles. So I am interested in completing the 1500miles in 24 gold award.
Just as a reminder that, as the rules state, one needs to complete a Saddlesore 1000 or Bun Burner 1500 prior to attempting the Bun Burner GOLD. So if you are not yet an IBA member, you need to first complete one of these two rides.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association