Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Ira:
Editing note
States with a twist is listed under Australia - longer rides.
As it should be in this case. As the ride description reads,

"Australia consists of 6 states and 2 Territories. There are 5 states on the Australian mainland and the island state of Tasmania.

Further more, there are 2 places on the mainland, named after states in the U.S., Kentucky in New South Wales (NSW) and Texas in Queensland (QLD).

Kentucky and Texas are states in their own right, but not here in Australia and that is The Twist.

The aim of these rides is to visit Kentucky and Texas and obviously the states they are in. Hence, the smallest IBA certifiable ride would be a SS1600, visiting Kentucky in NSW and Texas in QLD, making it a "4 States With a Twist"."

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
I noticed the other day that there is a BB silver, 1500 miles in under 30 hrs, I haven't seen anybody talking about that ride.
Very interesting news. Very relevant to me, too.
For years I've tried to plan a BBG in Israel, but any way I fold it - it won't be legal |(not to mention safe). Except for the very center, Israel is basically a backroad country.
Back to the drawing board...

In addition to what others have posted:
Bank sleep for the week before you plan to ride. Seriously. You should have the bike ready to go a week early and hit the sack early enough that you start waking up without an alarm at 5am. Your body's natural rhythm will tolerate an earlier wake up if you're well rested than a later end time. I know this from flying experience as well. I planned on waking up at 3am and being at the first fuel stop at 4am. That will still put you at your finish at around 2am. You start going later than that and it can get dangerous. I actually woke up at 2am and hit the gas pump at 2:50am. Turned out that worked to my advantage as I needed the extra time. Hit fog on a bridge South of Tampa.

Do ALL of your eating and drinking on the bike while rolling down the highway. So for me that meant a flip up helmet. Purchase nothing other than gas during the trip. While gassing up you can hit the restroom allowing for a minute of stretching... that's important as well.
Technically, you don't really need to eat anything, so trailmix and jerky work for me. Whatever it is has to be accessible one handed. Keep that in mind. Same goes for water bottles. I opted for a couple hydration packs so no caps.

Plan on there being rain somewhere along the trip, so whatever you're wearing should be breathable and waterproof like Goretex. You do not want to have to stop to put on rain gear.

Plan on all your electronic add-ons dying on you. So, do the old fashioned AAA trip-tick (for the old farts) where you have maps printed out that show your route and the next stop along with the alternate, including distances to each. Reset one of your trip meters at each gas stop so WHEN your GPS dies you can easily keep track of how much farther to the next fuel stop. Pick a pouch in your tank bag for receipts and put everything in a zip lock bag tie wrapped somehow to the tank bag. Use a sharpie instead of a pen so you can use more easily with gloves. Nothing worse than having your receipts blown out of your possession across the gas station. In other words, think about how you're going to manage paperwork quickly and efficiently. You don't want to be doing it riding down the road.

Carry extra gas. I know you don't want to use it but when your bike decides to run out of fuel 2 miles from you fuel stop (which happened to me on a SS1000) you can drop enough in the tank to get you there, preventing a blown effort.

That's all that comes to mind for now.

Thinking about doing a BBG 2000 ... Omaha to Sioux Falls on I-29 North, then I-90 West across SD to Bozeman, MT, flipping around, and then I-90 East to the I-25 split, I-25 South to Cheyenne, WY, and I-80 east back to Omaha. Googlemaps says I can do it in 30 hours ... but I'm wondering about fuel on I-90 and I-25 in MT and WY. I-90 I know well enough from Sioux Falls to Rapid City, and I-80 is so heavily trafficked by trucks that fuel won't be an issue. Picking that route because of the lack of extremely high mountain passes, 80mph speed limits, few cities, and propensity for drier weather. Any advice? Thinking about the Friday just before 4th of July weekend. My bike only goes about 100 miles comfortably on a tank, 130 miles on average ... but pushing 130 miles in mountains, wind, high altitude .....

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Plenty fuel in MT. Between Billings and Bozeman the longest run between 24 hour pumps is about 40 miles between Columbus and Big Timber.

Last edited:

dmcqueeney

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Thinking about doing a BBG 2000 ... Googlemaps says I can do it in 30 hours ...
I don't find a certified ride named "BBG 2000". Are you considering the SaddleSore 2000 or its Gold variation?
For anyone interested in the SaddleSore 2000 Gold, as for other Gold level rides, the SaddleSore 2000 Gold requires a prior completion of a qualifying ride. This qualification is described on the BBG page. Note that a SaddleSore 2000 Gold's ride pace is higher than that of the BB Silver, which also requires a qualifying ride.

Keep in mind that a Google Maps estimate is for driving time only, at the speed limits, and not including any stops or rest breaks.

Regards ... Dave

I don't find a certified ride named "BBG 2000". Are you considering the SaddleSore 2000 or its Gold variation?
For anyone interested in the SaddleSore 2000 Gold, as for other Gold level rides, the SaddleSore 2000 Gold requires a prior completion of a qualifying ride. This qualification is described on the BBG page. Note that a SaddleSore 2000 Gold's ride pace is higher than that of the BB Silver, which also requires a qualifying ride.

Keep in mind that a Google Maps estimate is for driving time only, at the speed limits, and not including any stops or rest breaks.

Regards ... Dave

I think, no wait ... I KNOW you are right ... Saddlesore 2000. I did a Saddlesore 1000 on 5/25/14 -- so I've got the pre-requisite. I confused the BBG (1,500 miles in 24 hours) with the Saddlesore 2000. I'm shooting for the 2,000 miles -- though given my ability, I'm pretty sure I can do the BBG as a 'lesser included' ride -- or at least a place to bail out if I get too sleepy! But who knows? I could do the Sadlesore 2000, then sleep and get the extra 1,000 for the Saddlesore 3,000 by making a run to NJ! for some Taylor Ham, egg and cheese on a hard roll! :)

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
That is GREAT to know!
The toughest part of your route (with regard to fuel availability) is probably going to be between Sheridan, WY and Hardin, MT. I know there is fuel in Lodge Grass (about mid-point) but I do not know if it is open 24 hrs. Might be worth a phone call. Failing that, it is only 83 miles between Sheridan and Hardin. Take it easy on the throttle and you should be fine.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I think, no wait ... I KNOW you are right ... Saddlesore 2000. I did a Saddlesore 1000 on 5/25/14 -- so I've got the pre-requisite. I confused the BBG (1,500 miles in 24 hours) with the Saddlesore 2000. I'm shooting for the 2,000 miles -- though given my ability, I'm pretty sure I can do the BBG as a 'lesser included' ride -- or at least a place to bail out if I get too sleepy! But who knows? I could do the Sadlesore 2000, then sleep and get the extra 1,000 for the Saddlesore 3,000 by making a run to NJ! for some Taylor Ham, egg and cheese on a hard roll! :)
The pace for a BBG is much greater than a SS 2000 Gold; so I'm not sure I would view it as a lesser ride. If you are over 1500 in less than 24 hours; you could easily sleep 4 hours with 8 hours to complete the remaining 500 miles. If you really want the SS 2000 Gold - it might be more prudent to pace yourself over the entire 36 hour period to avoid hitting a wall of fatigue. My safe limit for non-stop riding is 40 hours. However, I'm not sure most people would consider any of our rides as prudent. :) Good luck.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>I confused the BBG (1,500 miles in 24 hours) with the Saddlesore 2000. I'm shooting for the 2,000 miles -- though given my ability, I'm pretty sure I can do the BBG as a 'lesser included' ride -- or at least a place to bail out if I get too sleepy!
My SS2000 was done by not really trying...

About 1250 miles, seven hours of rest, then about 900-odd miles...with around two hours to spare. The second 900-odd miles really wasn't at a 'hurried' pace; spend an hour doing a bit of work on my bike in the middle of that second day.

My SS2000 was done by not really trying...

About 1250 miles, seven hours of rest, then about 900-odd miles...with around two hours to spare. The second 900-odd miles really wasn't at a 'hurried' pace; spend an hour doing a bit of work on my bike in the middle of that second day.
Kevin, where did you ride from / to? Thats an impressive 69mph moving average!