Looking for BBG Advice

I am new to all of this on a bike, but in my youth I would make many endurance/timed trips in my mustang with friends to see the country. A real easy system of measuring travel time versus stopped time is to calculate 2 minutes of travel time lost for every minute of stopped time. It does not calculate on paper, but it is a very accurate account for time wasted in stops(slowing, stopping, accelerating).

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Ken, where did you ride from / to? Thats an impressive 69mph moving average!
Day 1: 18:34 for ~1260 miles (Why, AZ to Longview, TX via Gila Bend, AZ)
Nine hours rest
Day 2: 17:42 for ~920 miles (Longview, TX to Jax Bch, FL via Whynot, MS)

SS2000 elapsed time: 43:36

OK, the ramblings of a guy planning a SS2G...

Laid out the ride Omaha NE- Fargo ND - Billings MT using Google maps yesterday ... considering that my 2003 Honda VTX 1800R "beast" will only let me go about 130 miles max before needing a drink, looks like 8 fuel stops each way. Counting on I-29, I-94 and I-90 being enough of a truck route to have that fuel, and based on prior comments in this thread, really not too worried about it.

But then I saw the "Heaven to Hell" ride -- top of Mt. Evans, CO to Badwater, CA. Highest point in the US to the lowest point in the US in under 24 hours.

Hmmmmm. I could easily ride I-80 to I-76 to I-70, and exit to go UP Mt. Evans..... If only I wouldn't already have put 8 1/2 hours under my belt before starting THAT 1028 mile ride ..... mostly NOT on high speed interstate. That one might have to wait for another day.... but then again ... if I leave Omaha at 2AM, I'd be hitting Denver about 6 1/2 hours later (counting the time change), as the only real fuel issues are on I-76 in Colorado -- and could be at the top of Mt. Evans by 10am, local time, 11am to me. Riding the mountains during the day anyway, which I'd really like to be doing, as opposed to at night... decisions, decisions.

BTW the Mrs. thinks I'm nuts.... as do some of my friends. I just quote Willie Nelson back to them: "I've always been crazy, its kept me from going insane"!

Also considering planning out alternative rides to the East and South from Omaha -- will ultimately ride the way that looks like it has the least rain ... no need to choose to be wet (and yes, I have a great Frog Toggs rainsuit, but prefer not to have to wear it, as I did on my SSK1 back in 2015. THAT ride included cold, heat, HEAVY T-storm, AND snow, yes snow, as I approached the pass between Cheyenne and Laramie, WY. Ergo, I turned around at Buford, WY).

Bill

I've tried two BBGs. The first was unsuccessful, the second one I squeaked through on. You can read about them here:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2000-miles-in-less-than-36-hours-and-pikes-peak.705718/page-3. My report is Post #47 in the thread.

I stopped way too long on my successful BBG -- 2hrs, 27 min. One of my issues as I get older (I'm 74 now was 72 when I did the BBG is limited bladder capacity. That usually turns out to be a bigger deal than range. Maybe I'll get a catheter like the guy who supposedly rode his Goldwing from Seattle to St Louis without stopping (he had auxiliary fuel in a trailer). I'm blank on his name...

PTarman,
I hope I will still have enough strength to hold the motorcycle upright at 74!!
I'm 66 now, and the ground is a lot further away than it used to be - LOL!!
Let us know how that catheter things works out - I may be interested!!

A BBG at 72 yrs old = INCREDIBLE!!

Mike

Mike, I'm having my NT lowered as soon as I can get in the shop. My right leg doesn't bend very well and to get on the bike, I have to stand beside it and throw my right leg up in the air onto the seat and then scoot myself forward and to the right until I can get my butt into the saddle. People always think I'm going to turn the bike over and rush to help. So far, I haven't dropped it getting on or off. But after the last knee replacement, I had an osteotomy (a wedge the doc cut out of the top front of my tibia so he could get in and clean out the old glue) slip up 1/4". So, I had to quit physical therapy for six weeks. You wouldn't believe how much strength an old man like me can lose in six weeks! I just got back on the bike at the first of June. I rode up to Spearfish (a little over 400 miles) a week ago for an NT/ST-Owners rally and did fine riding, but I didn't have much confidence in my left leg while I was doing my hop-skip-jump routine to get on and off. I think losing an inch in height will help.

Roadglider

Premier Member
In addition to what others have posted:
Bank sleep for the week before you plan to ride. Seriously. You should have the bike ready to go a week early and hit the sack early enough that you start waking up without an alarm at 5am. Your body's natural rhythm will tolerate an earlier wake up if you're well rested than a later end time. I know this from flying experience as well. I planned on waking up at 3am and being at the first fuel stop at 4am. That will still put you at your finish at around 2am. You start going later than that and it can get dangerous. I actually woke up at 2am and hit the gas pump at 2:50am. Turned out that worked to my advantage as I needed the extra time. Hit fog on a bridge South of Tampa.

Do ALL of your eating and drinking on the bike while rolling down the highway. So for me that meant a flip up helmet. Purchase nothing other than gas during the trip. While gassing up you can hit the restroom allowing for a minute of stretching... that's important as well.
Technically, you don't really need to eat anything, so trailmix and jerky work for me. Whatever it is has to be accessible one handed. Keep that in mind. Same goes for water bottles. I opted for a couple hydration packs so no caps.

Plan on there being rain somewhere along the trip, so whatever you're wearing should be breathable and waterproof like Goretex. You do not want to have to stop to put on rain gear.

Plan on all your electronic add-ons dying on you. So, do the old fashioned AAA trip-tick (for the old farts) where you have maps printed out that show your route and the next stop along with the alternate, including distances to each. Reset one of your trip meters at each gas stop so WHEN your GPS dies you can easily keep track of how much farther to the next fuel stop. Pick a pouch in your tank bag for receipts and put everything in a zip lock bag tie wrapped somehow to the tank bag. Use a sharpie instead of a pen so you can use more easily with gloves. Nothing worse than having your receipts blown out of your possession across the gas station. In other words, think about how you're going to manage paperwork quickly and efficiently. You don't want to be doing it riding down the road.

Carry extra gas. I know you don't want to use it but when your bike decides to run out of fuel 2 miles from you fuel stop (which happened to me on a SS1000) you can drop enough in the tank to get you there, preventing a blown effort.

That's all that comes to mind for now.
Thank you for the advice, I will be completing my first BBG at the Jax Party. However, I am thinking of trying one before then to work out any kinks. I appreciate the info you have provided. I did similar tactics on the last In State FL 1000 completed. It took me about 21 hrs because I was accomplishing tasks for the BMR2018 bonus codes. I do understand the BBG is very needy. Gas and restroom at stops and then get back on the road. As far as Carrying extra gas, do you use a prepackage fuel container?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
You should be able to plot your route down to the fuel location you want to use, based on the approximate route they've provided already. You should already have a good idea of the fuel range of your motorcycle. Thus creating known 'legs' of the run from one fuel station to the next with enough of a 'fuel margin' that extra fuel is unnecessary.

The other item I learned is to make sure you know what your overall average speed is, here's why.

On my second BBG (done as part of the Team Lyle Nevada rally), there was one leg that was getting really close to my comfort zone in range, based on what I already knew about the fuel economy of a GL1800 with >100k on the odometer. Rallymaster provided a very good tip. Between those locations, simply manage your overall speed by simply maintaining that value. So, it took me (for 210 miles...) out of that 'rally mode' and closer to a 'touring mode' for that leg.

When it came time later on to run that last 195 miles to the end, knowing what my fuel economy was for that earlier leg made that last leg a lot easier to push as much as I needed to...

...in the Nevada darkness...

...with aux lighting! :)

It's a satisfying run, certainly!

Roadglider

Premier Member
You should be able to plot your route down to the fuel location you want to use, based on the approximate route they've provided already. You should already have a good idea of the fuel range of your motorcycle. Thus creating known 'legs' of the run from one fuel station to the next with enough of a 'fuel margin' that extra fuel is unnecessary.

The other item I learned is to make sure you know what your overall average speed is, here's why.

On my second BBG (done as part of the Team Lyle Nevada rally), there was one leg that was getting really close to my comfort zone in range, based on what I already knew about the fuel economy of a GL1800 with >100k on the odometer. Rallymaster provided a very good tip. Between those locations, simply manage your overall speed by simply maintaining that value. So, it took me (for 210 miles...) out of that 'rally mode' and closer to a 'touring mode' for that leg.

When it came time later on to run that last 195 miles to the end, knowing what my fuel economy was for that earlier leg made that last leg a lot easier to push as much as I needed to...

...in the Nevada darkness...

...with aux lighting! :)

It's a satisfying run, certainly!
I have completed 2 certified rides so far, so I am still learning how the mpg change based on distance and speed on my particular bike.

My legs for fuel are based on 240mi. I normally get between 250-265 miles out of 5 gallons. It gives me wiggle room. I know the HD Road Glide Ultra has a 6 gal tank. The miles to empty is based on 5 gal used fuel, as I have never put more than 5.1gal in my bike. I would love to stretch fuel stops out as my planned turn around is 33 mi from a fuel stop. I will review and see if I can cut out a fuel stop to stream line my route.

My speed is a nice cruising speed with the flow of traffic and helps to prevent getting beat up by the wind. I am looking forward to my ride two weeks from today BBG from FL to LA I10 most of the way.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Please note that the BBG at JAX is tougher than most because you need to make the photo stops AND fuel stops. The advantage is you don't need to worry about fuel stops to mark the corners of the route.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I have completed 2 certified rides so far, so I am still learning how the mpg change based on distance and speed on my particular bike.

My legs for fuel are based on 240mi. I normally get between 250-265 miles out of 5 gallons. It gives me wiggle room. I know the HD Road Glide Ultra has a 6 gal tank. The miles to empty is based on 5 gal used fuel, as I have never put more than 5.1gal in my bike. I would love to stretch fuel stops out as my planned turn around is 33 mi from a fuel stop. I will review and see if I can cut out a fuel stop to stream line my route.

My speed is a nice cruising speed with the flow of traffic and helps to prevent getting beat up by the wind. I am looking forward to my ride two weeks from today BBG from FL to LA I10 most of the way.
BBG's are very manageable as long as stops are reasonable. I know a lot has been posted on here regarding 6-10 minute fuel stops; but I always factor 15 minute fuel stops (exit to on ramp time). It is better to have a regular routine you follow for fuel stops so nothing gets forgotten. I fuel first (this way if the pump doesn't provide a receipt or the receipt is wrong; I can correct on my way to the bathroom), take a picture of receipt/odo, update my rider log, and give the bike a quick walk around, hit the bathroom if necessary. This is the same routine I follow regardless of riding a SS, BBG, etc. I have had a rear tire blow-out, been able to stop and plug the hole; resume at a lower average speed and still complete a BBG. Bank time when you can (generally that is easy to do in the first 4-6 hours (1st and 2nd leg) of the ride when you are the most alert, traffic is light, and environmental conditions are mild). I keep my speed within 5 of posted limit so that I do not have to use more energy looking for LE. Plus - it allows me to enjoy the ride more. I have been on Rallys where other participants have passed me going well over triple digits; but it rarely pays off in the end with additional fuel consumption (which can be mitigated by adding a fuel cell), increased fatigue with increased speed; and it starting to feel like a race instead of a ride. I find 225 mile legs idea; but sometimes will stretch to 275-300 if necessary. You can ride 225 miles in 3 hours at an average speed of 75mph with 7 fuel stops for approximately 1500-1575 miles - 20 hours moving time and 105 minutes (7X15) of stopped time for a total of 21hrs and 45 minutes leaving a 2hr and 14 minute pad. Looking forward to the RR.

Scott