Lower Great Lakes attempt

Morrissey

So I'm planning my second SS1000 for this summer and am going to attempt the Lower Great Lakes circle. Here is my route ver. 1.0:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Pete...7b28c72318e0!2m2!1d-78.319747!2d44.309058!3e0

I would love some feedback from those who've done it before. My ST1300 will comfortably go 450km between fill ups and I don't really need to do this many stops but I wanted to make sure I had stops/receipts in the "corners" of the ride. Am I planning stops overkill? Or am I right to make these stops even though some aren't that far apart just to make sure I have the corners documented. There really isn't any way to cheat on this one, is there? I'd love to eliminate the first stop at Stone St in Gananoque for instance, but wanted to prove a "corner". I could easily make the trip all the way to the next stop on Brewerton Rd. for instance. Also, could I go from Brewerton Rd to say Kingsville OH and then not stop again until Tilbury, ON? These stops would be 425 ish km apart bout would eliminate a fuel stop but I wouldn't have receipts in the corners. Does that matter as much seeing as there is no way to cheat?

Finally, I know NOTHING of toll roads in the states. How much are they? Do I need exact change at the ready? Can I just tap/swipe a credit card? Are they photo billed? If I speed will I get a ticket when I reach the next booth?

I would love to hear suggestions, especially regarding my route through the states. If I picked a terrible route for a Saturday or there is a better way ie: less tolls or less traffic on a Saturday, I'd love to hear from you!

Hello,

Here is information about an organized ride. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/iba-pre-approved-lower-great-lakes-ss1k-july-21-2018.1264796/. Jim has map and stop info that may be of some help for your ride. Get receipts at the toll bridges. This will give you two turn points. Also having the bridge receipt from the Ambadoor or the Bluewater will allow for the gas receipt in OH and Ontario as proof you made it on both sides of Lake Erie.

I would like to do this ride also this year but I would be starting from Michigan. Peterborough does have connection since my wife was born there.

Keep us posted on your progress,

-Mark

Sportsterpaul

Curious how your ride went. We did it back in 2008, a group out of Diamondale H.D. in Lansing, Mi., but departed from Port Huron, Mi. First 900 miles were rain with 1/4" hail East of Toronto, a very memorable ride. The cross in of the river to Sarnia was much less stressful than navigating through Detroit and Windsor.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
I did my second LWR GRT LKS SS1K ride last year. Like you said, you can't "cheat" on this ride since the shortest route is over 1600Km / 1,000 miles. So yeah, some of your "corner" receipts aren't really required. But save ALL your receipts. Write you odo reading on each and your GPS trip meter reading, if using a GPS. Good for you to go CW since you will ride through the Toronto area early in the morning.

Get an Illinois I-Pass from to save time at the toll booths and to save money on tolls ( except in NY ) - no monthly service charge and only a $10 deposit for the transponder ( refundable).

At Detroit, you must use the bridge since no motorcycles are allowed in the tunnel.

We had to take a detour on I-75 south of Detroit because of construction on I-75. Not sure if that's done yet - it was a big job. We detoured onto I-475 to I-94E and then to I-96 to the bridge - not really all that complicated: just watch the signs. There is good signage on I-96 for the bridge to Canada. Going across at Detroit isn't any more difficult or a hassle than at Port Huron / Sarnia , IMO. Easy, Peasy getting to the 401 after crossing to Windsor - just keep going straight until you turn onto the 401 after 12Km.

To get around Cleveland, I like to take I-271 ( left lane exit ) to I-480 to I-80 ( Ohio Turnpike ).

Keep up with the traffic, it probably will be going over the limit. The truck stops like Pilot, Flying J, Loves, and TA have decent sandwiches in the coolers and fresh hot pizza. No need to waste time for a sit down meal, IMO.

Good luck & have fun.

Last edited: