Maybe

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Went out this morning zero miles on the demonstrator it's a tall bike me with 33'' inside leg it's OK there is a lower saddle and a lowering kit.
USD forks there is about 8'' travel both ends very firm, forks compress under braking but nothing alarming absorbs pot holes road humps with effortless calm.
Front brakes are two piston calipers progressive and easily controllable with two fingers rear brake did need a lot of effort at first but got better as it bedded in after fifty miles there was plenty of bite the pedal is small and hard to find.
There is good weather protection as you are sitting behind a big front end although at 6'4'' a taller screen or extender would be a benefit, riding position is roomy reach to the bars and to the pegs was comfortable the seat is surprisingly good and narrows to the front which makes it easy to get both feet down but after fifty miles and an hour in the saddle i felt the need to stand up and stretch could do with some improvement.
The engine is the 689cc parallel twin that they put in the MT 07 and pulls away from low speed in high gear without fuss and is very good in traffic on low throttle settings it will quite happily burble along 20-30 MPH in fourth gear, on the motorway roll on 50-80 MPH in top is effortless with no hesitation so overtaking is done quickly, no vibration in the bars, mirrors, footrests but a slight tingle through the levers at motorway speeds which will improve with time as the bike beds in, the gearbox is smooth and positive and clutch less up change is easy.
Handling and balance is good in cornering ruts or manhole covers do not upset the suspension so 'making progress' in the twistys will be good.
The TFT screen is clear and easy to read two trip odo's gear indicator speedo has big numbers to draw your eye to it and clock idiot lights on each side couldn't see a temperature gauge according to the ECU 60 MPG that was fifty miles of mixed urban and motorway riding for one hour
servicing is 6000 miles or twelve months.
I like it:)

Sean

Premier Member
Went out this morning zero miles on the demonstrator it's a tall bike me with 33'' inside leg it's OK there is a lower saddle and a lowering kit.
USD forks there is about 8'' travel both ends very firm, forks compress under braking but nothing alarming absorbs pot holes road humps with effortless calm.
Front brakes are two piston calipers progressive and easily controllable with two fingers rear brake did need a lot of effort at first but got better as it bedded in after fifty miles there was plenty of bite the pedal is small and hard to find.
There is good weather protection as you are sitting behind a big front end although at 6'4'' a taller screen or extender would be a benefit, riding position is roomy reach to the bars and to the pegs was comfortable the seat is surprisingly good and narrows to the front which makes it easy to get both feet down but after fifty miles and an hour in the saddle i felt the need to stand up and stretch could do with some improvement.
The engine is the 689cc parallel twin that they put in the MT 07 and pulls away from low speed in high gear without fuss and is very good in traffic on low throttle settings it will quite happily burble along 20-30 MPH in fourth gear, on the motorway roll on 50-80 MPH in top is effortless with no hesitation so overtaking is done quickly, no vibration in the bars, mirrors, footrests but a slight tingle through the levers at motorway speeds which will improve with time as the bike beds in, the gearbox is smooth and positive and clutch less up change is easy.
Handling and balance is good in cornering ruts or manhole covers do not upset the suspension so 'making progress' in the twistys will be good.
The TFT screen is clear and easy to read two trip odo's gear indicator speedo has big numbers to draw your eye to it and clock idiot lights on each side couldn't see a temperature gauge according to the ECU 60 MPG that was fifty miles of mixed urban and motorway riding for one hour
servicing is 6000 miles or twelve months.
I like it:)
Nice Review there John

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks John, very informative...could you see it as a candidate for IBA rides, general long haul?
Assuming aftermarket windshield, possible Russell DLSaddle, storage...etc.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Yes i could as it's only been on the market for a year not sure what's out there at the moment
200 mile range some might feel the need to fit an auxiliary tank not sure if that would invalidate the warranty.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Touratech, Wunderlich, BlackDog (probably others) have already designed-manuf.-selling products for this bike. I know Rally Raid (UK) already have suspension upgrades for this bike. It's also popular Down Under with the overlander crew.
MAD (Motorcycle Adventure Dirtbike) have been tinkering and riding the bike extensively...

Sean and EricV please move along...nothing to see here :rolleyes:

Edit: MAD is more off-road focused.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Why would you want a 'Dirt Oriented' bike when you live in London? Buying any motorcycle is always about compromises and watching that Australian video I can understand the raison d'etre of a Tenere but why would it be suitable for commuting and motorways? I ask this in all seriousness as the number of people on GS's and GSA's but hardly anyone now rides a Sports/Touring bike.

I'm not bothered I'm out of synchronisation of the bike riding public per see but what bothers me is because so many are going the Adventure bike route there is very little competition for my chosen style of bike. Perhaps I should try living with a GS and see how I get on.

Sean

Premier Member
Why would you want a 'Dirt Oriented' bike when you live in London? Buying any motorcycle is always about compromises and watching that Australian video I can understand the raison d'etre of a Tenere but why would it be suitable for commuting and motorways? I ask this in all seriousness as the number of people on GS's and GSA's but hardly anyone now rides a Sports/Touring bike.

I'm not bothered I'm out of synchronisation of the bike riding public per see but what bothers me is because so many are going the Adventure bike route there is very little competition for my chosen style of bike. Perhaps I should try living with a GS and see how I get on.
You should, my preferred weapon of choice for many years was Goldwing/Electraglide then I tried a GS Adventure

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Firstly I don't live in London, nor would I ever consider it...but that's irrelevant...

I grew up in the States, mostly California, and learnt my skills in the desert and mountains racing Enduro's (point to point). So my heritage has always been off-road...and yearn for that 'tank slapping' at 60 screaming through the woods...and yes, I know I don't live there anymore, and on the backside of 60.

But if the opportunity arises, and it did during the Alpen Butt when I was going down a goat trail in mountains above Lake Garda in 35c temps, not being able to turn the pig around. I found myself picking up the pig 3x, (how? I have no idea, adrenaline probably) only to turn around once at the bottom! Or the outer reaches of Scotland chasing some BBT/BBR point...A lighter more agile Dual Adventure appeals more than ever to me now for those reasons...I don't need electronic wizardry, umpteen horsepower or mega-pascals of Newton torque...horses for courses, your opinions may vary :rolleyes:

The T700 offers a 'modern machine' with no frills but an on/off switch for ABS...;)

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Good point Dave there is no hill start assist cornering ABS or any other fancy dodads that will fail eventually it does have ABS that keeps the basic price to £9149 on the road the equivalent KTM is 2K more the BMW is nearly 3K more, if you go on https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/products/motorcycles/adventure/tenere-700/configurator/ and put your own bike together with panniers heated grips centre stand for under 11K how much for a BMW or a Triumph?
The engine is used in the MT 07 and other bikes and nobody complains about it no shaft drive that will go wrong if it's a BMW which is a considerable weight saving 30 KG's lighter than my 1200 GS.
Over 50 miles in a 1 hour test ride most of which was motorway it's very capable but needs a taller screen and a bit more padding on the seat but i have not seen too many complaints about the seat on the various forums.
As you say not too many on sports bikes these days maybe the middle weight bike 5-700cc will see a decline in the 1000-1300cc machines, you look at the biker community demographic it gets harder too move the bigger machines about as we get older.

Ian M

ninja 1000 sx is quite franly exceptional value can come with luggue or put your own top box on

1250 rs if it must be german same engine as that thing jst in a sports toruing guise but seveal £000 more thna the kawasaki for the same thing