Modern key problems

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Having attained global notoriety for having become stranded for want of a key in the middle of nowhere recently I decided that the solution was to acquire a spare, spare key so shortly after my return to civilisation I visited my local dealer, explained that I wanted to have a bike key and a spare key with me on my travels and a second spare key in the permanently "safe place" of my desk at home where I've always kept my spare keys until now.

The dealer duly ordered a frighteningly expensive blank from Suzuki so that it would be available when my bike went in for new boots, etc.

Three weeks later the bike went in for a day having various bits renewed but when I collected it they'd forgotten about the key and hadn't cut or coded it. They asked me to get the key cut and bring it back to be coded FOC.

A few days later I got the key cut, £3, and went to the dealer with it and a live key. No good, I need to take the bike in as well.

The next day I rode to the dealer, gave them the blank and a live key, and waited while they worked their magic. Forty minutes that took! but they then handed me a pair of keys and I rode off.

Two hours later I picked up a key and went to move the bike - the key didn't work:eek: The other two did though.

I returned to the dealer the next day "not happy", still only two working keys. The receptionist disappeared off into the workshop. Ten minutes later "we need to code all three keys at the same time".

Finally, today, I have in my possession three working keys.:)

When I needed an extra front door key for my house I just took an existing one to a key cutter and returned with two good keys. 21st century automotive security is a bit more complex apparently.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Good job you checked they all worked then. The law of sod could have struck when you were once again in the middle of nowhere :eek: