Monkey Butt?

This question has been on my mind for years.

OK all you IBA members, especially the Mile Eaters, when I read magazine articles about a fellow riding any kind of long distance trip (many consider a 300 mile day a long distance) most of them mention monkey butt and the so called cure or prevention. I am 69 years old, I live in Texas, so many of my miles have been in some serious heat (117). I have 22 certified IBA rides to date. In the ten years since I returned to riding (out of motorcycling for 26 years) I have ridden to all states and provinces a person can ride to on my VTX at 132,000 miles. I have put another 20,000 miles on my RSV. In ten years I missed riding 6 months with a broken leg and another 4 months with shoulder surgery (old age). No I have not been an IBR contender but I have done several hot long distance multi day rides to include one 9,000 miles with two SS2000 rides during it.

That said, I have never experienced monkey butt. So what is the fuss about monkey butt? Have I just been lucky? Or do I have a leather A..?

Since my return to riding my base layer, helmet liner to socks, has been material made to wick moisture away from the skin. My outer layer is quality gear with armor and vents. Some of the time I ride on the stock seat, other times I use the Air Hawk and others I use a Bead Rider. I usually use the Beadrider when it is hot and or wet. I have never used any of the cures or preventions for monkey butt. My rear never felt as though it needed them.

I have never heard monkey butt discussed when I am around fellow IBA members. So does this problem exist with you serious veteran LD riders? Or is it mostly a result of not wearing the appropriate gear?

I read all the advice from you long timers and bought LD comfort shorts and longs for my SS1K. So luckily I have not experienced it either. During two hour warmup rides I wore the dangerous cotton briefs to toughen me up.

-Mark

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've never had the Monkey Butt.

Sometimes I use an Airhawk, sometimes Bead Rider, sometimes sheepskin, sometimes stock.

Base layer of LD Comfort or fine Aussie merino wool or Sharkskins.

Outer layer of KLIM or Aerostich or mesh or leather or just jeans.

I stand up while I'm riding about every half an hour. I think that helps.

The most sore I've been - sore, not red and rashed - was at the end of a SaddleSore(!!) from sitting on this little bike for the last 5 hours straight because if I tried to stand up at speed (about 50mph flat out) the whole shebang seemed to flex.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Base layer of LD Comfort and a Beadrider and never had an issue.

Now... when I was in Houston and would ride in jeans with cotton underwear, different story.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I've experienced a rashed bottom wearing lose fitting riding suit with Under Armour base layers. Rather than adjusting my butt on the seat - I was sliding around in the pants. Wearing proper fitting riding gear eliminated this issue. :)

Thanks members.
The feed back I have read so far basically states...wear the correct stuff and no monkey butt. I guess that is why I have never experienced it.

Rusjel

Premier Member
Silk bicycle shorts with no padding - cheap and no problems. I'm running a comfort ( factory) seat on my KTM

Like Pete I stand up every half hour and I also have a little stretching routine for the glutes and legs I go through ever half hour or so. My backside often gets sore, but not rashes.