MTF IBA Southeast Regional Rides PLAY BALL 1500, MTF EGGSANITY GOLD, and MTF SS1000 BONUS ROUTE

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
MTF IBA Southeast Regional Rides PLAY BALL 1500, MTF EGGSANITY GOLD, and MTF SS1000 BONUS ROUTE
http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2019/LD_Southeast/
Registration closes 5/12/2019

Visit 4 Stadiums riding the Play Ball 1500 BBG;
Earn an EggSanity GOLD certificate, and eat at the same time;
And Visit Joe’s Truck stop and Coffee Pot Inn!

Joe's Truck "Stop"

In 1935 Joe Faulkner built a house on Fifth Street, directly in front of a mountain road. Things were fine until around 1950 when Alabama designated the road State Highway 35, and truckers started using it. The truckers would burn out their brakes on the steep, two-mile mountain pass, and the first year thirteen trucks went through Joe's yard. He had a row of trees which they took out, one by one. Trucks, several of whose drivers died, spilled such diverse loads as chickens, watermelons, cows, logs, lumber, and steel onto Joe's yard, porch, and roof. He once had three circus trucks in his yard. In 1959, after various officials failed to make good their promises to remedy the situation, Joe built a four-foot-thick concrete wall reinforced with wire, grader blades, steel pipe, and the chassis from two Dodge trucks. The wall is only about two feet high, so loads still spill into his yard, but trucks have never been able to do anything worse to the wall than knock chunks out of it. In 1989 I went to Fort Payne to see the wall, which local kids have named Joe's Truck Stop.
Coffee Pot Topped Building
A historical marker was added to this site in 2016. It informs us that Eddie Hinnant played a piano on the roof when he tried to break his piano-playing record of 110 continuous hours -- but the sign doesn't say if he succeeded! The marker also clarifies, once and for all, that, yes, this building is a local landmark because there is a coffee pot on top. Who knew? 190508 MTF LDRides  BBG Play Ball SS1000 Silver EggSanity Resized.jpg

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
I’m no 50 BBG rider (seriously you’re the man), but it was a nice ride for me. The stadium theme was much better than DBR to DBR riding. Basically the Stadiums are the ride corners, so riders can choose their own fuel stops to fit their riding style and their bike's fuel legs.
I’m going to all start them all at the same time like JAX, and the finish is the only required DBR requirement for the BBG riders, the Photos document the rest.
Hopefully it will generate interest in LD riding with a touch of rallying. I know it has to be more interesting than seeing a bunch of gas stations.
Play Ball 3 photo was specifically taken of the Stadium gate (with ground structures as an identifier) in case the Stadium gates might be closed, which they shouldn't be because the team has a game in Pensacola and they'll be coming back late, so it should be open, but I'm not taking any chances. The riders will have a hand held placard versus a flag for photos and as a souvenir.

The EggSanity and SS of course have their own regular rules. With the SS1000 having two bonuses locations, ie placard and bike photo mandatory.

This EggSanity ride will be an EggSanity GOLD!

Ride Safe,
Robert

Attachments