My First IB Certification -- SS 1000

This past week I received notification that my first (and not last) Iron Butt certification became official; a SS 1000.

I began the ride on Sep. 6, 2020 and completed it just after midnight on Sep. 7. I turned in all paperwork within 2-3 days of completing the event.

I'm in the U.S. My wife, who rode the same route on same day, was also certified. This should give you hope, if you are waiting on certification of your ride. The team is working on it.

I'm hooked as I plan to do at least one IB challenge a year. Next up is the BB 1500.

Merry Christmas all!
David (aka, Road Runner)

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congratulations to you both. In some ways the BB1500 is easier than the SS1K since you can take a sleep break in the middle. Check out all the named rides and don't forget that you can create your own unique SS ride too and get a cert with wording for that unique ride. Like Huntsville X3, Huntsville, AL to Huntsville, TN to Huntsville, TX. LINK Something I don't think anyone has done before.

CB650F

Premier Member
I'm hooked as I plan to do at least one IB challenge a year. Next up is the BB 1500.

Merry Christmas all!
David (aka, Road Runner)
And that's how it starts! Find out about the IBA, do a ride to get into the association, realize that it isn't as hard as it seems and do one a year, then that turns into one a month, etc. Before you know it, you're planning week long rides and wondering where all your time is going.

Welcome to the group and Merry Christmas.

Congratulations to you both. In some ways the BB1500 is easier than the SS1K since you can take a sleep break in the middle. Check out all the named rides and don't forget that you can create your own unique SS ride too and get a cert with wording for that unique ride. Like Huntsville X3, Huntsville, AL to Huntsville, TN to Huntsville, TX. LINK Something I don't think anyone has done before.
Yes, I saw the named rides. the Huntsville X3 ride would be a great one; thanks for the tip!

Yes, I saw the named rides. the Huntsville X3 ride would be a great one; thanks for the tip!
If I were to do a Huntsville 3X or Athens 3X (Alabama, Georgia, +), how would I get it certified as an IB unless I do the 1,000+ mile route in a certain time? I assume I need to make whatever route to be near the 1,000 miles, or 1,500, or 2,000 mile types marks within N hours or days; correct?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
If I were to do a Huntsville 3X or Athens 3X (Alabama, Georgia, +), how would I get it certified as an IB unless I do the 1,000+ mile route in a certain time? I assume I need to make whatever route to be near the 1,000 miles, or 1,500, or 2,000 mile types marks within N hours or days; correct?
...and so begins half the fun of LD riding - conceiving your own ride! Yes, you seemed to have grasped the concept quickly, grasshopper. ;)

Example: here's a list of the Athens' in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens_(disambiguation)

Now, you start putting 'em together on Google Maps, for example.

How about "Athens of the South" as one idea?

Have fun!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Exactly. When you create your own ride, you get to play with all sorts of ideas, but what ever ride you come up with must still fall within one of the existing standard rides, SS1K, BB1500, BBG, etc. In state rides can be any of those as well, not just BB1K rides.

Now if you come up with something outside the normal rides, but that you feel meets a challenge comparable to a standard ride, (SS1K rides average ~42 mph for 24 hours, BBG rides would be Gold level and average ~62 mph for 24 hours), then you would want to contact the IBA with details like the route you have in mind, time frame to do it in, (how many hours), what you feel would be standard Vs Gold, if a Gold possibility exists, and any additional difficulties of doing the route, plus what you want to call it and get pre-approval. This is how many of the named rides were created. Someone thought it up and did it and the IBA liked it enough to add it to the big list of named rides.

...and so begins half the fun of LD riding - conceiving your own ride! Yes, you seemed to have grasped the concept quickly, grasshopper. ;)

Example: here's a list of the Athens' in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens_(disambiguation)

Now, you start putting 'em together on Google Maps, for example.

How about "Athens of the South" as one idea?

Have fun!
Thank you for sharing how to pull-up the various city names in the U.S. I really "like" this

Exactly. When you create your own ride, you get to play with all sorts of ideas, but what ever ride you come up with must still fall within one of the existing standard rides, SS1K, BB1500, BBG, etc. In state rides can be any of those as well, not just BB1K rides.

Now if you come up with something outside the normal rides, but that you feel meets a challenge comparable to a standard ride, (SS1K rides average ~42 mph for 24 hours, BBG rides would be Gold level and average ~62 mph for 24 hours), then you would want to contact the IBA with details like the route you have in mind, time frame to do it in, (how many hours), what you feel would be standard Vs Gold, if a Gold possibility exists, and any additional difficulties of doing the route, plus what you want to call it and get pre-approval. This is how many of the named rides were created. Someone thought it up and did it and the IBA liked it enough to add it to the big list of named rides.
Thank you, EricV for the information; helpful !!!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You can also use Google Maps to find all the same city names, then map to them. Just type in the city name w/o anything else and it usually shows you all of them in the US, if not other countries, with the same spelling. Not as comprehensive as the Wiki, but pretty good for planning LD rides.

This past week I received notification that my first (and not last) Iron Butt certification became official; a SS 1000.

I began the ride on Sep. 6, 2020 and completed it just after midnight on Sep. 7. I turned in all paperwork within 2-3 days of completing the event.

I'm in the U.S. My wife, who rode the same route on same day, was also certified. This should give you hope, if you are waiting on certification of your ride. The team is working on it.

Merry Christmas all!
David (aka, Road Runner)

I did a SS1k and BB 1500 Silver ride in just under 30 hours back in October this lets me know how long I can expect my certification to take, thank you. Good job by the way. The BB is definitely easier than the SS although I will be attempting the BB gold when I go to Sturgis.