My HD mods

Hello everyone! I’m kinda new and not as active on here as I’d like to be. Hope to change that as well as hope to meet as many of you as possible down the road.
I ride an 06 FXDBi (StreetBob) which was the goofball experimental transition bike in 2006 (last year of the 88” engine and Dyna models were the first to get the 6spd) and so finding aftermarket parts has always been a chore and required a lot of reading between the lines, phone calls and experimenting with Harley techs and sometimes some fabrication.
In 2015 the factory engine puked its guts up and ate the oiling system and the crank assembly twisted up nicely soooo....

Engine: 106” stroker engine. S&S crank/flywheels/rods/pistons/jugs, Larry’s Motorcycle and Machine custom one off heads, 11:1 compression, manual realeases, Mackie 598 cams, 58mm throttle body, HPi 58mm intake, D&D Borezilla 2-1 exhaust, down tube mount JAGG 10 row oil cooler, TTS Mastertune tuned on the dyno because I don’t believe in run of the mill downloadable plug and play maps

Driveline: Evolution Industries compensator eliminator crank sprocket, evolution industries billet clutch basket, Barnett Scorpion lock-up clutch, 300hp rated chain drive conversion.

Suspension: patriot genesis front suspension springs, rear: progressive 10’ shocks for drag racing, two brothers 14” 4way adjustable bozooka piggy backs for LDR/Rally/adventure riding

Two sets of wheels 1) 21’x3.5” fat spoke with an 18”x5.5 fat spoke for looking cool and going fast straight with avon cobra tires 2) stock dyna mags with high speed w rated continental TKC70 or avon trail riders (haven’t decided yet on the extra set of tires

Currently running a Harley quick detach windshield, hopping to add on a Russ Weirmont FXRT Dyna Touring Fairing, square dyna engine guard with 2 PIAA 5” LED driving lights and 2 PIAA 3.5” LED fog lights, LED bulb conversion in the stock 5.75 light housing. Stock bars, mid mount pegs and forward controls, Stock seat from an 08 Superglide (wore the old 06 one out) custom front and rear fenders, heavily modified dyna touring hard bag brackets made to accept 2013 full size touring bags. Retro style sissy bar modified to mount 2.5 gallon spun aluminum aux fuel tank

I call it the FrankenDynaPig because there’s very little left of the original bike outside of the frame and the transmission and some factory bolt ons like triple trees and fork tubes and I can set it up for strip or Offroad-ish riding. I could have bought my dream Road Glide by now if I’d stop throwing good money into my dinosaur dyna but i love it and I’m kind of a performance junky. At 38 I’m old enough to know better but I still think I’m too young to care... or an idiot.

Enough about all that. Hope your all well and getting amped up for the biggest and best months of riding season.

That's the beauty of a HOG. 16 year old bike and parts aren't an issue, you can make it yours in any way you wish and they are more then fast enough to get you in jail. They may not have all the bells and whistles of many other brands but they really are easy to maintain on the road and are actually quite reliable when taken care of. I have 3 V-twin machines, a 91 Springer with over 90K miles, my 09 Buell Ulysses with 45K and the 17 HD Ultra with 49K and they are rock solid for me.

Ride safe man and enjoy that Dyna! They are great machines! Sounds like you have made that machine yours in every single way!

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hello everyone! I’m kinda new and not as active on here as I’d like to be. Hope to change that as well as hope to meet as many of you as possible down the road.
I ride an 06 FXDBi (StreetBob) which was the goofball experimental transition bike in 2006 (last year of the 88” engine and Dyna models were the first to get the 6spd) and so finding aftermarket parts has always been a chore and required a lot of reading between the lines, phone calls and experimenting with Harley techs and sometimes some fabrication.
In 2015 the factory engine puked its guts up and ate the oiling system and the crank assembly twisted up nicely soooo....

Engine: 106” stroker engine. S&S crank/flywheels/rods/pistons/jugs, Larry’s Motorcycle and Machine custom one off heads, 11:1 compression, manual realeases, Mackie 598 cams, 58mm throttle body, HPi 58mm intake, D&D Borezilla 2-1 exhaust, down tube mount JAGG 10 row oil cooler, TTS Mastertune tuned on the dyno because I don’t believe in run of the mill downloadable plug and play maps

Driveline: Evolution Industries compensator eliminator crank sprocket, evolution industries billet clutch basket, Barnett Scorpion lock-up clutch, 300hp rated chain drive conversion.

Suspension: patriot genesis front suspension springs, rear: progressive 10’ shocks for drag racing, two brothers 14” 4way adjustable bozooka piggy backs for LDR/Rally/adventure riding

Two sets of wheels 1) 21’x3.5” fat spoke with an 18”x5.5 fat spoke for looking cool and going fast straight with avon cobra tires 2) stock dyna mags with high speed w rated continental TKC70 or avon trail riders (haven’t decided yet on the extra set of tires

Currently running a Harley quick detach windshield, hopping to add on a Russ Weirmont FXRT Dyna Touring Fairing, square dyna engine guard with 2 PIAA 5” LED driving lights and 2 PIAA 3.5” LED fog lights, LED bulb conversion in the stock 5.75 light housing. Stock bars, mid mount pegs and forward controls, Stock seat from an 08 Superglide (wore the old 06 one out) custom front and rear fenders, heavily modified dyna touring hard bag brackets made to accept 2013 full size touring bags. Retro style sissy bar modified to mount 2.5 gallon spun aluminum aux fuel tank

I call it the FrankenDynaPig because there’s very little left of the original bike outside of the frame and the transmission and some factory bolt ons like triple trees and fork tubes and I can set it up for strip or Offroad-ish riding. I could have bought my dream Road Glide by now if I’d stop throwing good money into my dinosaur dyna but i love it and I’m kind of a performance junky. At 38 I’m old enough to know better but I still think I’m too young to care... or an idiot.

Enough about all that. Hope your all well and getting amped up for the biggest and best months of riding season.
Welcome. I ride a 2006 Sportster and it has completed 3 Iron Butt Rallies. Mine is named FrankenSporty after I blew my engine in 2017 with only 203,000 miles on it a few weeks before the IBR and had to source a used engine.

JAORE

Premier Member
I wrote about my FLTRU above. Thought I'd chime in about my other bike. In late spring 2020 I purchased a 2014 XL1200C with 2,070 miles.

Well cared for with fresh fluids. It came with the 4.5 gallon tank, a windshield and hard bags by Harley. A good foundation (IMO) for a solo touring bike.

I have added a Mustang wide touring seat, Hog Works LED headlight, LED signal lights at all four corners, a RAM X-Mount, mustache engine guard with foot pads, and hand guards. Plus I added mirror extensions for a cleaner view to the rear.

I took it on a SS 1000 and she was a fine choice. There was no cracking evident and (obviously) there was a lot of tread left on the tires, but the rubber had gotten hard. I tried incrementally harder braking and the front tire "chirped" earlier than I was comfortable. In addition the shocks (stock) were brutal. New Commander 111 tires arrived today and longer (13 inch) Progressive 444 shocks arrived couple of days ago.

There are a couple of other things I have in mind, but for my purposes it will be 95+% complete when the tires and shocks are mounted.

Last edited:

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I wrote about my FLTRU above. Thought I'd chime in about my other bike. In late spring 2020 I purchased a 2014 XL1200C with 2,070 miles.

Well cared for with fresh fluids. It came with the 4.5 gallon tank, a windshield and hard bags by Harley. A good foundation (IMO) for a solo touring bike.

I have added a Mustang wide touring seat, Hog Works LED headlight, LED signal lights at all four corners, a RAM X-Mount, mustache engine guard with foot pads, and hand guards. Plus I added mirror extensions for a cleaner view to the rear.

I took it on a SS 1000 and she was a fine choice. There was no cracking evident and (obviously) there was a lot of tread left on the tires, but the rubber had gotten hard. I tried incrementally harder braking and the front tire "chirped" earlier than I was comfortable. In addition the shocks (stock) were brutal. New Commander 111 tires arrived today and longer (13 inch) Progressive 444 shocks arrived couple of days ago.

There are a couple of other things I have in mind, but for my purposes it will be 95+% complete when the tires and shocks are mounted.
I've tried several different tires and the ones I like the best are the Dunlop American Elites. Pretty good wear and grip