Neil Peart’s book

Airportbum

Premier Member
I listen to Rush 4-6 hours straight at the start of every long ride.
Neil’s other books are great too. He would ride between shows while touring. His riding buddy had an identical bike, so if something happened, Neil would keep riding to the show and his buddy would take care of the problem. Wouldn’t that be nice on the IBR... although slightly against the spirit...

I read recently in an article about Neil Peart that he was an IB. I can't find him on the members list so I am curious if he was. I hope for those IBers who have had their final ride and moved on to what's next, that they still retain member status.

I'm planning a "tribute" ride to Neil Peart in Canada once the borders open back up. I wanted to do it last year, but alas . . . not possible. If Neil is an IB member, then I'll have to plan an IB ride. Regina to Abbottsford or Vancouver should do it. All RUSH the entire ride.

CB650F

Premier Member
With a search of The Big List, I don't see a Neil Peart. The only Pearts I see are Greg Peart from Sacramento, CA, and a Margaret Peart from Tasmania Australia.

Perhaps Neil Peart is a pseudonym. Perhaps uses a pseudonym for his certs, though I can't imagine why anyone would. Perhaps he is a member, but only recently joined and the big list hasn't been updated with his ride yet. That can take a few months. Perhaps I misspelled "Peart" and didn't realize it. Nobody can be sure, but there is something we can be sure of. If he's been an IBA member for more than a year, his ride would be listed in the big ride list. Once you are a member, you're a member for life. Actually, you're a member even longer than that because nobody is going to purge the record if you die.

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
"Perhaps he is a member, but only recently joined and the big list hasn't been updated with his ride yet."

That would be somewhat difficult as Neil passed away in January 2020.
The music that Rush made was certainly an important part of my youth and is still enjoyed today.

CB650F

Premier Member
"Perhaps he is a member, but only recently joined and the big list hasn't been updated with his ride yet."

That would be somewhat difficult as Neil passed away in January 2020.
The music that Rush made was certainly an important part of my youth and is still enjoyed today.
Oh, I hadn't heard of his passing, or don't remember. Death certainly would make it difficult to say the least. I think we can safely say "recently joined" is not why I didn't find him in the list.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Although I had a couple of email exchanges with him and enjoyed riding, he was not an IBA member.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Baxter

I read Ghost Rider sometime this winter. Interesting but sad personal story about how he was able to bear tragic loss partially through motorcycle travel, but there's hope at the end (no spoilers from me). It's worth a read. Perhaps especially if you've lost someone you love.

Thanks all for the discussion. I hadn't thought about an alias (he had several). I searched the ones I knew and found nothing. He may not have been an official IBA member, but he sure did advocate riding.

And yes, Ghost Rider is definitely worth the read. Shows you the power of positive thinking through motorcycling. It worked for me!