Nesting oddity

JAORE

Premier Member
OK, I've never nested a pair (or more) of rides. But I've been thinking of pursuing a couple of in-state rides NOT in my home state of Alabama.

But It's a bit of a ride to the neighboring states, especially times two to get home.

Here's the question:
Suppose I ride to the adjoining state, ride the 1,000+ then ride home. Further suppose the total ride is 1,500+.

Depending on total time, can I get credit for a BB (regular, silver or gold) as well as an in-state SS?

I don't even plan on asking for two certificates. But I'd like the in-state "credit" for purposes of the In State award program.

If the answer is "no" I'd likely just apply for the in-state SS 1000.

Last edited:

CB650F

Premier Member
You can do a BB without doing an in-state SS, so you should be able to nest an in-state SS in the BB without any issues.
I wouldn't think you can get credit for the in-state SS if you don't get a certificate for it though. If you don't pay for the cert, it seems like it wouldn't be certified. (I'm not on the verification team, so I could be wrong here.) I guess you could just request no physical certificate be sent to you if you so desire.

This association will ONLY evaluate and present certificates one earns, provides appropriate documentation for, and pays the required fees.---- as IS ONLY right.
That said---- One can nest a SS 1000, in state SS1000 within any other LONGER ride- Remember documentation for each of the nested rides must be met and fees paid----- So, for a nested ss1000 and a bbGold or Silver within a SS3000 one would need starting documentation for each of the rides then ending documentation for the ss1000, ending documentation for the BBG or S, and then starting and ending documentation for each of the SS1000s done on 3 consecutive days.
Suggest not to make it harder than it has too be, follow the rules from the ride ya wants, and most importantly BE SAFE and have fun!

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
That said---- One can nest a SS 1000, in state SS1000 within any other LONGER ride- Remember documentation for each of the nested rides must be met and fees paid----- So, for a nested ss1000 and a bbGold or Silver within a SS3000 one would need starting documentation for each of the rides then ending documentation for the ss1000, ending documentation for the BBG or S, and then starting and ending documentation for each of the SS1000s done on 3 consecutive days.
One cannot nest an SS1k within a BBG, no matter how hard you spin it...

JAORE

Premier Member
One cannot nest an SS1k within a BBG, no matter how hard you spin it...
Agree. I've seen that several times. The more I think about it, this may be a non-issue. The in-state routes I have plotted in adjoining states make a BBG problematic. And I know you can nest a SS1000 in a regular BB.
No problem paying for two rides if that's what it takes.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There is actually kind of an interesting question in there. Normally, since a BBG would absolutely require you to have done a SS, you can't nest a SS inside a BBG. It's simply not possible to have NOT done a SS if you did the BBG.

But... Doing a BBG and having an In State SS inside of that presents the side question. If your BBG was not In State, then doing the In State SS is not a given. It's entirely possible to ride a BBG w/o necessarily doing an In State SS.

For simplicity sake and consistency, I would imagine the IBA won't sing that tune and would not accept that kind of nesting ride scenario. :cool: But only the IBA can say what they would accept.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
This association will ONLY evaluate and present certificates one earns, provides appropriate documentation for, and pays the required fees.---- as IS ONLY right.
Suggest not to make it harder than it has too be, follow the rules from the ride ya wants, and most importantly BE SAFE and have fun!
I haven't spent the time to fully analyze the above, but the statement that "One can nest a SS 1000, in state SS1000 within any other LONGER ride" is flat wrong, as is some other statements.

To recap the basic rule for nested rides: if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only issue a single certificate. The classic example is that everyone who completes a Bun Burner GOLD (1,500 miles in 24 hours) has by definition also completed a Saddlesore 1000 (1,000 in 24 hours or less) as well as Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours or less). By contrast it is possible to complete a Bun Burner 1500 without necessarily completing a Saddlesore 1000 (i.e., one finishes the first 1,000 miles in 25 hours but the 1,500 miles in the allowed 36 hours). So we could, and on a regular basis do, award both certificates. So much of what was stated above is incorrect.

To reply to the original question, with the proper documentation, you could nest the in-state SS1K within a Bun Burner 1500.or Bun Burner SILVER, but not the Bun Burner GOLD.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited:

JAORE

Premier Member
There is actually kind of an interesting question in there. Normally, since a BBG would absolutely require you to have done a SS, you can't nest a SS inside a BBG. It's simply not possible to have NOT done a SS if you did the BBG.

But... Doing a BBG and having an In State SS inside of that presents the side question. If your BBG was not In State, then doing the In State SS is not a given. It's entirely possible to ride a BBG w/o necessarily doing an In State SS.

For simplicity sake and consistency, I would imagine the IBA won't sing that tune and would not accept that kind of nesting ride scenario. :cool: But only the IBA can say what they would accept.
That is exactly the thought behind my question. But you phrased it (a lot) better. Thanks.

JAORE

Premier Member
So much for the nested "Loop Hole" BBG/SS1000 (I keed, I keed!);)

Clear (and fair) enough. Just means I get to ride a few miles to get to the start of the In-State SS 1000 and a few more to get home after. Never a bad thing.

Thanks.

Last edited: