New bit

Hello,
I'm harvesting this site for tips as I plan to have a crack at the RBLR 1000 next year.
I'm well accustomed to doing 400 miles days, but 1000 is obviously rather different, so I'm 'in training'.
I have done 1k once before, by accident, but I was very much younger and fitter then.
I have a Harley now and find it just as comfortable as the two GSs I had prior to this. I am finding the noise a bit more wearing though
I hope to make it to a ride to eat, so perhaps I'll see you then.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A ride to eat is good as you can ask away for advice.
1st thing you need to do is wear earplugs.
Age is not a problem... I'm 69

A ride to eat is good as you can ask away for advice.
1st thing you need to do is wear earplugs.
Age is not a problem... I'm 69
I'm wearing ear plugs already, but thinking about some made to fit ones. I had a pair for work, but can't find them now.
Age is just a number..... Like 1000 is just a number

Aitch

Screen helps to reduce noise so if you don't have one already you could fit one to the bike.

I always used to use 3m foam plugs but recently splashed out on some ultimate earplugs. The fitted earplugs do a noticeably better job at reducing noise and after long motorway journeys with the foam plugs I would get a bit of tinnitus - not so much with the fitted plugs. Definitely recommend them....

I do have a screen, I don't think I could do 400 miles without one, let alone 1000.
I'm hearing (pun intended) good things about ultimate ear.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
The important thing is when you stop fuel, What range do you get from a tank full on your Hardly Dangerous? Toilet, (no good getting fifty miles down the road and having to stop for a pee)
drink some water, have a snack, don't be worried about quitting if you are cold/wet/tired you can always do the ride another day.
+1 for Ultimate ear reduces noise fatigue over long distance.
Don't worry about age it's a number i'm 69 but better looking than Phil.

Last edited:
Cruising at 80, about 180 miles per tank; I usually start looking for fuel after 150 miles. When I stop I have a drink of water, and a Tracker Bar if I'm hungry. I really don't like to stop unnecessarily.