New Garmin Zumo XT Review - Updated

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
This is looking promising. After looking at your review, I have a couple more questions.

1a. Can it connect to and stram to more than one Sena headset at a time?
-or-
1b. Does it have an "Audio Out" jack ala the GPSMAP x76 series to which one can connect a Bluetooth dongle?

2. On the screenshot for "Fuel Gauge Settings" there are a couple options that are disabled because "out of motorcycle mount" -- Is there a mount available for BMW that will enable these options?

As an aside, could not help but notice you have the "Speeding Alerts" disabled.... :eek::D

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This is looking promising. After looking at your review, I have a couple more questions.

1a. Can it connect to and stram to more than one Sena headset at a time?
-or-
1b. Does it have an "Audio Out" jack ala the GPSMAP x76 series to which one can connect a Bluetooth dongle?

2. On the screenshot for "Fuel Gauge Settings" there are a couple options that are disabled because "out of motorcycle mount" -- Is there a mount available for BMW that will enable these options?

As an aside, could not help but notice you have the "Speeding Alerts" disabled.... :eek::D
I don't know of any Garmin GPS that will connect to multiple headsets by Bluetooth but who knows I have not tried to do that. Do you currently have a GPS connected by Bluetooth to more than one Bluetooth headset?

There is no audio out plug.

The fuel guage was disabled because I did not have it in the mount when I took the screen shot.

There is no BMW specific mount.

I don't need the speed alert because I don't speed. :)

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I don't know of any Garmin GPS that will connect to multiple headsets by Bluetooth but who knows I have not tried to do that. Do you currently have a GPS connected by Bluetooth to more than one Bluetooth headset?
Kind of but not directly... I have a 478 piping XM and GPS Routing audio to an SM10 and the SM10 drives two SMH-10s.

The fuel guage was disabled because I did not have it in the mount when I took the screen shot.

There is no BMW specific mount.
How does the mount get the data from the bike?

I don't need the speed alert because I don't speed. :)
Haha... Good answer. When I am using Waze, I have the alert set to +5. I rarely hear it trigger...

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Thank you for the thorough review and screen shots.

How well did the music player work for you? Were you able to turn it off? I got extremely frustrated with the Pandora streaming feature on my Zumo 396 LMT-S. Once I set that up, the Zumo would force-launch Pandora on my phone any time it was powered on, whether I wanted it to or not. I could kill Pandora on my phone and try to stop it on the Zumo device, but Garmin Drive would just force launch it over and over again. Terrible. The only way I could find to stop this behavior was to uninstall Garmin Drive from my phone, but now I don't get safety notifications.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
How does the mount get the data from the bike?
It does not read any information form the bike.

In the GPS you add the normal fuel range and the GPS just counts down based on how many miles you rode according to the GPS. You can also add in a field at what point do you want the GPS to alert you about low fuel level. There is noting 100% accurate about how this works.

I have mine set to a fuel range of 350 miles and a low fuel warning of 30 miles. This is my normal range and depending on conditions it could change.

It is just a way to help you track your fuel use. The FJR has a good fuel gauge and it also alerts to low fuel so the GPS is just another way to keep an eye on it.

Hey Greg, I was wondering what speaker you are using and how does it sound at speed? I tried using my Bose SoundLink Mini on my accessory shelf but it wasn't enough to overcome the noise above around 30mph.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hey Greg, I was wondering what speaker you are using and how does it sound at speed? I tried using my Bose SoundLink Mini on my accessory shelf but it wasn't enough to overcome the noise above around 30mph.
The Garmin Zumo XT is connected by Bluetooth to my Sena headset.

The Bluetooth speaker mounted between my handlebars is connected to my phone and I play music through it. It works good up to 70 MPG as it is a 24 watt system. It is also waterproof. Here is the link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQWG3PR/

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am still getting used to my new Garmin Zumo XT GPS and today I came across a feature that had been removed from Garmin GPS's many years ago. This feature is the ability to see waypoints / favorites / bonuses zoomed out. On the new Zumo XT you can see these now zoomed out to 50 miles. The heart shaped icons are my favorites. You can see in the bottom right corner the zoom level of 50 miles.

This is a big deal for rally riders!

I have updated my Zumo XT webpage with more images and text.

http://www.gregrice.com/zumoxt/zumoxt.html

Last edited:

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Greg,

When you search along your current route how does it display the results? I have a Nuvi2555 that displays them by the exit number which I really find useful for finding fuel and food when traveling with my wife.

Attachments

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Greg,

When you search along your current route how does it display the results? I have a Nuvi2555 that displays them by the exit number which I really find useful for finding fuel and food when traveling with my wife.
I am not sure. It has a feature called up ahead that you can customize and have it display different types of data and locations. One way for sure is to go to saved locations and then select along your route and it will only shows those that are along your route.