New Garmin Zumo XT Review - Updated

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Greg,

When you search along your current route how does it display the results? I have a Nuvi2555 that displays them by the exit number which I really find useful for finding fuel and food when traveling with my wife.
I just checked and the up ahead feature is better than the exit services opt.

Up ahead shows you locations on any road not just interstate exits. You can also configure the up ahead locations.

Hey Greg...you've made a big deal on the weather and traffic alerts on the new Zumo. Could you tell us what the difference is between how the Nav VI does alerts (when paired with the phone app), and the Zumo?

Also, since you once also had an RT (and the reason my bike looks like it does, lol), could you give us your opinion on mounting the Zumo using the included mount on the accessory shelf RT riders would have? Thanks a bunch!

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hey Greg...you've made a big deal on the weather and traffic alerts on the new Zumo. Could you tell us what the difference is between how the Nav VI does alerts (when paired with the phone app), and the Zumo?

Also, since you once also had an RT (and the reason my bike looks like it does, lol), could you give us your opinion on mounting the Zumo using the included mount on the accessory shelf RT riders would have? Thanks a bunch!
I have always like having weather on my GPS as far back as the Garmin 2730 with the GXM 30 antenna.

The new Zumo XT uses a new Garmin app called "Garmin Drive" it is a little better than the previous one ( SmartLink ) that I still use for my Dezl 770. The response time is better and I like the screens better. You can get the same information from both.

I think it would be easy to mount a Zumo XT on the dash with a Ram ball. The new Zumo XT weighs less than the 595 or the Nav 6. I think all you would extra that does not come with the Zumo XT is a Ram ball to mount on the dash shelf.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I experienced a couple new nice features with the new Garmin Zumo XT during my I-20 E2E ride this weekend.

One was that it alerted me with a alert tone and on screen alert that I was going the wrong way on a one way street.

The other was that it alerted me twice about stopped traffic ahead when approaching an accident on I-20.

To do the stopped traffic alert you need to have the new Garmin Drive app on your phone.and have the phone connected to the Zumo XT.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I experienced a couple new nice features with the new Garmin Zumo XT during my I-20 E2E ride this weekend.

One was that it alerted me with a alert tone and on screen alert that I was going the wrong way on a one way street.

The other was that it alerted me twice about stopped traffic ahead when approaching an accident on I-20.

To do the stopped traffic alert you need to have the new Garmin Drive app on your phone.and have the phone connected to the Zumo XT.
The 595 did this too, however one thing I hated about the 595 was the traffic. Too often it would tell me about a traffic delay after I was sitting in it. The delay was too long.

How is the XT with advanced warning?

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The 595 did this too, however one thing I hated about the 595 was the traffic. Too often it would tell me about a traffic delay after I was sitting in it. The delay was too long.

How is the XT with advanced warning?
It is much better with the traffic than previous Zumo's BUT it is not perfect. I also use Google maps or Waze to confirm any traffic information.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
It is much better with the traffic than previous Zumo's BUT it is not perfect. I also use Google maps or Waze to confirm any traffic information.
Good ol' "You entered a construction zone ¼ mile back. We would have told you soon enough to actually have a chance to take a detour, but then again, it is Waze" Waze...

biquer

Premier Member

I was given the one-way warning too, it took me by surprise, I had to think 'is that new or have I heard it before?' only my 'one-way' street was actually 2-way, just in an old town and it was a very narrow street that is 2-way but only 1 at a time in each direction. For me the XT is a sharper, lighter, faster and more feature rich than any previous Zumo. I haven't done a lot of miles with it so I'll defer my final verdict until I properly test the routing to see if it has inherited the previous Zumo traits of routing you through 3 miles of back lane to save 2 metres of main road, etc.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I was given the one-way warning too, it took me by surprise, I had to think 'is that new or have I heard it before?' only my 'one-way' street was actually 2-way, just in an old town and it was a very narrow street that is 2-way but only 1 at a time in each direction. For me the XT is a sharper, lighter, faster and more feature rich than any previous Zumo. I haven't done a lot of miles with it so I'll defer my final verdict until I properly test the routing to see if it has inherited the previous Zumo traits of routing you through 3 miles of back lane to save 2 metres of main road, etc.
You mean you don't like being told to exit the interstate, ride along side of it on a service road, stopping at three lights, oy to be told to get back on the interstate? (Sarcasm)

Real "real-time" traffic is the ONLY reason I don't use a dedicated GPS on my ride now. Personally, I see it as a safety concern not having my phone on my person in case of an accident that separates me from my bike (I have this nightmare about running off the road and not being able to get to my phone to call for help). Obviously, since I do it anyways, it's not that big a deal but it would be great to find out Garmin has finally figured out how to do it (or gotten into bed with a real-time traffic data source). I would buy this gizmo tomorrow if there are more first-person reports of its accuracy in areas outside major cities.

Paul Meyer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I was looking at an XT out in Colorado last weekend that a guy got and had just started using. He mentioned a weird anomaly with it not wanting to recalculate when he took a different route than Garmin was trying to give him. Said it took about 10 minutes to finally recalculate the route and catch up with him. Has anyone else noticed this? I am just curious. It is a slick looking device.

Greg - due to your excellent write up on the XT I ordered one today. I look forward to giving it a try on a longish ride.

I am replacing my Tom Tom 550 rider with the XT. I am wondering 'if' I keep the TT on the bike how could I use the 2nd GPS on rides? Thanks!

biquer

Premier Member
Greg - due to your excellent write up on the XT I ordered one today. I look forward to giving it a try on a longish ride.

I am replacing my Tom Tom 550 rider with the XT. I am wondering 'if' I keep the TT on the bike how could I use the 2nd GPS on rides? Thanks!
I use the Tomtom Rider 550 alongside my Zumo XT. I've always used a Tomtom alongside the various Garmins I've had. Unfortunately, until Garmin proves me wrong, if I come to a junction and Garmin says left but Tomtom says right, I go right. The Tomtom interface and usability is way inferior to Garmin, making it a poor choice as a primary rally GPS, but in my experience the A to B routing of Tomtom is 'sensible' whereas Garmin is 'quirky'.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I was looking at an XT out in Colorado last weekend that a guy got and had just started using. He mentioned a weird anomaly with it not wanting to recalculate when he took a different route than Garmin was trying to give him. Said it took about 10 minutes to finally recalculate the route and catch up with him. Has anyone else noticed this? I am just curious. It is a slick looking device.
I have used my new Zumo XT for 4,800 miles now and have not had any issues like that.

I have the Zumo XT configured to ask me to recalculate when I decide to go off route.

There are a few different ways to tell the Zumo XT how to act when you go off Route.

Greg:
On a separate issue (I purchased the XT and very happy - thank you for the great review) it seems difficult to find Interstate highways when searching for routes. Example wanting to find I-10 and I-75 intersection. Does the Garmin like this information formatted a certain in the search?Thanks, Jim

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Greg:
On a separate issue (I purchased the XT and very happy - thank you for the great review) it seems difficult to find Interstate highways when searching for routes. Example wanting to find I-10 and I-75 intersection. Does the Garmin like this information formatted a certain in the search?Thanks, Jim
I have not tried to search for highway intersections, I normally browse the map and touch on it where I want to route to.

Okay and thank you for your SUPER speedy reply. One last question and I think I already know the answer - I am betting you are NOT a Mac user - correct? Thanks once again. Jim