New Garmin Zumo XT Review - Updated

TdLpps

Premier Member
I may have found a possible issue with the power cords on the new Zumo XT's.

Garmin moved the power transformer ( 12 volts to 5 volts ) to the hardwired power cord. It is a small black box. The black box may not be waterproof as I found on two rides that after riding in heavy rain the Zumo XT would switch between hardwire powered and internal battery powered.

On my last ride I waterproofed the black box power transformer and the issue of switching between hardwired powered and internal battery power did not happen.

I will keep monitoring.
Greg,

Would you mind elaborating on what you did to waterproof the 12V-5V converter box on the power cord. I'm thinking shrink wrap, but with that being a very permanent waterproof, it would prevent you from accessing the box in the future.

Thanks.

TdLpps

Premier Member
Ah.....

While I was hoping for a long answer that began with, "....well I was having drinks with a chemical engineer neighbor of mine and he mentioned he was researching a new product specifically designed to seal a non-waterproof power box that was included on a supposedly water-resistant outdoor electrical appliance....", this is better.

Should I use silver,....or black?

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Donald A Jones

Premier Member
IBA Member
Just a short note, got my new ZUMO XT today, battery was so dead it took1/2 hour or longer for it to actually work. Downloaded BaseCamp, many issues like how do you save it and where is it downloaded to relaunch it. It's late, work on it more tomorrow.

I just got a Zumo XT only to find that my MAC version of Basecamp does not see it. Evidently there may be other ways to load waypoints etc for MAC users but I discovered this method which works for saved addresses and waypoints (all I care about). I simply cleared all saved places from my old Garmin 595, took my desired waypoints in MAC Basecamp and loaded them into the 595. Then I connected the 595 to Garmin Express and did a backup. This by going to Tools and Content in Garmin Express and then Utilities and backing up the 595's content. Next I connected my new Zumo XT to Garmin Express and used Transfer Favorites.
During this process I also learned how to import many waypoints into Categories on the Zumo by assigning them a Category in Basecamp using Get Info and References. This can be done at once for large groups of waypoints in Basecamp but on the Zumo Waypoints can be assigned a Category only one at a time with multiple clicks. (Don't ask me how I know, but that's all I know!)

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I just got a Zumo XT only to find that my MAC version of Basecamp does not see it. Evidently there may be other ways to load waypoints etc for MAC users but I discovered this method which works for saved addresses and waypoints (all I care about). I simply cleared all saved places from my old Garmin 595, took my desired waypoints in MAC Basecamp and loaded them into the 595. Then I connected the 595 to Garmin Express and did a backup. This by going to Tools and Content in Garmin Express and then Utilities and backing up the 595's content. Next I connected my new Zumo XT to Garmin Express and used Transfer Favorites.
During this process I also learned how to import many waypoints into Categories on the Zumo by assigning them a Category in Basecamp using Get Info and References. This can be done at once for large groups of waypoints in Basecamp but on the Zumo Waypoints can be assigned a Category only one at a time with multiple clicks. (Don't ask me how I know, but that's all I know!)
Far easier to export your route waypoints to a gpx file from Basecamp, connect your XT as a usb device to your Mac and drag/drop the gpx file to your XT using your file explorer.

Doing the same with an sd card and putting the sd card into your XT will work just as well.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I just got a Zumo XT only to find that my MAC version of Basecamp does not see it.
Ah... there's a trick. You have quit Garmin Express in order for Basecamp to recognize the unit.

(Figuring that out was 3 days of DEEP DIVE into how OSX interacts with Android over USB...)

My old MAC (El Capitan OSX 10.11.6) doesn't see the XT even after quitting Garmin Express. But Garmin Express does so that's why I fell upon the Garmin Express Backup/Restore procedure. And I still have my old Zumo 595.

Auburn

Premier Member
I recently picked up a Garmin XT. Updated the maps with Garmin Express.

Launched Basecamp, it recognized the XT and locked up. Found a solution on Garmin's forum for basecamp. In file explorer locate the POI file on the internal storage drive of the XT. Delete the "USCanadaCyclopsSample.gpi" file. Restart Basecamp and it will launch just fine after that.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I recently picked up a Garmin XT. Updated the maps with Garmin Express.

Launched Basecamp, it recognized the XT and locked up. Found a solution on Garmin's forum for basecamp. In file explorer locate the POI file on the internal storage drive of the XT. Delete the "USCanadaCyclopsSample.gpi" file. Restart Basecamp and it will launch just fine after that.
Interesting. I did not have this issue with the two Zumo XT's that I connected to Basecamp. I had to replace my first Zumo XT because it was on my stolen 2021 BMW GSA. I bought the second one as a replacement for that one.

biquer

Premier Member
There is a current issue with connectivity to the XT. There are several solutions suggested including deleting the Current.gpx etc. Some blame the latest Express. In some cases the XT is also recalculating routes that are sent to it even if the maps match. The issues do not affect all and might be fixed with the next updates. If yours is working fine maybe avoid any updates for a little while.

SteveG

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A question for the Zumo XT folks:
For all previous Zumo's I've connected my headset (Sena SMH10) directly to my iPhone 7 and then also to the Zumo. That pairing let me tap the phone button and use Siri. The jog dial also worked nicely to skip forward / backward on playing audio tracks (audio from the phone). I was never a fan of passing all functions through the GPS.
I tried the same setup with the Zumo XT and it was constantly "fighting" the phone bluetooth connection, to the point where this morning it was dropping / stopping the streaming phone audio every 5 seconds.
So, this evening I've paired the phone to the Zumo XT, and the headset to the Zumo XT. No more connection phone to headset. This seems to be the way most everyone else pairs them. Now it seems neither the phone or jog dial work as they used to. Am I now forced to use the Zumo touchscreen to initiate phone calls, and change audio tracks?
All devices are fully up to date with firmware / software for what that's worth.
[EDIT]: after continuing testing the jog dial does work when playing MP3's on a SD card in the Zumo. It does not work for audio passed from phone to Zumo via bluetooth. Does this match everyone else's experience?
Thanks all!

Last edited:

Paul Meyer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Steve I am running a 20s evo head set and a Galaxy S7 phone. I had XT to headset for turn by turn and phone to headset for music and Valentine radar detector app. I got a new phone Galaxy S20 that I am carrying in my pocket. I still have S7 on dash for music and detector. I run the S20 through the XT for phone and garmin drive app weather and traffic. I know confusing and totally non Iphone related lol. Sound from XT for turn by turn is great. Phone call clarity through the XT sucks though. I use the XT to answer and make calls and text and email pop up on XT to read. I can't text back but that is not a bad thing. I haven't had any problems with XT dropping connection to S20 phone or breaking connection between S7 and headset.

How does your phone call audio compare going through the XT to what it was when phone was connected to head set?

bikerbill

IBR Finisher
I had an issue with my ZumoXT yesterday while in the Big Bend area of Texas. From near Marfa, heading south to Presidio and Lajitas, to north of Fort Stockton, heading north, it did not display the Next Turn indicator in the top left nor did it display the posted speed limit in the bottom left (I missed the speedometer with its red background). The turn-by-turn list and most of the voice prompts seemed to work normally. For most of the day I did the usual troubleshooting (restart, checked all navigation, display, etc. settings) I could do while riding. But once I was north of Fort Stockton the unit resumed its correct operation.

Could the map be in error? I will be contacting Garmin support about this.

Marc BEAULAC

Some areas do not have current info so sometimes that info drops. Garmin relies on the States/Provinces to provide speed info, overpass height etc. My Dezel 770 is still on 21 maps and XT on 22.x maps. Garmin said they were still waiting on some states to provide that info, so trucker info is dated: i.e 202 west in PHX is not on the Dezl maps, but has been open for almost 2 years west of i-10.

Follow-up to mapping issues in the Big Bend area of Texas:

Garmin Tech Support suggested that the Aftermarket maps I had installed might be causing the issue. (I had OSM maps of Mexico installed for a potential trip there.) Since I had not planned on revisiting the Big Bend area in the near future for testing they marked the ticket Closed with the option to reopen it at a later time.

During the IBR I did have the chance to revisit the Big Bend area so I tried Garmin's troubleshooting of disabling the OSM maps. When I did that the mapping issue went away. Reenabling the OSM maps brought back the issue. So Garmin's Tech Support was correct that the OSM maps were the issue.

I have disabled the OSM maps for now and will probably remove them as the trip to Mexico is on hold now.

I hope this helps anyone else that may have this issue.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Follow-up to mapping issues in the Big Bend area of Texas:

Garmin Tech Support suggested that the Aftermarket maps I had installed might be causing the issue. (I had OSM maps of Mexico installed for a potential trip there.) Since I had not planned on revisiting the Big Bend area in the near future for testing they marked the ticket Closed with the option to reopen it at a later time.

During the IBR I did have the chance to revisit the Big Bend area so I tried Garmin's troubleshooting of disabling the OSM maps. When I did that the mapping issue went away. Reenabling the OSM maps brought back the issue. So Garmin's Tech Support was correct that the OSM maps were the issue.

I have disabled the OSM maps for now and will probably remove them as the trip to Mexico is on hold now.

I hope this helps anyone else that may have this issue.
"OSM maps"? Do tell... My 478 is stuck at 2019.2 because Garmin determined it was at its "end of life" and my "Lifetime" maps will no longer update.

Although it only caused minor irritations during the '21 IBR, that was only because I was also running Waze and Google Maps side-by-side on a 7" android tablet. (When there was a disagreement, I went with the majority)

I would love to be able to get more current maps on the 478, even if they are occasionally inaccurate for speed limits (which are not displayed on the 478)....