New Helmet

I like my Neo Tech modular helmet. Matter of fact, I love it.

However, I am due for a new helmet. Mine is going on 6 years old and about 90,000 miles. I assumed I'd buy another Shoei. I spent almost $500 on two Sena 20s, 2 years ago. Now Shoei has contracted with Sena for the Neo Tech II to have their helmets set up for the Sena SRL.

This sounds great but since I already have two Sena 20s, how can I feel good about purchasing two new Shoei helmets for around $1600 which gives me the pleasure of purchasing two new SRL units for about $600.

I am not very sure the 20s will actually conveniently mount on the Neo Tech II.
If this change by Shoei would have happened two years ago before I bought my 20s it would have been cool and I would have purchased the SRL.

I want a modular helmet. I have looked at the modular AGV but the fit and finish on their modular is not good. The Bell modular is not as quiet. I don't like the feel of the Sueberth or the Nolan.

Does any of you have any ideas of how to get my 20s to mount and work on the new Neo Tech II helmet.

Thank you,
Jerry

coldfire

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Jerry,
Your 20S will mount on the neotec 2 with no problem. If you are using the boom mic you will have to switch to the wired boom mic. I just installed a 30K on my new neotec 2. Richard Battles at RKA tankbags did a video on it.

My thanks to both of you. It sure makes me feel better as the Neo Tech is the only helmet I really like and fits well.

I agree not being able to charge on the fly is crazy.

Neither Sena or Shoei was of any help on how to adapt the 20s to the NT2. I understand Sena as they want to sell new stuff. I thought Shoei would offer an idea but instead I was told to consider another model. I believe the Neo Tech II is the only modular they make.

Paul Meyer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you have a chance check out the HJC RPHA 90. Looked at them at IMS last weekend. They seem good but biggest thing is weight. Noticeably lighter than my Neotec and the external size is smaller.

I've just been through a similar dilema Jerry, and came full circle to ordering a Neotec 2 - just feels so much more robust than all the opposition I tried on. I'm hoping my Interphone setup will mount ok but looking at Joe's 30K I reckon it should be fine.

great to know, Paul, thanks.
I'll probably go with the Shoei. I hate to "change horses" if the one I am on is of a good line. For modular the Shoei still has the best reviews. My uncle, with years of riding, and a lot of others swear by the Nolan but I did not like it.

I still haven't settled on a helmet. Like I said above, probably the Neo Tech II but I saw the KLIM modular on the Revzilla site with mixed reviews.

Have any of you had experience with KLIM KT1200 helmet. I have their Badlands jacket and pants. I am very satisfied. I just wonder it their helmet is as good. The transition lens is not a priority with me. Quietness, comfort, no leak around shield, and ventilation are my main interests in comparison to the Shoei Neo Tech.

I still haven't settled on a helmet. Like I said above, probably the Neo Tech II but I saw the KLIM modular on the Revzilla site with mixed reviews.

Have any of you had experience with KLIM KT1200 helmet. I have their Badlands jacket and pants. I am very satisfied. I just wonder it their helmet is as good. The transition lens is not a priority with me. Quietness, comfort, no leak around shield, and ventilation are my main interests in comparison to the Shoei Neo Tech.
I have the TK1200 and LOVE it. Best helmet I've had so far. Only helmet I've owned that you can actually feel air flow on the forehead vents. I highly recommend it.

Thanks rookie for the info.

I have heard that some have had a problem with whistling of air passing around the face shield. Have you noticed that? Some have said the transition changes slow. I really don't think I'd have an issue with that.

Thanks rookie for the info.

I have heard that some have had a problem with whistling of air passing around the face shield. Have you noticed that? Some have said the transition changes slow. I really don't think I'd have an issue with that.
I haven't had any issues with noise. The transition doesn't bother me. It's a little dark on cloudy days, but not a big deal. I ride with my visor up a lot anyways, so not a deal breaker at all.

Jim Craig

Premier Member
IBR Finisher

I had a Neo Tech. I didn't like the NeoTech II, so last year I bought the Klim TK1200. I've ridden over 14K miles wearing the Klim. I can't speak to how quiet it is since I always were Big Ear ear buds. The shield has never leaked. Ventilation seems better than my old Neo Tech.

The good:
I love the light weight (due to the carbon fiber shell), it's about a pound (25%) lighter than the Neotech. On long rides, you'd be surprised how much difference the lighter weight makes. It's a comfortable helmet although I wear a size larger on the Klim than I did on the NeoTech. I like the quick connect chin strap. I like the Transitions visor, I never have to worry about wearing a too light visor in the day or a too dark visor at night. The visor has proven remarkably tough. I'm tough on visors and I went through 3 visors on the NeoTech the first year I owned it because it scratched so easily (and I hate scratches on my visor). The Transitions visor is scratch free so far.

The not so good:
It does not seem to be as well made as the NeoTech, perhaps because of it's light weight. I've had issues with the visor coming loose while I'm riding. This happens when I open the visor too far while I'm riding, never had that problem on the NeoTech. I've also had an issue where the entire chin bar flips backward, but this was when I was riding at about 80mph (in a western state where the speed limit was 75) and I opened the helmet while I was riding so that I could drink some water. (update: This is apparently a feature to allow the chin bar to flip totally back in an accident if it's not latched properly - https://www.motorcycle.com/products/klim-tk1200-karbon-modular-helmet-review). I've had issues where the bar wouldn't latch, turned out that the screws holding the bar to the helmet had come loose - once I tightened them things were fine. And while I love the visor, replacement visors are not cheap at $149 each. I carry an extra one with me, but so far haven't needed to take it out of the plastic.

Overall, I've tried on the NeoTech II and the Schuberth which are the only other two modular helmets that my dealership sells. If I had to replace my Klim today. I'd buy another Klim, no question. It's not perfect and I hope they make some improvements on the next version but I like it better than the alternatives.

Last edited:
Have you tried the new Klim modular helmet? It's lighter than some baseball hats I've had and only costs like $599...a big savings over the Shoei (I have the Neotec 1). I don't think it has the pinlock (which I found to be more of a nuisance), but it does have a transition face shield.

Jim Craig

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The only Klim modular helmets listed on Revzilla are TK1200 variants, which is what I reviewed. Is there a newer one out there?
The TK12000 includes a pinlock.

The only Klim modular helmets listed on Revzilla are TK1200 variants, which is what I reviewed. Is there a newer one out there?
The TK12000 includes a pinlock.
Yes, it's super-secret and only those deemed worthy have seen and touched it. :)

Actually what seems to have happened is that I was making my reply, failed to post it, went to another tab, and hours later, came back to the forum and discovered it hadn't posted yet. By that time, 6 million other people replied.

First post, but I checked into this thread a few weeks ago. I saw some KLIM KT1200 helmets on sale on line, so I ordered one. ($359). Luckily a white helmet is fine with me, and I also wear an XL. I’ve had HCJ RPL modular, and Shoei multitech modular. This KLIM fits me better than anything I’ve worn in a long time. It’s very light and very quiet. I’ve only had it for about 200 mi, but so far I’m very happy with it. Ventilation is better than my last Shoei Hornet.
Hope this helps.
Jeff