New here

Hello hello, everyone.
New SS1000 finisher soon,
Hopefully. I am preparing my self and my bike for 1610 km ride very soon. I have red rules and I got a question regarding speed.
My ride will start around 3-3.30 am and I will be going direction north, so if I go 20-30 km over speed limit would I be disqualified?
Thx
Cheers

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Not sure what direction of travel and time of day have to do with posted speed limits... That said, see #2 here:

https://ironbutt.org/25tips.html

Also note from the rules posted at <http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/index.html>

"Please remember that the Iron Butt Association is dedicated to the sport of safe, long-distance motorcycle riding. It does not condone nor will it tolerate unsafe activities such as excessive speed (in many states, riding more than 20 miles per hour above the speed limit will also get you charged with reckless driving. Reckless driving is a serious charge in any jurisdiction. In many cases your motorcycle can be impounded and you will be required to return to court for a personal appearance at a hearing, irrespective of the distance you have to travel to appear orthe hardship that it might entail. Few experiences in motorcycling are more memorable than an appearance in traffic court, particularly if your license hangs on the outcome), reckless motorcycle operation, riding while fatigued or otherwise impaired, the use of stimulants to maintain alertness, or any other activity that results in riders exceeding their personal limits. Any rider found to have engaged in these or other unsafe activities, as determined in the sole discretion of the IBA, will have the certification application refused. If the certificationis already issued and we find out about these infractions after the fact, the certification will be revoked (if you read Motorcyclist Magazine, you may have seen them burning an IBA certification when we revoked the certification of a noted staffer's ride). For these purposes, the IBA will consider as an admission of violating this policy any public statements made by the participant that describe participation in unsafe activities during a ride subject to certification."

Thank you, you right. I just thought British Columbia is a wild empty space and if you travel anywhere direction north highway's are straight and empty. My estimated time is around 18h and I thought if I go 10 miles over speed limit here in Canada cops want do nothing. Best thing I follow posted speed limit, make more miles and safe couple bucks. I want that certificate.
Thanks
Cheers

Bill53

Premier Member
I would suggest that for your first certificate that a 10 km buffer is pretty thin. In Ontario doing just the limit is sometimes 'risky' behavior. 10-15 kph over is usually okay but some 'wild empty space' is occupied by Bambi, Bullwinkle and Baloo - otherwise known as deer, moose, and bear ! Good Luck and ride safe !

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Welcome! My advice is to ride at a speed that is safe and not likely to earn you a performance award. Remember that a SS1000 requires an average speed of only 67kph. So even a moving speed of just 90-100kph (well within highway speed limits) gives plenty of time for fuel, food, and brief rest stops.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>My estimated time is around 18h and I thought if I go 10 miles over speed limit here in Canada cops want do nothing. Best thing I follow posted speed limit, make more miles and safe couple bucks. I want that certificate.
First, your estimates for a first SS ride is pretty good - 18 to 19 hours seems to be about nominal.

...and that estimate is by pretty decent adherence to the nice white-and-black signs with big numbers posted along the road. :cool:

You write that at 10 over (16kmph) they *don't* mess with you?

Like everything, it's extremely hard to judge or give wisdom for an area of the content I've not personally experienced. The other posts allude to the issues - especially on a first ride - that you probably shouldn't worry a lot about speed.

You need to equate it to more like a 'tour'. Except your stops to see things, are to get fuel, use the facilities, and maybe get a quick bite to eat.

For every minute you're stopped, you could be 1.5km down the road. Minimize the amount of time being stopped, and you end up - further down the road!

Last edited:

CB650F

Premier Member
As a general rule, I keep up with the flow of traffic. On my first IBA ride, I took a route through Florida on the Florida Turnpike. It's a toll road, but beats the hell out of trying to get to the keys without it. Speed limit there is 70 mph. Most people are doing 80-85, some up around 90 mph. Riding at the speed limit there would result in a very unpleasant meeting with other motorists. 70 is simply not safe. On that road, I kept up with the typical flow of traffic (around 80 to 82ish mph).

I don't think the IBA would have a problem with 10 km over. 15 is probably okay too. 30 km over is a bit excessive IMO. If your speed is likely to get you a performance award, it's too fast as far as I'm concerned. I would expect a conversation with a mountie at 30 kph over.

I can promise you, making the timer is the easy part. Anybody can do 1,600 km in 24 hours. That's an average of 66 km/h. Including typical food and fuel stops, that's easy to maintain. 100 km and up is typical for Canadian roads, right? The hard part is staying on the bike. Your butt gets sore. Your legs are stuck in the same position all freaking day long. It's very tempting to take more and more breaks just to get off the bike. Heck, my fuel stops got more and more frequent and longer in duration as my rides progress. The key is to just get back on the bike and finish the ride. (As long as you're not too tired or fatigued. Stay safe)

Going faster doesn't really save you much time in the long run. It burns more fuel, which makes you stop more often. It's also harder on your body, which means you'll be more fatigued than taking your time and slowing down. Riding 100 mph doesn't make sense when it costs you three additional fuel stops. Everything you save by speeding, you lose in additional stops.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I would suggest that for your first certificate that a 10 km buffer is pretty thin.
FYI, the Saddlesore 1600k actually requires you ride 1610km, so there is no 10km buffer. In any case, I don't think that was what the question being asked.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Thank you guys. I really appreciate input of everyone, I'll ride at posted speed limit and see how it goes, I don't want to risk anything. When I'm done RR will follow.
Thx again
Cheers

I have found the thing that helps the most is to predetermine your fuel stops. You may have to pee sooner but at least you know where the stops are. If it is a Gold or Extreme I would say call while planning to be sure they are open at O dark 33.

My biggest enemy is sleep. As I get older for some reason my body "thinks" it needs a nap after being awake 4 or so hours, sometimes sooner. I am working on retraining it. However, the Iron Butt Motel is always open and I am a Gold Club member. :)

I have found the thing that helps the most is to predetermine your fuel stops. You may have to pee sooner but at least you know where the stops are. If it is a Gold or Extreme I would say call while planning to be sure they are open at O dark 33.

My biggest enemy is sleep. As I get older for some reason my body "thinks" it needs a nap after being awake 4 or so hours, sometimes sooner. I am working on retraining it. However, the Iron Butt Motel is always open and I am a Gold Club member. :)
Thx, I calculate all my fuel stops at around 350-400 km and it should not take longer than 15 min. including a bit of a stretching and a couple bites.
Btw. I like your picture, as a kid and a teenager I always had a hope to visit Grand Canyon one day but with a current situation it no one knows whats goner happen.
Cheers

Charley,
Sounds like you got it figured out.
Thanks for the compliment. However, it is my VTX actually in Monument Valley area on Utah side arriving from the north. Race tech asked me to use it on their web site in the cruiser section. My claim to fame. :)

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Another piece if wisdom that I picked up from the IBA website years ago is to separate your stops when possible. Rather than riding 150-200 miles non-stop, and then stopping for fuel and food together, break it up. Stop for snack at 100 miles, gas at 200, meal at 300, etc... It doesn't add much if any time to your ride in the grand scheme of things, and your body enjoys the short but more frequent breaks. If you force yourself to power through 200 mile stretches when you're not accustomed to it, you're going to be more fatigued and sore.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Another piece if wisdom that I picked up from the IBA website years ago is to separate your stops when possible. Rather than riding 150-200 miles non-stop, and then stopping for fuel and food together, break it up. Stop for snack at 100 miles, gas at 200, meal at 300, etc... It doesn't add much if any time to your ride in the grand scheme of things, and your body enjoys the short but more frequent breaks. If you force yourself to power through 200 mile stretches when you're not accustomed to it, you're going to be more fatigued and sore.
The Archive of Wisdom is at

https://ironbutt.org/25tips.html

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
The Archive of Wisdom is at....
Can't tell ya how many times I've referred people to read that wisdom when they're just beginning 'touring-style' rides. Nearly every one has been amazed at how many quality tips are in that single document.

My interpretation of Tip #16 has been the same as what @keithu points out, and I started that one on my *second* certified ride.