New IBA fee

Biggles

Premier Member
The IBA has just announced the fee for processing a ride goes up to $US45 (AUD63) after April 30. They blame inflation. There's an option to just get an electronic PDF of the certificate and still pay "only" $US40 (AUD56). They only charge what it costs them, the announcement states. Premier members will have the email today.
So get those ride dockets out of the drawer- you have until Saturday!!

Brookester

Premier Member
Must be an expensive website.
The IBA is a club organized for the purpose of promoting safe long-distance riding. Although much of the work is done by volunteers, certain costs - paper, postage, data services, trademark fees, contractors and insurance event fees keep inching upward. So, with regret, for rides submitted after April 30, 2022, we must raise our basic certification fee for the first time in six years by $5 - from $40 to $45. Our goal here is to cover costs, not to make a ton of money, but we do have to keep our house in financial order for future generations. We are doing our best to hold the line and appreciate your support.

From the email.

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I can confirm, as one of those volunteers, we don't get paid.

I get my direct expenses reimbursed (for printing and sending certificates for AU and NZ riders), beyond that there is no payment for the time given to the organisation. - It is truly volunteer work, and it does consume a fair amount of time.

Some ongoing monthly costs which weren't previously experienced are for things which have increased the quality of services to members; things like the ticketing system which has been introduced and CloudFlare for website hosting (for improved security and increased load capability).

I think it's innovative of the IBA to introduce PDF based certs at this point to try to help to keep potential costs down for those users who aren't bothered about receiving printed and posted certificates.

Skidoo

Premier Member
I can confirm, as one of those volunteers, we don't get paid.

I get my direct expenses reimbursed (for printing and sending certificates for AU and NZ riders), beyond that there is no payment for the time given to the organisation. - It is truly volunteer work, and it does consume a fair amount of time.

Some ongoing monthly costs which weren't previously experienced are for things which have increased the quality of services to members; things like the ticketing system which has been introduced and CloudFlare for website hosting (for improved security and increased load capability).

I think it's innovative of the IBA to introduce PDF based certs at this point to try to help to keep potential costs down for those users who aren't bothered about receiving printed and posted certificates.

Thanks Chris

I think most of us understand the time and dedication volunteers contribute certifying rides and other associated admin work. Without volunteers the system would collapse or, substantial price increases would need to occur.

Having hosted numerous IBA musters and certifying them locally here in Oz, we understand the amount of time that is absorbed In the process. This does not include the printing, postage of certificates or merchandise to riders. Of course so does local website hosting etc is funded totally by local members.

The move to PDF certificates has been pushed by IBA Australia for many years and is a great move forward and has numerous advantages.

Its a team effort.

edit: typo

Last edited:

ACTCapo

Apologies if I sounded ungrateful. I’ve been involved is several volunteer organisations over the years (motorcycle racing, fishing), so I appreciate the unpaid work involved. But I still think $64 is steep for a certificate.

Dave28117

Premier Member
Apologies if I sounded ungrateful. I’ve been involved is several volunteer organisations over the years (motorcycle racing, fishing), so I appreciate the unpaid work involved. But I still think $64 is steep for a certificate.
64? are you including all the extra "stuff", or AUD? I only pay for the cert itself. note too that there is a "technology" submission that will keep cost at 40 if you don't want hard copy. that's where the PDF comes in. I bought a small amount of good heavier paper stock and can print my own.

Skidoo

Premier Member
64? are you including all the extra "stuff", or AUD? I only pay for the cert itself. note too that there is a "technology" submission that will keep cost at 40 if you don't want hard copy. that's where the PDF comes in. I bought a small amount of good heavier paper stock and can print my own.
We pay approximately $64 (AU) for the PDF (no merchandise) subject to the exchange rate at time of payment.

The exchange rate (AU$ to US$) has been pretty ordinary for many years now, we’re looking forward when it returns to parity :)