New member intro - May the madness begin

Afternoon all,

It seems I’m being attracted the this madness a not being a Harley rider but a BMW rider, I rarer beast wondering if I can cut the mustard.
Im Mebourne based ridign a BMW K1600B and have done some interstate city to city rides but never 1000 miles.
But Im wondering if I can cut it so planning a Melbourne (Emerald) to Coober Pedy ride to test my metal.

So anyone close who wants to yell out and educate on the error of my ways, yell out.
At this time as I dont know anyone stupid enough to do the ride, Ill do this solo.

Im thinking I’ll do a Melbourne to Adelaide return as a warm up to see how I cope with time and distance.
Thoughts ?

Biggles

Premier Member
Just do it! You learn from doing it. The bike is more than capable, so it's up to you to tough it out. Just recognise the signs of fatigue (sloppy corners, boredom etc) and pull over for a snack and bit of a walk. I don't eat much- just carry a small bag of roasted salted almonds that are crunchy, tasty and filling when washed down with an iced coffee during a refuelling stop.

Fatman

Welcome Brett.
On top of what Biggle's has said, i find keeping hydrated is on top of my list.
A camelbak either seat mounted, in your tank bag (which we have) or on your back which i don't like due to the weight. Sip water along the ride, it's too late waiting to have a drink at your fuel stops, chances are you are already dehydrated. And now and then drink some electrolytes, Thortz is a good one.
I only eat light food like a salad sandwich.

Good luck, hope that helps.

hagar

Premier Member
Afternoon Brett
Every thing the others said, plus Melbourne to Glen Osmond in Adelaide (depending where you start from) is 720 km, so back to Melbourne and up the Doom for 100km and back gives you a easy and straight forward 1640 km. If I can I could meet you in the servo in Glen Osmond and excort you back towards Melbourne. Also Melbourne to Pheasants Nest NSW is 796km, just another easy first on. But regardless good luck with your planning.

HACKLE

Welcome Brett. As has been mentioned above there are rides that are easier than to Coober Pedy. Up the Hume is probably the easiest because of the 110 speed limit. Plenty of knowledge here so don't be afraid to ask. Every question will be treated with respect. Cheers, and good luck.

Yamrox

Premier Member
Afternoon all,

It seems I’m being attracted the this madness a not being a Harley rider but a BMW rider, I rarer beast wondering if I can cut the mustard.
Im Mebourne based ridign a BMW K1600B and have done some interstate city to city rides but never 1000 miles.
But Im wondering if I can cut it so planning a Melbourne (Emerald) to Coober Pedy ride to test my metal.

So anyone close who wants to yell out and educate on the error of my ways, yell out.
At this time as I dont know anyone stupid enough to do the ride, Ill do this solo.

Im thinking I’ll do a Melbourne to Adelaide return as a warm up to see how I cope with time and distance.
Thoughts ?
Howdy Brett! Welcome aboard :D
Not to worry as we’re all a mixed bunch here (I ride a Yamaha R3 - not exactly a popular choice for LD riding but we all work with what we’ve got!).

Try to do a gradual build up of longer km rides at different hours of the day prior to the planned venture. Helps with preparing your body/learning how your body “handles” during different times. Doing so really helped me prepare for my first IB ride.