New Member Ready for More

Schpark

Premier Member
IBA Member
I just received my first Iron Butt ride approval (SS1000) that allows me into the club. Verification took a little over 19 weeks. I did an out an back from Minneapolis area to Wall, SD and back on September 5th, 1057 miles. The weather made it on the easy side for a first timer and the big plus was low to no wind.

Headed out about 4am and started Neil Peart's "Ghost Rider" on Audible. Listening to his story of riding to re-find himself after unspeakable tragedy helped the miles tick off effortlessly. The only hiccup came at my first planned gas stop. The station was completely out of gas. I was getting close to my comfortable range, but continued on and made it to the next town for fuel.

One of the best memories of the ride came well before sunrise once I got out of the cities. I was getting a little chilled and needed to add a layer but did not want to add an unplanned stop. It was very dark and I looked up and saw the stars in a way I that I haven't before. It was surreal. I had to remind myself to keep my eyes on the road due to the possibility of antlered rats. I added my layer at the gas station without fuel and did not have to take it off until about 2pm on the way back as I was starting to get hot.

The 80 mph speed limits in South Dakota were a blessing for making time but a curse for my trusty 92 Goldwing that maxes out the cruise control at 75. So do I ride manually at 80 with my arthritic wrist or just run at a max of 75. I ended up doing a little of both. Made it home at about 8:20, butt was a little sore (not officially iron yet) but I felt good. Just good enough to think that maybe a BBG is not out of reach. I had to finish the last 30 minutes of Ghost Rider the next day.

I was already hooked after the first ride and bought a 2022 R1250 GSA with the goal of an Alaska trip. Now patiently waiting for spring.

One question I have is regarding the license plate frame. Would it be frowned upon to put it on a bike that I have not done an official ride on?

Mark

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Welcome to the club Mark. I hope you enjoy many more IBA rides. The license plate backer is your call. Some are purists and only put one on "the bike" that did that ride. Others feel that you are the member, not the bike, so put it on any bike you own or all of them if you have more than one.

The only 'rule' is that if you sell a bike, remove the IBA plate backer and keep that, since you earned it and you don't want the buyer riding around with something they didn't earn themselves.

For reference, I have my Iron Butt Rally, 11,000 miles in 11 days plate backer on my 150cc scooter, as that's my only 2 wheel ride at the moment. I have ridden a SS1K on that scooter and across the US on a non IBA event, but I sometimes get some funny questions and fun encounters when people spot it.

Schpark

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks Eric. I will put it on the Wing. It won't be long before I have a certified ride on the GSA. 11,000 in 11 days on a 150cc scooter would be some sort of record.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks Eric. I will put it on the Wing. It won't be long before I have a certified ride on the GSA. 11,000 in 11 days on a 150cc scooter would be some sort of record.
We're all about choices. ;) Some years ago Ed Otto rode the IBR on a Honda Helix 250cc scooter. It was quite an epic ride for him. Its been done on a couple of 125cc motorcycles as well. The 150cc scooter won't meet the criteria for the current IBR for safety reasons, and that's a good thing. I did 4500 miles in 10 days and that was pretty tough at times by itself. I would not want to try the IBR on my 150cc scooter! :eek: You can see the smallest motorcycles that have done IBR on this list - LINK And the Not Right Riders at the very bottom of this page has some interesting entries too - LINK

HACKLE

Schpark, congratulations on your first IBA ride. As you've found out one is not enough. And so it goes, already planning your next. As Eric said, the plate's yours to do what you want to. Looking forward to your next instalment. Cheers.

Well done and congrats. I am guessing that by about April you'll have that GSA pointed South in search of some spring like temperatures. My math says those will happen to be out 1020 miles away, give or take, due South. Then, by mid summer, it'll have it's own plate backer.....

Dave28117

Premier Member
congrats on the milestone. I had never done a SS1k that quickly until last fall. I actually did my first BBG and was at 1000 miles about the same timeline as you. 14 1/2 hours. I completed my BBG in 23 hours total. that should give you a comparison of what to expect.

Schpark

Premier Member
IBA Member
New update. Tried to install the IBA license plate backer on the wing but the license plate is so old it has larger spacings between the top and bottom rows of holes so I would have had to drill holes in the backer. So I put it on the new GSA, now pictured in my avatar. Weather isn't cooperating as well as personal issues so the iron butt ride will have to wait a bit longer. I am only at 200 miles so want to get the break-in done before the next ride.

Firstpeke

Well done on completing the first ride!

Of course this means you have now joined the club of riders who are all both certifiable AND certified, often many times over!

Schpark

Premier Member
IBA Member
GSA is broken in now but the longest trip I have taken so far has been 175 miles. Honestly I don't think I could make it with the stock seat. I did the SS1000 with my stock 92 Gold Wing seat. So now adding new seat to my list of farkles. Also still need to get a new helmet and bluetooth communicator as the goldwing is old school wired. Interested in the Schuberth C5 if it ever makes it stateside as well as a Klim Badlands pro if the supply chain straightens out.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
GSA is broken in now but the longest trip I have taken so far has been 175 miles. Honestly I don't think I could make it with the stock seat.
Russell Day-Long saddles are a popular choice in the LD community. I had one on my ST1300, and I think it was even more comfortable overall than my stock 2016 Gold Wing seat (by no means a slouch).

Congratulations on your first IBA ride. If you're planning on more, I believe that you'll find Premier membership well worth it.

Schpark

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks. I am aware of the RDL seats prowess. If I do go that route I'll find a used seat to send off and keep my stock heated seat. I am a little nervous about the added height with the RDL.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks. I am aware of the RDL seats prowess. If I do go that route I'll find a used seat to send off and keep my stock heated seat. I am a little nervous about the added height with the RDL.
I noticed the added height at the first couple stop signs, and then rapidly adjusted.. you just kind of learn to scoot forward a teeny bit into the "waist" of the seat a bit.. unless you're really on the edge with your current bike, I suspect you'll be fine after adjusting to it!