New Mexico Rt 54

scottr

Premier Member
I've scheduled a BB1500 Gold for May 31 from Tucson to points east. One of my mapping programs suggested Rt 54 from Alamogordo to I-40 in Santa Rosa. It's an interesting possibility however I see it's two lane for a considerable distance. That tells me the average speed would possibility be less than 65 mph.

Anyone with experience about this route? Should I throw away the route from extreme routing consideration?

Thanks for any knowledge.

Steve Bell

Premier Member
Scott, I guess it would depend on where you are trying to get to? Can you tell us where your corner marks are? Are you trying to do a round trip BBG from Tucson? RT 54 could cause you issues depending on the time of day you are going to be on that road. It could slow your overall average below BBG pace.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Concur with the assessments.

You *could* make decent time, not sure if you could *maintain* decent time along that route.

scottr

Premier Member
Thanks for your thoughts. I pretty much came to the same conclusion. I making a run from Tucson to Pittsburgh, 2100 miles, day after Memorial Day. Might as well get this years extreme cert!

I would go interstate when possible for any certified ride unless I was extremely sure the alternate mapping was for sure quicker. I would without a doubt run I-10 to I-25 to I-40 if I was going through Santa Rosa and was on the clock. There is a sort of cut off from Deming, NM to Hatch, NM saving a few miles and maybe some time. I did not use it but it should not slow you down. You do have a border inspection station on I-25 but it has been a stop and go for me.

I saw plenty of radar being ran on NM I-10.

Steve Bell

Premier Member
Totally agree with Jerry. The I-10 to I-25 to I-40 should be a smooth ride where you can maintain BBG pace. If your goal is to get the BBG that is what I would do. Should be an awesome ride. Good luck and let us know how It goes.

ravenranger

22798 now 580
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I know it's a late reply and the trip is already done but I like Hwy 54 in NM. It's a little slow from Las Cruces to Alamogordo but from Tularosa to Santa Rosa it's one of those "lonesome" highways, loads more enjoyable than the expressway, and won't slow you down.