NEW Spotwalla

Got my account setup on the new web page and old info merged into it. Created a test trip covering today and tommorrow. Did a test ride today using the SPOT3 The Ride is not present in Spotwalla but does snow in SPOT. What am I likely missing?

-Mark

Jason Jonas

Premier Member
IBR Staff
Got my account setup on the new web page and old info merged into it. Created a test trip covering today and tommorrow. Did a test ride today using the SPOT3 The Ride is not present in Spotwalla but does snow in SPOT. What am I likely missing?

-Mark
It looks like your device's message interface was not active...

1616118851213.png

I enabled it for you and it's working properly.

Jason, another question about the Fill % for completed trips on the new site. The import indicated that all points were imported, but I am only seeing points about 90 minutes apart compared with 10 minutes on the old site (when choosing 100% there).

Old.png

New.png

Jason, another question about the Fill % for completed trips on the new site. The import indicated that all points were imported, but I am only seeing points about 90 minutes apart compared with 10 minutes on the old site (when choosing 100% there).

View attachment 6561

View attachment 6562
How do you get it to plot all the points - new Gen4 user on New site tried a test ride today and only got two straight lines - first time user of Spot and Spotwalla so apologies if I’m asking stupid questions

Jason Jonas

Premier Member
IBR Staff
Hey, Rick.

The trip view has some evolving to do yet, especially regarding the amount of fill that's returned. The issue isn't getting the data out of SpotWalla, but with the amount of work the client/browser has to do to render all the locations on the map. For long trips (years in duration) with large amounts of data, even the beefiest of clients have issues processing the data and rendering the map. So I'm trying to find the sweet spot without breaking stuff.

Having said that, I updated SpotWalla last night with some upgrades to the trip viewer and the amount of data returned. You still can't control the fill percentage, but it will return a much larger data set by default. Here's a portion of your trip...

1617393321038.png

So instead of marking each tracking location with a directional arrow I'm marking the "in between" locations with a small dot. You can still click the dots and see the message detail. It just keeps the map and locations easy on the eyes.

Edited to remove the IBR reference. Thought we were in the IBR forum. :)

Last edited:

Jason Jonas

Premier Member
IBR Staff
How do you get it to plot all the points - new Gen4 user on New site tried a test ride today and only got two straight lines - first time user of Spot and Spotwalla so apologies if I’m asking stupid questions
Hey, John.

What's stupid to some is intellectually stimulating to others. In my world, I don't discourage questions so ask away. Now, I may jab a little when certain questions are asked, but it's a friendly jab. And I'll give you a for instance...

You say you saw two straight lines after going for a ride today, right? I looked over your account and am pretty sure I see the issue...

1617394394889.png

You only have three locations and since a line is drawn between locations, that explains the two straight lines. ;) An easy way to see locations is the device browser. Here's the link to your device:

https://new.spotwalla.com/device/2516/browse/1

Don't worry. No one can see that data unless they know your user/pass or they're a SpotWalla God and can impersonate any SpotWalla user. And since I wrote the system, I am a God.

Ok. So what you need to know is that your SPOT device will send a new location every 10 minutes unless you upgrade to an extreme tracking package. Unless SPOT's changed their offerings, you can get that down to every 2.5 minutes. Me personally, I'm OK with every 10. And if two consecutive locations are any gauge, your device appears to be working properly.

When you're able, go for a nice looooooooooooooooooong ride and keep that SPOT in tracking mode with a good, clear view of the sky. You'll get much better results.

I did an attempted test run today of Bubbler and spotwalla (both the Bubbler New in the play store and the New spotwalla).

So, last night I created the trip for today and had it all set up, already set up my phone and Bubbler with Spotwalla to make sure it worked, and it did. Set up the settings on Bubbler for updating every 5 seconds, then the other option set to the recommended 30 seconds or whatever it was. Bubbler app doesn't have background data turned off.

Get ready to leave, fire up Bubbler, it's connected successfully. Open google maps and put a random location and ride around for 45 minutes with Google Maps navigation up. Can still see the notification at the top for Bubbler running.

Get to my stop, exit Google Maps, open Bubbler and take a picture with bubbler, am connected to WIFI, hit update.

Go on spotwalla and there's no tracking messages at all. Wth? I set up everything exactly according to the directions, the only messages from my device are where I manually hit update on bubbler at the end.

Can you not run Google Maps with navigation while using Bubbler or something? Because Bubbler didn't get ANY tracking points. It didn't even keep my tracking point where I started at home and manually hit update before leaving (and I have no secure zones set up). It's like as soon as I minimized it, it didn't track at all. Not one tracking point while it was in the background.

Google Pixel 4a 5G running all updates (Android 11).

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/2531-25bc226-7156/view

As you can see in this screenshot, there is only one tracking message, not even one from the start, only the one at the end. The tracking message from yesterday was actually when I was setting it all up.

Attachments

Jason Jonas

Premier Member
IBR Staff
<snipped stuff>

As you can see in this screenshot, there is only one tracking message, not even one from the start, only the one at the end. The tracking message from yesterday was actually when I was setting it all up.
Kyle, there are some permissions that we need to verify. By default, the app isn't allowed to "run" in the background and will only "work" when it's in use in the foreground. That's why some tracking locations are sent while the majority are now.

I'm reposting these steps from Joel who sent them in an email to another SpotWalla user...

1. In settings on the phone (drag down from the clock and click on the gear icon). Click on "Apps". Click on "Bubbler GPS New". Click "Permissions", click "Location", set to "Allow all the time".

2. Click "back" twice on the phone, so that you are in "App Info" for Bubbler GPS New. This can vary by phone, but you are looking for something that says "Battery". You DO want to allow background activity (allow tracking when the screen is off or Bubbler GPS is hidden). "Optimize battery usage" should say "Not Optimized".
Let's check these and we can go from there.

OK, it worked that time. This test run using new Spotwalla and new Bubbler on a Google Pixel 4a 5G (Android 11).
• Battery saver on
• Bubbler in the background, Google Maps navigation in the foreground
• Bubbler settings: 5 minute tracking points
• Android app settings for Bubbler: no battery restriction, location access set to always, background data allowed

So that's the only change was setting location access in Android from "while using this app" to "always". Thanks Jason.

I started this short trip around town at 88% charge and it was 82% charge by the time I stopped. That's not bad battery usage considering I had Google Maps navigation in the foreground on top of Bubbler in the background.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/e222-326ab76-589b/view

Essentially, when I attempt a SS1000 later this year, I considered using Spotwalla as a second source of data on top of the traditional paper method (and saving the trip from Google Maps). Testing now to see how it works. I don't know that I would pull up Bubbler to take pics and mark gas stops, seems a little time consuming on top of grabbing paper receipts and such. I plan on not even doing the paperwork until after the trip even, just keep it in a folder on the bike with scrap paper for quick access if I need to make special notes on a stop (like receipt date wrong or which stops were extended or for food, etc).

Last edited:

WY88

Premier Member
I did a test run today, only showed 2 straight lines (out and back) and only 2 of the check in point I physically activated, of the 4 I did and received emails on. Are the little "tracking dots" not part of the New Spotwalla?

Russ Black

Premier Member
It doesn't seem to be working today :( I have a friend currently doing a SS and it is a blank map. I tried to create an account so I can migrate and it has yet to send me the authorization code. So I think it's broken.

Russ Black

Premier Member
New app required to used the New Spotwalla for the iPhone - SWtracker

SWconnect connects to Spotwalla.com
SWtracker connects to New.Spotwalla.com

Who'd of thunk it? :eek:

Don't know about the android community.