Newbie trip report: California In-State SS1000

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Or you have no idea what you're talking about and making arrogant assumptions.

When you have riden the miles I have, are the mechanic I am and know everything about my bikes and the situations around my failures you can speak, until then, please don't make snide comments about me or my posts.

You don't know me, don't assume you do.
Back up, Marc - I was joking.

Baxter

Well after owning three shaft driven bikes with the drive shaft failing on two of them and I suspect the third was about to have an issue before I bailed and sold it, one leaving me stranded and costing many hundreds of dollars and one costing me a rally start, I'm a bit jaded after having the shaft give me the proverbial....at least with a chain you can easily inspect it before each ride and replacement is an easy side of the rode affair with common tools and easily obtained universal parts. Not ideal of course but sometimes old school is just better for some of us...there is no nirvana.

Now belts, I sure wish more bikes came with belt drive for sure.
Thats an amazing streak of bad luck.

Shame

Premier Member
Congratulations. Always good to see more riders out here in California.

I've heard nothing but good things about the DL650. We have one of the "little DR's that could" as well. Great little bikes for what they are.

I look forward to your next ride report!

Last edited:

Shame

Premier Member
Well after owning three shaft driven bikes with the drive shaft failing on two of them and I suspect the third was about to have an issue before I bailed and sold it, one leaving me stranded and costing many hundreds of dollars and one costing me a rally start, I'm a bit jaded after having the shaft give me the proverbial....at least with a chain you can easily inspect it before each ride and replacement is an easy side of the rode affair with common tools and easily obtained universal parts. Not ideal of course but sometimes old school is just better for some of us...there is no nirvana.

Now belts, I sure wish more bikes came with belt drive for sure.
I'm hoping the shaft drive on my f6b never grenades like that. All good things must come to an end I suppose. My first shaft drive and really love no messy flinging chain goop. Did you switch to a chain driven bike or using the GS in avatar?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm hoping the shaft drive on my f6b never grenades like that. All good things must come to an end I suppose. My first shaft drive and really love no messy flinging chain goop. Did you switch to a chain driven bike or using the GS in avatar?
My avatar is an older pic, that GS was one of the driveshaft victims amongst several other failures. I'm now riding an F850GSA, chain driven bike.

Russ Black

Premier Member
I have two different brands of bikes with drive shafts. One is an '02 and the other an '07. I change the oil in the Final Drives every time I change the engines oil because Final Drives are vented allowing debris to get into oil. They also don't have any form of filtration to catch the debris like the engine does.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Well I wasn't laughing. Perhaps check yourself and consider how others will read your posts before hitting the reply button.
Marc, is it possible that you're being thin-skinned about this?

It's not reasonable to expect all people to consider how every word they say will be interpreted by every person they speak with. That's nothing but a recipe for spending your whole life living in fear that someone will be offended.

You want Kerri to understand your feelings and position - is it too much to ask that you understand her position that she meant no offense and was only joking? Or do your feelings trump all other considerations?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Marc, is it possible that you're being thin-skinned about this?

It's not reasonable to expect all people to consider how every word they say will be interpreted by every person they speak with. That's nothing but a recipe for spending your whole life living in fear that someone will be offended.

You want Kerri to understand your feelings and position - is it too much to ask that you understand her position that she meant no offense and was only joking? Or do your feelings trump all other considerations?
Maybe, but I took it how I took it and was offended. I did not like the insinuation that my BMW driveshaft failures and associated expenses were due to my own ignorance and lack of maintenance. It's a sensitive topic for me for sure.

So my feelings count as well, no? I believe I've not been known to be malicious in this circle either, true?

And her response was to "back up" rather than an apology for not understanding and offending me.

Goes both ways.

Last edited:

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If there's one thing I've learned in this life, Marc, it's that no one can make you feel offended against your will. That's strictly a choice on your part. You either choose to let someone control your emotions, or you choose to control them on your own.
I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

Russ Black

Premier Member
I seem to remember out in the corporate world taking classes where we were instructed that if we were doing or saying something that offended someone, we needed to stop doing it. My question back to them was if I was offended by them being offended by something I said or did, then shouldn't they stop being offended since I took offense to that? On that thought perhaps they might be offended at me for being offend at them for being offended at me... then perhaps in an effort to stop this viscous cycle I should not be offended so they won't be offended at me being offended. Oh my brain is hurting.

Last edited:

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Therein lies the slippery slope of feeding on emotions and allowing ourselves to be offended. Not only does it give power to other people to control you, but it sets up a downward spiral of people placing their perceived rights and feelings above everything else, and then expecting that other people be forced into compliance to "make" them feel better.

Better to control our own emotions, brush things off, and go about our way. It used to be a part of civilized society, before "modern" people were taught in dozens of subtle ways that hurt feelings were the Ultimate Sin, and that your feelings were someone else's responsibility.

Baxter

To the extent that @kerrizor might have been talking about my kvetching over never-ending maintenance, I took it as good humor about my complaints. Not about my mechanical abilities or lack thereof. She could have said "first world problems" to the same effect.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
the only thing that was a real problem was my left ear. A day later, a bit of liquid came out of it,
In my experience that liquid is puss from a low level friction burn caused by the earplugs vibrating inside your ear canal. Even tight fitting foam spongies can vibrate (especially if they contact the inside of your helmet at all) and cause damage. To prevent this from happening, apply a light coat of lubricant inside your ears prior to inserting the plugs. My favorite is Neosporin+ with pain reliever. Does not take much but even with the in-ear monitors I now use, I can wear them for 32 hours straight without removing them and no more ear scabs. :D