Newbie visiting California/USA SS1000

Pogs

Hi I’m going to the states next month for 5 weeks... 1 week in San Francisco and then across to New York. I’m thinking about trying my first SS1000 whilst in Cal. I’m riding a 2009 Harley fat boy and am very interested in riding the PCH... is this suitable traffic/speed wise for the SS? Am thinking SF to SAN Diego and back on the freeway... if I’m still within the timeframe and want to continue I am then thinking to extend for the Bun Burner by riding up the coast to the Redwood National Park and back to SF. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Hi I’m going to the states next month for 5 weeks... 1 week in San Francisco and then across to New York. I’m thinking about trying my first SS1000 whilst in Cal. I’m riding a 2009 Harley fat boy and am very interested in riding the PCH... is this suitable traffic/speed wise for the SS? Am thinking SF to SAN Diego and back on the freeway... if I’m still within the timeframe and want to continue I am then thinking to extend for the Bun Burner by riding up the coast to the Redwood National Park and back to SF. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Hi Pogs - it is a beautiful ride; but not a route suitable for a SS. Riding down along the Monterey Peninsula is stunning and chocked with RV's etc. Last year I was riding south along PCH from SF and it took me nearly 10 hours to travel 200 miles. If the goal is a SS, then I recommend getting on the I-5. If you want to see some beautiful coastline - take PCH. Going north along Hwy 1 from SF allows for a faster sustained speed; but not something I would still attempt a SS along. Good luck.

Pogs

Hi Guys

Thanks so much for responding... yep just as I thought... nightmare. Oh well maybe I can find another route, was thinking Tulsa to Houston then up to Memphis or something like that. Thanks again

Scott Parish

Premier Member
That is a big swing. Definitely did not want to take the wind out of your sails; just don't think PCH is a good route for a SS. However, there are plenty of roads/routes to choose from while out in Cali. If you are in the San Fran area - a nice ride out through Reno looping around Tonopah is a great way to spend the day on a bike.

rebelmark

Premier Member
IBA Member
I did SF Bay area, to Death Valley, through Tonapah, and back home through Reno. 1020 miles, great ride, easy to stay on pace.

Mike721

Premier Member
If your interested in doing a SS1000 on the other side of the country (when your in NY area) let me know, I live in Pennsylvania, work in the Newark NJ Airport (one of the NYC airports) and ride all over this area, I might be able to help you plan it or some other rides, I have a few in the planning stages that I'd be more than happy to share ( or ride! )

I did my SS1000 on I81 in Pennsylvania, Maryland,Virginia, West Virginia and Tennessee, from Wind Gap, Pennsylvania to Bristol, Tennesee and back is a super easy, not much traffic issues, all high speed run..65-70 mph if not faster for 1067 miles. I stopped for an hour long lunch and was still done with hours to spare.
IMG_5918.PNG

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Guys

Thanks so much for responding... yep just as I thought... nightmare. Oh well maybe I can find another route, was thinking Tulsa to Houston then up to Memphis or something like that. Thanks again
So, you *could* consider your route toward NY and work in a SS1000 into that...yet, you *will* miss out on a lot of sightseeing that you'll miss out on.

I mean, you could just simply do I-80 eastbound (leaving the SFO area...) to get that 1000+ mile ride in.

Are you leaving the States from New York?

West of the Mississippi River? You can string together a SS1000/BBG/whatever at the drop of a hat. As Mike721 described above, there are some areas east of the Mississippi that are do-able as well. The further east (in general) that drops off, due to congestion/population/road works.

Hope that helps a bit more - sounds like a ride of a lifetime!

Pogs

Hi Guys... thank you for all the ideas, I’ve just been sorting my bike out ready for shipping over to San Fran. Will be looking at possible routes in the coming week, guess it will be down to timings, am in SF for a week, then group riding up 66 to Tulsa so either the Reno Toponah loop or something around west of Mississippi looking good. Am dropping the bike in New York end of July so plenty if time. Thanks again