Ninja 9R Saddlesore 1,000 takes me through Hells Canyon

IBA ZX-9R

Update: Dec 27th, 2019 -- 4K video rendering took longer than I could have imagined, as anyone who's attempted it before will know. Good news for you Iron Butt ride video junkies, the complete ride is finished and uploaded. For those looking to see what a Saddlesore 1000 looks like from start to finish, the 18+ hour ride is condensed into a six series time lapse. See thread link below dated today's date for the YouTube playlist.

I’m hooked! I was pumped leading up to this ride and enjoyed every minute of the experience. In fact, I was still fresh at the end and could have easily continued for several more hours. I only wish others were as lucky as us Iron Butt riders, because it’s a complete rush for me. from start to finish.

Currently in the approval process for the third Saddlesore 1,000 in three years. This one 1,056.7 miles on the odometer, weaving back and forth along the curves that made up this route. In the past, like last year, I recorded time-lapse for making a full ride video. The year before, just picture stills. For my third, time-lapse and video for one particular segment & time-lapse for the entire 18+ hour ride.

This time the course was different and a lot less physically challenging. Almost no 15 - 25 MPH twisty roads, replaced by 35 - 45 MPH sweepers. Not exciting on a sport bike. So to kick it up a notch, I wanted to highlight something a little different, a tank range run for a ZX-9R Ninja sportbike.

Ironically, there was a lot of road construction on the day of my SS1K attempt and unfortunately 100% of it in the tank range segment. I can’t say for certain, but just going by what other ZX-9R owners report about their bikes range when they run out, I’m fairly confident what was recorded has never been attempted on any other ZX-9R Ninja, ever.

I pick up the action 8.5 hours into my SS1K ride, collecting my gas receipt. Odometer showing 132,312 miles. Only one more planned stop in between for corner point proof of destination, but not for fuel. And no, there isn’t any other fuel tank of the bike, just the stock 5.01 US gallon tank.

Segment Trailer with complete YouTube playlist

Part I of III

Part II of III

Part III of III

Last edited:

IBA ZX-9R

Good eye! I-95 through Idaho is a portion of this station-to-station leg. Meandering roadway along the Bitterroot River.

If you own a Smart TV, these can be played back using the native YouTube App. Simply search for keywords in the video titles. A home theater sound system makes for an enjoyable experience as well.

The full four video playlist for short.

I forgot to mention some other context.
The video focuses only on ride leg distance from the departure location, but was for my IBA ride mile 540 and by the end of the leg, mile 800. When the complete video is rederred, this leg will be one of its highlights. Others will find the next 139 miles of Lolo Pass a little more appetizing.

Last edited:

HACKLE

IBA ZX-9R. A couple of observations......
Firstly, I was not aware that in the USA you had caravans. I assumed you only had Winnebago style motor homes.
Secondly, very courteous pick up driver. Pulls over to let you overtake. Rarely seen these days.
Enjoyed the footage through the pass. Cheers.

IBA ZX-9R

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed them.

I see that more and more from drivers, some who try too hard to move over and place themselves in danger doing so. I wish that instead of this type of behavior, drivers would make it a habit to maintain a slower speed in passing zones rather than go slow through corners holding up a pack of vehicles, then accelerating hard to keep everyone behind them in the straight-away passing zones.
:mad:

I think a lot more people are getting that feeling too. Why hold others up, when it's so much more pleasureable to just let them go and drive alone away from the pack. Besides, if some of those drivers are speeding, by all means, go on ahead.! I want them to clear the road of law enforcement for me. :D

HACKLE

That problem of slow everywhere except on the overtaking [straight-away passing] lanes seems universal. Definitely a problem down here in Australia. More than likely a male testosterone issue. :D:D

IBA ZX-9R

Six series playlist (click on picture below to begin video playlist)

Each video is one ride leg of my 2019 Saddlesore 1000, Reno, NV, to Big Fork, MT, via Hells Canyon.

Enjoy. :eek:

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
No write ups from me as my ibr ended in typical BMW fashion with a dnf due to a failed fuel pump 36 hours from the finish. I'm still stinging and bitter over it tbh.

IBA ZX-9R

:D

You're not alone, I think anyone would be after putting in such effort. Sometimes the failures make better stories than the successes. I, for one, would like to hear that story, begun with a quick review of all the planning and logistics. The emotional letdown of having a mechanical during a quest ride is something we all can identify with as something we all have floating in the backs of our minds.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ah ha ha the planning and prep for me was a story in failure in and of itself lol. My prep started in 2016 with the purchase of my K1600 as a target to make the IBR one day and building the perfect rally bike (for me) over three years, including going to the 2017 ibr start and finish, only to have that bike fail me in April on the way home after running a BBG1500 as a final "test" ride, two months before the start in 2019, requiring me to buy a new bike and build a new rally bike in under 6 weeks.

So the disappointment and financial hit of my failures were pretty severe. But hey that's the IBR, there are no guarantees you get in and no guarantees you'll finish...you roll the dice and suck it up, there is no crying and no one to blame but yourself no matter the outcome in the IBR....

You pick yourself up, dust yourself off and move forward, who knows, maybe I'll be fortunate to be on the starting line again one year, wondering if my bike will make the full 11 days that time.

Happy to share sometime over a beer while out on the road some time.

Last edited: