No oil in filter

Vlad

Premier Member
An 88 inch twin cam sitting on the side stand would not empty the oil filter over time just from sitting. Something is not right , I wouldn’t start it again untill you figure it out. If you had enough metal in the oil galleries to block the filter lines then your motor wouldn’t sound too flash. Sumps on the bottom of those and it holds about 2.5 quarts, what did you drop out? How much crap was on the magnetic drain plug?. How many miles on the motor, reason I ask is 03 models still had the spring loaded cam chain tensioner arrangement which was changed in 06. The tensioner shoe is under a lot of pressure and they have a fairly limited service life about 50-60 thousand kilometres, what ever that is in miles. One of the issues with that system is if you let them go too far past the service interval the shoes can shit themselves and the resultant chunks of the shoe can get sucked into your oil pump and block it. Not good.

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
HD gives more info. Oil pumps on HDs generally need to be primed when being replaced. Might be an issue for one that sat for a very extended time too.

Could also be a stuck open pressure relief valve, among other things.

Capone

That was a cool video. This will be another thing to check thank you again sir. Im still waiting for the filter to be dropped off to cut it

CB650F

Premier Member
Ask him to unscrew his current filter and see if oil leaks out all over the place, or if it's still empty. I agree with the previous posts. If he started it before changing the oil, it should have had oil in it.

If he unscrews the filter a bit and oil leaks out, like it normally would when changing the oil, he's fine. If not, some troubleshooting is definitely warranted.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
What is the filter make & number? Most have a anti-drain back valve, but some don't. You can look up the filter to find out if it has that feature. I had a car that had a filter with an anti-drain back valve that was malfunctioning and it took a few seconds for the oil pressure to come up until the filter filled after the car was started. A new filter ( same make & PN ) "fixed" the problem. So maybe you just had a bad filter.

Capone

I guessed others here and myself cared more about his bike then him. Im still waiting on the oil filter to cut. Wanted to thank everyone one more time for your input. At the least I learned from your posts.