Norway

IBRX3

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Been to Norway on a bike trip ?( preferably Flower sniffing)

I'm looking for "must go to" places in Norway. I've some idea myself of course of things to see, roads to ride and areas to go but I'd welcome input on must ride places especially if they are the lesser known ones.

Places to stay? Preferably at the cheaper end (if that's possible) Camping is an option on occasion!

GPS files gladly accepted if you have them.

Wild camping is free ! Camping on recognised sites is (or was in 2014) about £10 to £14 per night. Most campsites have 'huts' - think big, insulated garden sheds with bunk beds, light and heating. Some have basic cooking facilities and you use the campsite shower blocks etc, they were about £35 per night for up to 4 people.

I've been to Norway twice - first time was a 3 week trip to Northcape where I felt I really rushed things a bit - so I went back the following year and spent more time around south west Norway and the fjords. Stunning scenery and great roads. Lots of gravel roads as well if that's your thing.

Must do places include Lysebotn (try to plan to spend a night at the campsite and visit the pub), Laerdal Tunnel (longest tunnel in Europe ?) and also the 'old' road going over the top of the newer tunnel, Trollstigen (mainly to 'tick the box' and get a photo by the 'Beware of the Trolls' sign in the car park at the bottom) and the Atlantic Ocean Road.

Lots of ideas and inspiration at http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

Photos from my 2014 and 2015 trips here

https://www.facebook.com/owen.lewis...10152071171737820.1073741849.555482819&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/owen.lewis...10152859186637820.1073741856.555482819&type=3

Last edited:

IBRX3

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the links.
I had a look at Lysebotn on google maps. Would the pub you mention be Olavs ? It's the only one I can see.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
HI Chris,

the King Olaf Highway from Sweden down the Lofoten Islands is very good, even the Norwegians holiday in Lofoten. Yes the Leardal Tunnel has to be done it is amazing and at 24km the longest road tunnel you can ride through in the World (there are longer ones but you have to use a train). I rode through with 300 Harleys; it was an awesome experience.

Sognefjell Pass is a good ride but check snow warnings anytime of the year.

I like the 'shed' on campsites, I think they are called Heuters. But nothing in Norway comes under the heading of 'cheap'.

It is about the size of UK but only about 6million people and most of them live South of Trondheim, so anywhere North of Trondheim is sparsely populated and gives a true remote experience in Europe. Northcape is also a must on any bucket list, done it three times and would do it again if the opportunity arose.

Speed limits are low and if caught fines are horrendous, I've even heard of licenses being held and you have to exit the country! Also drink drive is zero tolerance, mind booze is so expensive you won't be drinking much anyway. Then again North of Trodheim there are very few Police or in fact anything but locals will inform on you if they think you are riding too fast. Be careful entering tunnels as wildlife often sleep inside tunnels out of the weather so as your eyes adjust to the dark you may find yourself in a herd of Sheep/Reindeer.

I really like Norway and say it is like Scotland for motorcycle touring but on steroids. It is a bit difficult to get there now, since the Newcastle/Bergen ferry stopped but well worth the effort.

Enjoy.

Aitch

Glad you brought this topic up - a trip to Norway is now on my "list". Just so happens the Feb issue of Bike magazine has an article about an 8 day tour to the North Cape - might give you some more ideas. You can get a free months trial to Bike magazine on Amazon/kindle etc