Odometer / GPS miles difference

WY88

Premier Member
Rode a SS1K yesterday, 2015 Wing. I use my Garmin 660 since I'm not a fan of the Wing Nav. Rode 1039 miles according to my GPS, Google Maps gives my fuel stops address to address mileage as 1033, ok nice and close. Wing mileage is 1079, pretty big spread. Could the bike be reporting such a mileage variance per 1000 (ish) miles?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
My 2016 has a 4% error as well...good news is, your speedometer should be reasonably (~1%) accurate. ;)

Magic Mike

Premier Member
I didn't realize that my speedometer was off until I did my SS1K with a couple friends. My 2014 UL reads 4 MPH faster, one friend has a 2016 UL and his reads 3 MPH faster, while the last guy has a Yamaha Raider and his runs 8 MPH faster than actual. We all ended up with much different mileage on the odometers in the end, but all ride the same ride. No wonder IBA requires Google maps miles, not odometers. Funny to think all this time, when I thought I was running 5 MPH over the speed limit, I was actually only 1 MPH over.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Speedo/odo's will read low i.e an indicated 30 mph is 27mph true as no Manufacturer wants a law suit if you lose lose your licence because their equipment is wrong.
In the UK the speed camera's allow 10% for this +2mph for any discrepancy in the equipment for example in theory in a 70 mph limit you can do 77 mph but don't bet your licence on it.

michiel kerkhof

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My HD's are 3.5 and 4% off my yamaha's are 6 and 8% off and my Beemer is 1% under.....European rules however give you very litthe leeway....5km over the limit is what triggers the camera's....4 over ypou're ok 5-6 over it's minimal 65 euro's over for 1 km!!

Vlad

Premier Member
My GSA reads roughly 40 k light in 1600 and subsequently all rides are longer than might be necessary, it can be irritating on occasion. Speedo is within 1%

Cory Ure

Premier Member
Motorcycle speedometers and odometers are notoriously inaccurate. I've seen some H-D's really close, but most motorcycles have variances of 5% - 10%. My FJR is 6% high/fast.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Speedo/odo's will read low i.e an indicated 30 mph is 27mph true as no Manufacturer wants a law suit if you lose lose your licence because their equipment is wrong.
Not always... The speedo in my Dodge Ram indicates 57 at an acutal 60. The wife's Durango is even further off. Indicated 55 is an acutal 60. Yes, they both have correct tires mounted.