Pee Stops

OK guys and gals you responded to my "Monkey Butt" question and thank you. You have explained why I have not experienced Monkey Butt. The short answer has been that I wear good correct gear.

Now for you "Big Dogs" that do not have baddlers as large as the fuel tanks allowed on the IBR. Not to be sexist but it is the guys I need to hear from.

I read a detailed article (I can't remember where or by whom) written by a lady nurse doing long rides who used an external catheter to solve the problem of controlling the stops for taking care of liquids no longer needed by the body. I have not read any details used for us guys.

I would like to be able to go 300 miles without worrying about being forced to stop for a pee break. I have looked on line at some external catheters. I would like to have some feedback from you guys who have mastered the "pee on the go" art. What do you use other than God given large internal bladders? Name brands would also be helpful.

I have eliminated coffee well before a ride. I use a hydration pack which helps a lot by spreading the water intake over a longer period of time. However, especially after sleeping, I must "go" after about 100 miles and then again after the next 100. Then usually stops every 200. I have become good at discreetly checking my motorcycle equipment along the interstate. I just keep it away from the pipes. About 300 miles without a nature break only stop would be my goal.

One time I did go 12 hourso_O of airplane travel because I had no time between flights plus with a broken leg it was too much trouble to get out of my seat. But I went without drinking any fluids a couple of hours before the first flight and none after the first take off. Can't do that riding. Plus I had an adult diaper on just in case. The diaper is not comfortable on the motorcycle, tried that. 15 minutes was it. :mad:

I know part of the problem I have is that I am an old fart heading towards 70. However, I still want to ride a BB1500 Gold and the 50CC. The Gold I must be able to master the pee. The 50CC would just be a little easier at 300 mile intervals.

Your experienced help is appreciated.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
I just suck it up and go when I have to go. I've tried the "cut back on liquids" and that comes back to bite you big time either during a ride or after. As long as I'm sitting (on the bike for instance) I can hold it for a few hours, but once I stop and stand up, game over; I need to unload fluids, and I need to do it NOW!

I typically refuel between 175 and 200 miles so that coordinates fairly well with my ability to "hold it". While many can make a 5-7 minute fuel stop and then get back on the road, my stops are more like 10-15 minutes due to having to pee. I'd rather risk a ride than risk medical issues or even pissing in my pants. However, if it was near the end of a BBG and it was a choice of completing the ride or having wet drawers, I'd be squishing my way to the final receipt.
;)

I have modified my bike to run on a gas-urine mix. An electrostatic converter breaks down the urea into diesel exhaust fluid and ethanol. I just pee into a tube and pipe it back into the fuel tank.
Would you like to buy my bridge in Brooklyn?
:)

In real life, I am looking for a McDonalds on an off ramp or rest stop or a big bush on the side of the road every couple of hundred miles.
-DL

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
You need to be relaxed on iron butt rides otherwise the stress will get to you and you'll fail.

If you have got your fluids right, and your solids right, and your sleep right, and your route planning right, and you've completed the mental checklists three or four times without having to correct last minute mistakes, and the combination of weather & your gear is right you probably won't bother fretting about your pee stops and you probably won't have to go.

If you haven't got all that right, or you fret about pee stops, or you set a target such as "no pee stop for the next n miles" - you'll almost certainly have to stop on the motorway and pee in the bushes, or your pants if you're not quick enough.

Skidoo

Premier Member
Well Jerry you're not alone. One plus here in Oz, we often have hundreds of kilometres between houses in our remote locations enabling us to have relief almost anywhere when we just can't hang on anymore. It's funny, often we just park the bike on the roadway with it still idling, dismount and there you are as often traffic is sparse.
On a practical note, there is a fine line between maintaining hydration and falling into the trap of dehydration. As you're aware urine colour is the key.
Your on the right track by cutting coffee, reduce all beverages/foods that act as diuretics.
Be positive and have a solid plan.
When you need to to go do you really need to go? You'll surprise yourself and I find I can push myself often for another couple of hours. Just try, focus on something else, distract your mind.
Catherisation, uriderms etc, IMHO there are too many issue/complications.
Worst scenario, you stop and have a pee, it's better than trying to go when your riding, I can tell you it just dosent work and I had the aroma follow me for 12 days.
Don't worry about it mate,enjoy the ride!

biquer

Premier Member
As previously said manage your hydration properly, I suspect some overdo it. I can hear the hydration 'enthusiasts' grinding their teeth. I can push back against the need to pee. Try to remain calm and don't take the first twinge as a sign that you need to pee soon. Assess the facts. How long ago did you pee? Do you really need to pee now or was it slightly panic/anxiety induced? Stressing about 'where is the next opportunity for me to pee' adds to this. Convince yourself that you're ok for a while yet, drive it down and you might find yourself getting past the notion. However, when you do decide to pee you need to relax. Do not force it and most importantly don't stop it too soon. If you are anxious to get going again this can happen. You need to give it every chance to run its course.
Obviously everyone's different but this works for me. 1 week caffeine and alcohol free beforehand and I can ride in comfort and without anxiety between fuel stops.

Thanks guys. Good words of wisdom. I appreciate the feed back.

Well, I am glad I am not the only one who has had to distract my thinking about taking a pee in order to last a little longer. Also, peeing by my idling motorcycle is something that not only I do.

It sounds like any form of catheter may be replaced by a good diet, a little mind control, and good planning. If all else fails there is always the side of the road. There is always something to check on a motorcycle. :cool:

Jerry,
There is a practical side to all of this. With a cath your "output" has to go somewhere, either down a tube inside your trousers onto the road (splashing your boots and bike) or into a bag. Neither is convenient - caths slip and leak, bags leak and need to be emptied. Stop when you need to stop. Take the opportunity to stretch out and do something to pump a little blood around. It will help to keep you alert and break any highway hypnosis that may have crept in without you noticing.
-DL

I normally do between 200 and 250 miles between my fuel stops. When filled up, I always drink some water and sometimes eat a bit of my food as needed (I always bring some water bottles and a lunch pack with me in the topbox).

But I had one problem; as I want to fill the tank before doing anything else (which you know is the most natural order when arriving at a gas station), I sometimes stood there filling up while really crossing my legs (and it didn´t help to see/hear the petrol running into the tank!) When filled up, I pulled my bike in front of the store and vent inside to borrow the toilet... and very often there were one, two, three people queued up for the toilet, which was not what I needed right there!

So, what could I do to avoid this? I simply decided to stop when I felt the need for peeing; find a suitable place to stop, let the bike idle, pee, walk around the bike and then go on. This only takes a few minutes, without any stress waiting in a queue, I get my legs stretched at the same time, and when filling up the next time, I can do it without any "pressure" :). And, I don´t have to go into the store, I just fill up, drink, maybe eat and then go on, so all in all I think this method actually spares me some minutes and, at the same time, removes some stress from the Ride.

A catheter has never been an option to me, I think the fear of it leaking or having problems with it when getting off and on the bike, would stress me itself.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks guys. Good words of wisdom. I appreciate the feed back.

Well, I am glad I am not the only one who has had to distract my thinking about taking a pee in order to last a little longer. Also, peeing by my idling motorcycle is something that not only I do.
In general, the better the gear, the easier it is to, um, do it when it's time to accomplish the task.

Stop it! The gear you're wearing... :D Geez!

Seriously, ran into this yesterday. Cold - for hours, on a little get-together weekend while heading home yesterday. All of the layers I had on made it quite the challenge.

Three gas stops, one pee stops. That was effort.

Yeah, I had to go when I got home.

Last edited:

RichmonS

Premier Member
I have done a BBG and I have tend to have a rather tiny tank.

By and large I stop when I need to go and usually combine it with a fuel stop in that case. The thing that I do is manage my drinking. I pace myself with a Camelbak and I have found that I don't need to stop more for a bio than I do for fuel. With the heat of the riding season you will be surprised how much your body sweats which reduces your need to urinate.

Combining fuel and bio breaks together is generally the preferred process. However, I may vary from this depending on how many hours/miles left on the clock, day/night, location and/or logistics. For example - if running short on time, I might only get fuel; but if the pump does not provide a receipt, I will add bio to the trip inside. Otherwise I will stop between fuel locations for a quick elimination next to the bike. I prefer to do this always if riding at night or open stretches of road (no worries about exposure sensitivities - or worries about leaving the bike unattended next to a pump or the extra time to move from pump to store front) plus I'm off the bike twice for stretching using the same amount of time versus one longer stop. Overall - I don't put a lot of thought to the matter - if I have to go; I stop. Of course there are times when you hold out a little longer than comfortable because of a planned fuel stop coming up; but if it is more than an hour - I prefer to stop for a minute and ride to the next fuel stop in comfort. As a nurse - I have treated a patient or two over the years with a ruptured bladder. I don't see the need for catheters - we are not racing and the prize money is not worth it.. :) In my opinion - all IBA rides are achievable riding a moderate pace within the posted limits with mindful stop periods.

Rusjel

Premier Member
I like doing what Skidoo had to say on this subject. Generally I can alingn my breaks to coincide with fuel stops, but when I can't I make the most of it. So I get off the bike, take a whiz, perform a stretch or two or do a set of squats or push ups and get back on the bike feeling refreshed and having only lost a minute or two at most. Easier for us Aussies as most of our roads aren't interstates.

Back when I was an Instrumentation contractor working in the desert we'd be crawling over terrain in our series two Landrovers or early Cruisers. We'd slow down and take a whiz through the kick vents down near our feet. If you cut the stream just before your bladder starts to run low on pressure you can, with practice, get it all,out the kickvent. Hold on however and there was the inevitable misfire onto a hot vehicle floor, making you extremely popular with your mates! mmm hot cooked urine.....

Well, so far you guys have been doing what I have been doing. Except I need to work on the mind game. I agree part of it is all in the mind. I don't have to go when I pull up to a fuel pump. As soon as I start to pump fuel, I have to go. I think it is sort of like when a dog sees another one mark territory. When I see one fluid being dispensed my mind tells my bladder, oh :eek:it is time for me too.

The only mention of a catheter in the responses has not been positive. I also thought about the leaking and emptying as a problem. That is why I wanted some feed back from the "Big Dogs". It sounds like that can be a problem so a catheter is ruled out unless someone can recommend a comfortable fool proof method.

On my IBA rides so far I have usually, after the first 200 miles, been able to coordinate the nature breaks with fuel or food or a bike check on the side of the highway. That was on my Honda VTX 1300 with the small auxiliary tank. My Yamaha RSV with my new auxiliary tank I plan to go 300 to 350 miles between fuel stops.

Maybe with a little mind control I can master the bladder. I have not been diagnosed with any urinary disorders. I have held it in a car trip for 400 miles. So as concluded by you guys it is a matter of managing the fluids, eliminate diuretics, and control the mind. But when a person has to go...GO.

Thanks

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Well Jerry you're not alone. One plus here in Oz, we often have hundreds of kilometres between houses in our remote locations enabling us to have relief almost anywhere when we just can't hang on anymore. It's funny, often we just park the bike on the roadway with it still idling, dismount and there you are as often traffic is sparse.
:)
Whenever I see a comment like that it reminds me of a ride up in Nebraska back in 2011. I was in the middle of "nowhere USA", and with the exception of this oncoming truck there was no traffic on this road for about half an hour. After the truck passed I stepped out onto the yellow stripe in the middle of the road and let loose. Ahhhh... it sure felt good. Yet...

Nebraska_pee.JPG

I couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching as I was unloading. But where were they? I looked and looked, and finally saw some movement. Can you see them? Up by that little rise close to the center of the photo?

antelope1.JPG

No? You still can't see them? How about if I go full telephoto?

antelope2.JPG

Probably half a mile away or more, but yep, they had been watching my antics with a curious eye, I'm sure. And I still find it strange to this day that I could sense I was being watched. (cue Twilight Zone theme music)

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I don't exactly remember which leg of the Team Lyle Nevada event it was, but I'd learned earlier that sometimes, there's a benefit to separate fuel stops and bio-stops.

I'd snagged fuel quite quickly, got back on the road. Y'know when you know you could go, but decide "naah, I'll wait"? You only do that a couple of times...at least I did.

I pulled over, deposited a couple hundred cc's of urine on the dirt shoulder of that road, and thought "if it was only this easy on every ride!"

:D

I guess the end result - ya do what you can, when you can.