Peter Behm heading for his final check point

Peter Behm, winner of the 2011 Iron Butt Rally, has been fighting a battle with Pancreatic cancer for a little over a year. This past summer things were looking up but things have taken a drastic turn for the worse over the past couple weeks and the situation does not look good. Below is a post from Paula, his wife, on his caringbridge site:

Journal entry by Paula Closson Behm —

It is with great sadness that the Behm team won't have enough points to win this rally. Today the transition from agressive treatments to comfort care is happening. Pete is to ill and weak to under go any more treatments. He has asked to be kept comfortable, be surrounded by Family. The breathing machine he is on is maxed out. And Pete has chosen not be intubated. He will stay in the Hospital where Nursing staff can give IV anxiety and pain medication; the Respiratory Therapist can assist with the B-pap (breathing machine). Now it is in the hands of a higher power.
Here is the link to his caringbridge site.

I just returned from spending the afternoon with Pete where he is surrounded by friends and family. Paula is reading the comments being posted from all of you. It brings a smile to his face. If you have anything to say at all, please post a comment on caringbridge for Paula to read to him.

Thanks for posting this. I saw it on the LD Rider List earlier today, and it has taken a while to sink in.

My warmest feelings to Peter and his family.

Oh yeah .... Fuck Cancer!

TripperMike

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Reading the comments that so many are writing on his Caringbridge site, gives only a small indication of how he has affected people he came into contact with. He enjoyed hearing how a beginner's rally went as much as others enjoyed listening to how his rallies and rides went. The thing is I don't remember him talking much about his rides; he was too busy listening. Prayers sent.

Paul Slaton

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The world is a little less today.
I, for one, have lost a wonderful example of how to be.
Its strange how this news and his passing has affected me so deeply.
I knew Peter only briefly, but that is something that I will carry with me always.
This is a very special group of people. I appreciate very much being among you.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Sometimes, it's hard to 'like' anything on a thread like this...

Never had the opportunity to meet him, but have read about his exploits.

Condolences to his friends and family at this time.

chfnelson

Premier Member
I was very saddened to read of his passing. I did not know he was that sick. We did several rides 'together'. He will be missed.