Phone or GPS?

Rusjel

Premier Member
Spent a couple of days in a friends car last week and was very impressed with the GPS system on his phone. He could do it online or, if the program sensed he was going to travel through a low signal area if could download the maps and work offline. Pretty nifty.

My little Garmin Nuvo is just about dead and I'm going to upgrade. I'm going to get a GPS compatible with the Hema off-road map set so I can down.oad stuff both onto the bike and the Landcruiser.

So my plan would be to run both the new GPS and the phone using the app as well.

Is anyone using their mobile phone for IBA routing and if so, what do you think?

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Russ.
Ive just started making better use of maps on my phone. Hy lids not set up for sound so im sort of old school new world about this.
But it finds all i need for work and im pretty happy with this discovery. Id say exore it mate.Karl hS some sort of phone rig as does Ron.
Bubbler seems to be popular too as a link to your routes as tbey play out.

Tele

Premier Member
A question for those that use Google Maps on their phones whilst out riding ..... does this require the use of copious amounts of cellular data or can you utilise the navigational maps in an "off-line" mode during a ride?

thekaz

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I use some WAZE and mainly TomTomGo plus a NOAA weather app with an Samsung S5 . Offline maps, water proof, cheap enough to not worry, nice bright screen and glove friendly with the right settings. Cost me $200CAD
For mounting I am using a RAMs intelliskin and basic mounts on a ST1300. I also have some FLICs but have not set them up with this S5 yet

A question for those that use Google Maps on their phones whilst out riding ..... does this require the use of copious amounts of cellular data or can you utilise the navigational maps in an "off-line" mode during a ride?
When I was using Verizon and data was metered I spent 17 days in Mexico (2016) and used about 2GB of data - exclusively for mapping and routing with Google Maps and WAZE. I am not sure if that is a lot or not. My last day I got a warning I was almost out of data.

Tele

Premier Member
Thanks John. Cellular Data is relatively expensive in Australia and the reception outside of main cities and regional towns is generally poor. I use one of the main carriers and pay about $50AUD per month for around 12Gb of data. I have a Garmin GPS (BMW Motorrad) which requires SD cards to update (no auto online free map upgrades).

Rusjel

Premier Member
Thanks gents, I've been reviewing my options and one of the map sets I'd like to get is the Hema off-road maps for Australia.

It is available with their HX1 GPS or they will sell you the maps. I can't get them to respond to my queries, has anyone bought the maps and installed them on their Garmin motorcycle GPS?

If I can do that I'll pay off the old GPS in my Landcruiser and just run the one GPS between the two vehicles.

Fatman

Thanks gents, I've been reviewing my options and one of the map sets I'd like to get is the Hema off-road maps for Australia.

It is available with their HX1 GPS or they will sell you the maps. I can't get them to respond to my queries, has anyone bought the maps and installed them on their Garmin motorcycle GPS?

If I can do that I'll pay off the old GPS in my Landcruiser and just run the one GPS between the two vehicles.

Not sure if this will help Russell

https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/garmin-gps-aussie-map-upgrades.1598/

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Im trading all this map stuff just now.
Ive a ride comming up and might need to go a bit detailed with the nav thing cos it looks eazy to miss a turn or two. Route should be eazy to define... but. Under the pump and out of ghe way...well lets say gravity and a paper map does not always mean up is Darwin.

Farkleit

Premier Member
for the car i use my samsung s8 works great.
But when im riding i use a Garmin 660.
Best thing i ever did was buy TYRE TO TRAVEL i do all my routes on it and then straight into the garmin upload.
Shits allover base camp. allows you to drop pins at exactly where you need to turn etc.
check it out, and besides not all of Aust has cellular coverage for mapping.
Always get satellite to the GPS

Tele

Premier Member
for the car i use my samsung s8 works great.
But when im riding i use a Garmin 660.
Best thing i ever did was buy TYRE TO TRAVEL i do all my routes on it and then straight into the garmin upload.
Shits allover base camp. allows you to drop pins at exactly where you need to turn etc.
check it out, and besides not all of Aust has cellular coverage for mapping.
Always get satellite to the GPS
I have TYRE loaded at home and I agree that it is a far more intuitive product than Basecamp. My only issue is that TYRE is based on a Google Maps platform. My Garmin is not. Therefore, if I upload a route in TYRE and it includes new roads that are not yet in the Garmin maps, the full route does not transfer accurately across. The GPS auto-recalcs to the maps it has and I get misdirected as a result (based on experience). As an example, the Garmin upgrades have struggled to keep up with all the new freeways and motorways on the east coast Pacific Highway route.